Can someone please explain this to me.. (Hunting related)

I honestly don't get hunting. I'll never rag on anyone who participates and I eat meat so there's that. But for me, I'm an animal lover...my first instinct would be to help an animal in distress not kill it. I think it's especially egregious to kill bears, and trophy type animals. I appreciate knowing that those animals are alive despite our greatest efforts to destroy the planet. The thrill it gives to kill one is hardly justification for doing so.

You don't need to eat meat, therefore you do it because it's pleasurable, therefore it's entirely the same as killing the same animal because it makes you hard.

Also, I could do a lot more to destroy the planet #justsayin

If you are anti hunting for food and you eat meat you are a hypocrit IMO. The meat industry is terrible, the treatment of the animals are terrible too, their lives are horrible and then they are killed.

At lease a hunted animal gets to live and a chance for ecape.

My solutuon is being vegetarian.

This guy kills a bear, alright no problem with that. Presumably, he'll harvest (correct terminology?) the animal and consume the meat. Guy completely loses me when he breathes heavily like he just busted a nut and says, "what a beautiful creature" and starts petting the corpse like it's his family dog.

Moreover, Joe Rogan constantly talks about feeling a connection with the animal after he kills it and feels a sense of pride as he consumes it. It's not that deep Joe, it's food.

I eat meat. I have no problem with hunting. But I find this behavior weird, and perhaps a reason to justify killing an animal. Which, I don't think a justification is needed as long as the hunter is consuming the meat.

What am I missing here Sherbros?

Who eats bear meat?? What doesthat taste like?

Depends on where it’s from. I had some black bear meat that came from a bear who frequented orange groves in northern Florida. Wasn’t too great actually, kind of sour. Made great sausages though.

Another black bear I ate was from the Appalacians. Different, but enough of a beefy quality to give your taste buds a point of reference.

Steven Rinella spoke on his podcast recently about the historical food preferences of fur trade era trappers and hunters. Unbeknownst to me, the preferred meat for these guys was black bear meat. Kind of weird considering that most guys today would take an elk over a black bear any day.

I’ve heard Griz meat is awful, never had it though.

This guy kills a bear, alright no problem with that. Presumably, he'll harvest (correct terminology?) the animal and consume the meat. Guy completely loses me when he breathes heavily like he just busted a nut and says, "what a beautiful creature" and starts petting the corpse like it's his family dog.

Moreover, Joe Rogan constantly talks about feeling a connection with the animal after he kills it and feels a sense of pride as he consumes it. It's not that deep Joe, it's food.

I eat meat. I have no problem with hunting. But I find this behavior weird, and perhaps a reason to justify killing an animal. Which, I don't think a justification is needed as long as the hunter is consuming the meat.

What am I missing here Sherbros?

Yes, its weird, and stupid.

ab928d5cc4bf095a4b56f2150245c0df.png

I'm 40 (nearly 41) and went hunting for the 1st time last January. Didnt shoot anything but learned something. Went out nearly 3 weeks ago on my 2nd hunt and ended up shooting 3 white tail deer. I wont lie but that first one was a little emotional because now I had taken a life. They were all clean kills and dropped within 5 meters of being shot. I rationalize it because I will consume those animals. I rejected to shoot other animals that were not good eating and shooting just for the sake of getting its horns.

Life feeds on life. People should view killing for food as an unfortunate requirement of the life mechanism. It isn't something to do happily or even with indifference; it is something to be sorrowful about having to have to do at all.

If you are anti hunting for food and you eat meat you are a hypocrit IMO. The meat industry is terrible, the treatment of the animals are terrible too, their lives are horrible and then they are killed.

At lease a hunted animal gets to live and a chance for ecape.

My solutuon is being vegetarian.

It should be noted that there are plenty of ethical farms raising animals for consumption. You're talking about unethical factory farming practices in particular. It doesn't change your point about some people's hypocrisy, but I think it's important to make the distinction between the two farming methods when talking about the meat industry.

Hunting for food, and the humane raising of animals for food, are on about the same level. I don't have much issue with either of these things, provided they're done in the least destructive way possible, and with an overall regard for the ecosystem.

