Can someone explain 'job loyalty' to me?

Ironically around the same time corporations became legal people, they lost all semblance of humanity in the way they treat employees.

Having loyalty to an employer is like having empathy for a psychopath. As long as you understand it's not reciprocal, it's fine.

I've been screwed over a couple of times by friends who cancelled plans at the last minute to instead go to work (stocking shelves at stores for minimum wage), so this has been a bewilderment to me also.

My guess is the fear of disciplinary action from perceived superiors (or not wanting to offend your boss for fear of losing your financial security; same way you apparently didn't want to make your parents mad when you were a kid, perhaps for fear of physical abuse).

Didn't know that was still a thing. Once pensions went away, what was the point.

I had loyalty to my old job. They gave me a break in the industry, and treated me like family. Not to mention, I probably cost them money the first couple of years they employed me.

I have no attachment to my current job.

lmao @ job loyalty. Always look out for the best interest of yourself and your family.

I think you need to do what's best for yourself... just as the company will not hesitate to do what's best for them.

If you are in a situation where there is no potential for job growth and serious pay increase.. time to move on. The best way to get a raise is to work for another company.

We are mostly loyal to our employees and most of them are loyal to us.

This concept can exist while you 'do what is best for yourself or the company'. They are not mutually exclusive concepts.

Companies like ours invest a lot in our employees by providing constant schooling and training and other ways to make them move valuable as employees. We pay them more as they progress. So both sides are benefiting. We also give them stock options in the company so that as the value of the company goes up they benefit along with it.

This is the heart of loyalty as I know most of our employees would not leave us for another org just offering the same or similar or even slightly more pay. Loyalty does not mean they stay (or we keep them) at any salary offered but in an otherwise competitive market place loyalty is why they stay when they have other similar offers they can take advantage of.

If you define loyalty solely as not taking better offers elsewhere, yeah thats pretty much dead.

But sticking with a company which is a good employer to work for is certainly a modern trait.

People especially younger ones are more fussy about in work atmosphere.
I am one of them.

I’m not sure what you consider younger people, but I am definitely someone who will forego a little bit of money to stay at a job with a good atmosphere.

My job has a great culture and my co-workers are awesome.

Better to be happy and make slightly less money than be miserable. Someone who doesn't understand this has never had a good job with management who respects them.

The best way to make more money in the same industry is to go to a job willing to pay you more.

I most recently worked for a small consulting firm for 8 years. I’m not an employee any more but still do work for them as a contractor. Over that time they let me really grow as a professional, taking on bigger and bigger projects and giving me a lot of autonomy. I also believe strongly in the company’s mission. They also stuck by me during some hard personal times. So I’m very loyal to that company.

Loyalty goes both ways. The men who started their own businesses and were successful knew this. The people who attended business schools don't. I was lucky enough to work most of my career for a company that believed in taking an interest in it's employees. Raises and bonuses were given on your value to the company with the owner who actually worked at the business well into his 70s. After his death, his wife ran it the best she could but the managers stole a lot of money. When she became disabled, her children sold it to another company who had across the board raises and bonuses the same for everyone. There was no incentive to do anything beyond the minimum necessary.

as far as i'm concerned, employment is a 2 way street. as long as i'm satisfied with my compensation and the company is satisfied with what they're paying me, then we're both good and i'll provide the best service i can.

loyalty to inanimate thing like a company/corporation isn't something i do.

i happen to like the company i'm at currently, have a hands off boss who lets me do what i do best, and the employees generally love me, from the top of the company down. that will keep me from accepting other job offers that may pay more since i've worked for companies with a shitty manager and shitty work environment. to be lured away from my current job, another company would have to put me in a similar position at a much higher rate, at least 20% more, and the manager can't be a micro-manager. in other words, i have demands that need to be met before i consider moving from my current job.

Back