Can we stop talking about how BJ Penn is a legend when Dennis Siver whoops his butt this Sunday?

it was a great 10 or so years. he wasn't as good as GSP, that much is evident. that's really his only knock in the first decade of his career, that he wasn't better than the best ever a weight class above his. but he was better than the 2nd best ww ever. that's saying something.

a few years later, the Edgar I bout was close. and then the Edgar II bout was absolutely not close, and he should have just stopped soon after that. now it's just.....late Evander Holyfield.

but TS knows all this. he's just trolling, and now giggling like a tween-age girl. so i'm out. cheers.

GSP was the greatest ever in a weight class above him, yet BJ still almost beat him in their first fight.

GSP was the greatest ever in a weight class above him, yet BJ still almost beat him in their first fight.

...he won the first round after GSP's head was opened up due to a headbutt... but hey, lets just ignore that part right?

Although I do think that Siver will win the fight..

BJ Penn is still a legend of the sport. Perhaps THE legend of the sport.

If you understand the context of his wins, and how revered each of his opponents was at the beginning of his career, you know that he's a legend.

He was a BJJ champ who came in and started knocking the best fighters in the world out, choked out a seemingly unstoppable Matt Hughes at welterweight, then completely destroyed the lightweight division for 3 years.

Last edited:
Yeah most people go too far with these older fighters. They were ultimate tough men, not elite fighters. Couture, Penn, Shamrock, Ortiz, all pretty much one dimensional fighters. You can certainly call them legends but acting like these guys are all time greats just because they did it first is stupid
Penn is one dimentional? in what aspect?
his bjj, came from winning 3 medals in the world's championships in a row, and fastest american to earn a BJJ black belt.
His boxing was praised by none other than ATG trainer of Pacquiao, Freddie Roach. Most his wins came by KO
He has defeated MWs.

If BJ is one dimensional, then BW champ Cody Garfunkel is too.

BJ, Rampage, and Sakuraba would make up the GOAT lazy training crew.

BJ with motivation would have been unstoppable. You cannot take away his legendary status just because you just started watching mma a few minutes ago.

1-6-1 in his last 8 fights. Sub .500 over his last 18 fights with a record of 7-10-1. Hasn't won a fight in 7 years. He's not good. Never that good. Not motivated. Never motivated.

I think its time we stop calling BJ Penn a legend after Siver destroys him this Sunday. I'm sick and tired of delusional people on here trying to convince me he's one to the GOATs.
TS in 1980: "Can we stop calling Ali a legend after Trevor Berbick whips his ass this weekend? We already saw his overrated ass lose to Holmes, Frazier, and Norton. He was never that good, just popular because of the Civil Rights movement."

His great title run consisted of people like Joe Stephenson and Diego Sanchez. Enough said.

TS in 1980: "Can we stop calling Ali a legend after Trevor Berbick whips his ass this weekend? We already saw his overrated ass lose to Holmes, Frazier, and Norton. He was never that good, just popular because of the Civil Rights movement."

Penn isn't one of those guys. He was never a GSP, Jones, Fedor, or Anderson. Stop. To put him in a category of a great like Ali is fucking stupid.

I do agree that BJ is overrated

BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend

BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend

BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend

BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend

BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend

BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend

BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend

BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend

BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend

BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend

BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend

BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend

BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
BJ Penn is a legend
Noddingbjpenn.gif

1-6-1 in his last 8 fights. Sub .500 over his last 18 fights with a record of 7-10-1. Hasn't won a fight in 7 years. He's not good. Never that good. Not motivated. Never motivated.

I think its time we stop calling BJ Penn a legend after Siver destroys him this Sunday. I'm sick and tired of delusional people on here trying to convince me he's one to the GOATs.
Siver by KO

Penn isn't one of those guys. He was never a GSP, Jones, Fedor, or Anderson. Stop. To put him in a category of a great like Ali is fucking stupid.
To diminish what he DID do is even more stupid. Stupid.

THIS WAY FOR YA!

tankout.jpg

Somewhere out there Positive Balance just read this thread and had a stroke.

We aren't dealing with a particularly difficult concept to grasp here but I'll spell it out for you retards who need things laid out in simple terms.

BJ absolutely demolished the best LWs of his era and on top of that went up in weight to beat the best WW of all time at that time.

He stuck around WAY WAY WAY the fuck too long and has taken quite a few losses in fights he had absolutely no business being involved in, many against much larger, much younger guys in their prime while BJ was well beyond his.

Father Time NEVER loses. The best fighters in history have gotten whooped by fighters that wouldn't have touched them in their prime, but the game is tough to walk away from, the fame, the attention, the money, the spotlight, it gets these guys hooked like heroin and even when it is clear as day to everyone else that it is time to hang them up, fighters can't let go.

BJ should have retired after the 2nd Frankie fight, he shouldn't have been sanctioned for the 3rd Frankie fight and I have no idea why the fuck ACs are still sanctioning him to fight top level guys....

Back