Can we really say UFC dead? Conor, Lesnar, Silva, now Bones

Espresso

Post USADA
@Silver
Reaction score
If jones does come back, how can we possibly say the UFC is dead.

Some of the biggest names ever are all fighting in 2018.

UFC is not dead, it just smells like that!

What is with all these Juicehead click-bait threads?

though the "UFC is dead" meme is relatively new, the opinion/perspective is not. people have been predicting the UFC downfall since before i started perusing these forums in 2002. back then they had 1 revenue stream: PPV. but that all changed.
  • TUF and the Spike deal proved em wrong.
  • and then they transitioned that into over 100 tv deals around the world. that proved em wrong again.
  • and then they moved to Fox. that proved em wrong again.
  • most recently they inked a deal to move to ESPN+. that proved em wrong again.
meanwhile, some fans are still thinking in terms of PPV being their only revenue stream, as it was pre-TUF. which makes their analysis over 12 years outdated. which makes them about as clever as this guy:

will over-saturation eventually hurt the UFC? it could. maybe the 4th major US TV deal will suffer for it. or the 7th. but so far, the nay-sayers have a long and consistent history of being flat out wrong.

Last edited:
Depends on what the word "dead" means. As stated above, people have predicted the UFC's "death" before...but it's still here. If by "death" you mean bankrupt and gone...then I doubt that'll ever happen. My definition of the word "dead" in this instance means "subpar", "over exposed", "lame", not as good as it used to be....etc, etc, etc. I would say yes in that regard. I feel the fights and fighters used to be better, classier. I still miss Pride.

Get Rousey back and they could have a big 2019.

It’s difficult to say if the UFC is on the downside…I believe it is. I like to look at who can sell pay per views and what fighters get the general public excited… the list is small

Conor, Nate, Brock, Nick, GSP, Jones

That’s 6 fighters and almost all of them are part timers

Then when I look at the divisions this is what I see

Flyweight - all manlets

Bantamweight – Alphamanlet - boring

Featherweight - Ortega is a stud, ZABIT, Max Holloway... a few others I guess
Lightweight - Best division in the UFC – need I say more

Welterweight – Has seen better days – Tyron doesn’t draw, chael 2.0 makes a mockery of real combat sports, Till is still green and then you have Lawler, Maia – a lot of guys who are on their way out.

Middleweight – Luke, The Chris, Yoel – these guys headlining a pay per view doesn’t generate much buzz – it’s just the way it is – some good fights to be made, but nothing groundbreaking and no real up and comers to get excited about (maybe Usman)

Light Heavyweight – this division isn’t what it used to be – needs Jones to make a return

Heavyweight – Brock maybe? DC doesn’t have many fights left and a bunch of guys close to 40 that are on their way out – Hunt, Overreem

In conclusion I think we have some great fights on the horizon... but need some new stars to really emerge and generate some excitement. This is the fight business - you need some storylines, personalities, some rivalries and just good exciting fights. Oh ya and I forgot about the women’s divisions… whoops

3 PED users, two of them close to 40, and a leprechaun with one foot out the door are the things we point to to say the UFC isnt having issues?

Last edited:
though the "UFC is dead" meme is relatively new, the opinion/perspective is not. people have been predicting the UFC downfall since before i started perusing these forums in 2002. back then they had 1 revenue stream: PPV. but that all changed.

TUF and the Spike deal proved em wrong.
and then they transitioned that into over 100 tv deals around the world. that proved em wrong
and then they moved to Fox. that proved em wrong.
most recently they inked a deal to move to ESPN+. that proved em wrong.

meanwhile, some fans are still thinking in terms of PPV being their only revenue stream, as it was pre-TUF. which makes their analysis over 12 years outdated. which makes them about as clever as this guy:

will over-saturation eventually hurt the UFC? it could. maybe the 4th major US TV deal will suffer for it. but so far, the nay-sayers have a long and consistent history of being flat out wrong.

they are inking deals sure - the company isn't going to vanish tomorrow- but I get a sense that the product has deteriorated. Some of the cards they put on seem so irrelevant that I cant be bothered spending saturday night watching no names and unranked female fights. Ratings are down across the board thats not a mystery.

I agree with you that people have been saying the company is dieing for a long time and it has always bounced back.. but lately i'm not so sure - things have been worse since WME IMG merger.

Don't worry, bro, Sugar O'Malley will save the day, bro! Weed and tattoos, bro!
You must believe, bro!
Have faith, bro!

h-BRACO-THE-GAZER-628x314.jpg

UFC is just perpetually "dying bro," it's never dead.

speaking of the next big thing and finding talent.. what ever happened to dana white looking for a fight? I thought they got picked up to make another season ...

Last event's prelims were maybe the first one I skipped live. I caught the replay for the Aljamain rare submission.

Last PPV I bought was GSP choking Bisping unconscious.

why do people make a thread responding to something they read somewhere as if we have any clue what they're talking about.

Why don't you just respond to whoever it was that told you UFC was dead?

Just reminds you how bad WME is at repping fighters.

Brock and Conor will probably just be back for one fight.
Is it confirmed Jones is allowed back?
Anderson Silva is still a draw but also an old man now.

Back