Last edited:
Life feeds on life. People should view killing for food as an unfortunate requirement of the life mechanism. It isn't something to do happily or even with indifference; it is something to be sorrowful about having to have to do at all.

It should be noted that there are plenty of ethical farms raising animals for consumption. You're talking about unethical factory farming practices in particular. It doesn't change your point about some people's hypocrisy, but I think it's important to make the distinction between the two farming methods when talking about the meat industry.

Hunting for food, and the humane raising of animals for food, are on about the same level. I don't have much issue with either of these things, provided they're done in the least destructive way possible, and with an overall regard for the ecosystem.

I am aware of ethically raised meats and agree totally. It's just that right now so few people choose it that it did not seem worth mentioning.

Being vegetarian is great as most of that issue is solved and you can get ethically produced dairy and such which we do. I feel equally healthy whether I eat meat or not but I know many people who must be one way or the other where health is concerned.

The reaction of anti hunters is funny to me regarding this video.

When hearing a hunting story or watching a video:

Anti hunter: "Well woopity doo! You killed a bear with gun from the safety of a tree! You're no hunter, try killing one with a spear!"

Tim Wells: "OK, today I'm gonna respectfully kill a bear with a spear."

Anti Hunters: "Woopity Doo! You're no hunter! You killed a bear from the safety of a tree, try doing it from the ground, you murderer!!!!"

Tim Wells: "OK, today I'm going to kill a full grown bear, literally feet from me, with a FUCKING BLOW GUN!!!, afterwards I'm going to express pride in myself and show the animal respect as well."

Anti hunter: "Yeah, well....you still suck. And will never be as morally perfect as me."

Last edited:
Life or death situations such as you or your family under attack or where you live somewhere so remote that you have no other food sources available.
Do you feel the same way about farmers? What about butcher shop customers? Or is your vehemence reserved for people who choose to harvest their own meat?

To me it's kind of like a cross between pork and venison. It has to be cooked the same as pork, and you can make bear bacon, which is awesome. With black bears (I assume grizzlies and polars too, but I have no actual point of reference) the meant takes on flavour notes of what it's been eating. So it you get a fall bear that's been gorging on blueberries it's going to taste much better than a bear that's been hanging around the dump.

Guy completely loses me when he breathes heavily like he just busted a nut and says, "what a beautiful creature" and starts petting the corpse like it's his family dog.
This is weird. He's definitely getting aroused by the corpse.

I've never hunted (only fished) but I'd like think it's about giving respect to the animal and being grateful to it since you're getting food from it. You are taking a life after all.
I hear ya, but there's a limit. If you're making a big deal about it you're performing, even if it's only for yourself.

Do you feel the same way about farmers? What about butcher shop customers? Or is your vehemence reserved for people who choose to harvest their own meat?

I feel the same about all and any exploitation, harming and killing of animals. The vast majority of our present day use of animals is unnecessary and morally unjustifiable however I would agree that a hunter who is a good shot and can take an animals life quickly and painlessly to provide sustenance is a far better option than the awful lives and deaths most livestock must endure to produce food for the masses who are far removed from the suffering they are a part of.

If you kill animals for anything less than absolute necessity then that makes you a murderer plain and simple. Hunters like to dress up their murderous exploits in all manner of ways... conservation, helping out local communities etc but if it's done for pleasure then you have a real sickness in you. Pray to your imaginary Gods and give all the thanks you want but you certainly don't respect the animal whose life you have needlessly taken.

You don't know what the word murder means.

Also are you a vegan? I would find your above post extra stupid if you eat meat and want to preach about the ethics of killing animals.

You don't know what the word murder means.

Also are you a vegan? I would find your above post extra stupid if you eat meat and want to preach about the ethics of killing animals.

@AgentSmecker is the resident angry Vegan of the 'Berry. I don't agree with him but I've come to appreciate him as one of the many characters of the Berry.

It's a tragedy they banned the other one.
Don't know if we're thinking about the same guy but the guy I'm thinking of went way overboard with his comments not just on vegan threads but pretty much everything. He instigated shit almost as much as Banchan. It was a matter of time before he got banned.

Back