Can someone please explain this to me.. (Hunting related)

p4pgoat

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score

This guy kills a bear, alright no problem with that. Presumably, he'll harvest (correct terminology?) the animal and consume the meat. Guy completely loses me when he breathes heavily like he just busted a nut and says, "what a beautiful creature" and starts petting the corpse like it's his family dog.

Moreover, Joe Rogan constantly talks about feeling a connection with the animal after he kills it and feels a sense of pride as he consumes it. It's not that deep Joe, it's food.

I eat meat. I have no problem with hunting. But I find this behavior weird, and perhaps a reason to justify killing an animal. Which, I don't think a justification is needed as long as the hunter is consuming the meat.

What am I missing here Sherbros?

Last edited:
I've never hunted (only fished) but I'd like think it's about giving respect to the animal and being grateful to it since you're getting food from it. You are taking a life after all.

You have to remember that Joe, Brock, James Hetfield, and other hunters are a bunch of tossers.

but I'd like think it's about giving respect to the animal and being grateful to it since you're getting food from it. You are taking a life after all.

I think there's a fine line between feeling grateful that you're able to feed your family and petting an animal's corpse like a borderline necrophiliac (thank god the cameras were there) and/or mounting a deer's head above a fireplace.

I've never hunted (only fished) but I'd like think it's about giving respect to the animal and being grateful to it since you're getting food from it. You are taking a life after all.
Pretty much this. Well said.

Hunting is fine and a necessity but glorifying the kill or posting the process on social media is a dickbag move

I'm too much of a pussy to hunt I think

I think I could kill a deer but I wouldn't shoot a bear unless I had to

I think there's a fine line between feeling grateful that you're able to feed your family and petting an animal's corpse like a borderline necrophiliac (thank god the cameras were there) and/or mounting a deer's head above a fireplace.
One day I want to hunt and personally I don't know if I'd do that. I do think mounting a deer head on your wall is weird as well. But at the same thing I can think of a fighting analogy where you show respect and admiration for an opponent you just beat the shit out of. Fighters sometimes talk about how great the other is even though they were locked in a struggle against each other. In a way you have a uniquely deep connection with someone you just had a life and death struggle against. Maybe fighting isn't the best example since the goal isn't to kill, but it happens in war with opposing soldiers as well.

One day I want to hunt and personally I don't know if I'd do that. I do think mounting a deer head on your wall is weird as well. But at the same thing I can think of a fighting analogy where you show respect and admiration for an opponent you just beat the shit out of. Fighters sometimes talk about how great the other is even though they were locked in a struggle against each other. In a way you have a uniquely deep connection with someone you just had a life and death struggle against. Maybe fighting isn't the best example since the goal isn't to kill, but it happens in war with opposing soldiers as well.
I guess Yoel did the same thing after his "hunt"
kis333.gif

@4:59 "Tim once dated an Indian girl, but she dumped him not long after they met." lmao Why would they add that?

A person who eats meat yet never takes life himself reminds me of this.

latest

You’d have to ask that guy. Everyone hunts for their own reasons.

This guy kills a bear, alright no problem with that. Presumably, he'll harvest (correct terminology?) the animal and consume the meat. Guy completely loses me when he breathes heavily like he just busted a nut and says, "what a beautiful creature" and starts petting the corpse like it's his family dog.

Moreover, Joe Rogan constantly talks about feeling a connection with the animal after he kills it and feels a sense of pride as he consumes it. It's not that deep Joe, it's food.

I eat meat. I have no problem with hunting. But I find this behavior weird, and perhaps a reason to justify killing an animal. Which, I don't think a justification is needed as long as the hunter is consuming the meat.

What am I missing here Sherbros?

It's the extension of machismo, the Big Hunt. The Big Hunt is a rare target that takes out so much from the hunter when you fight it frontally or fuck up the hunt. It's so rare (because it's costly) that one has the urge to count coup (that necrophilic caress and the head mounting) as opposed to the usual hunt (or butchering). It's like saying "pwned." Hell, even Cloud Strife does that with all the twirling he gives to his buster sword after evry end of the fight.

The bottom line is that until you have personally seen the last minutes/seconds of a great animals life...hearing the screams turn to whimpers, looking into its eyes as the last glimmer of life leaves its body...all because of your arrow or blade. It will forever change most people, and the respect one gains for the food they eat becomes heightened beyond recognition. The most moral, nutritious, and humane way to eat and live.

people get really fuckin weird after killing an animal. I feel a lot of it is primal emotions that have been long repressed coming to the surface in a 'no world you put your hands up' sort of way. I dunno, i have always been pretty autistic with my emotions so every time I kill an animal I just try and make it painless and am meh about it.

i think some people over-compensate, wanting to signal their appreciation for wildlife so they do things like this.

but i also think a lot of hunters really do appreciate wild life more than you or i.

What would you rather have them do?

Before you answer, recognize that this was standard practice for Native Americans, they even said a prayer of thanks to it

I’ve hunted deer, pheasant, duck, turkey, and elk.

I have zero problem with hunting for for food.

I think it’s wierd AF when guys kill bears, cats or wolves (which aren’t even really good to eat, IMHO) and then sit and talk about what a beautiful magestic creature they just removed from existence

Back