Can I trust Spectrum Cable company? Update NO!

I used Spectrum for about 4 years before I was done with them. Their internet service was going in and out a lot like the OP mentioned, and I was just tired of it.

I switched my cell service and internet service to Verizon, using the new fangled 5G wireless tech. It has been working much better overall than Spectrum. Plus, I am actually saving an extra $20/month now versus when I had cell and internet service with Spectrum.

Might just be time to switch to something else, Ralph!

You do save money by purchasing your own router and modem rather than leasing theirs, but the trade off is that when there are problems, if they can't figure it out easily, they'll blame your equipment.

It's still probably worth it to buy your own, but you have to accept this risk.

I switch to Frontier recently and they've been the best company I've been with in my life. They provide the equipment including 2 eero wifi devices with no monthly cost for the equipment. Then when I had a light strike destroy a bunch of electronics including the WIFI devices I contacted them to see if they wanted to come pick them up and I could buy my own.

They told me not to buy my own and dropped off two new ones that exact day it was impressive turn around.

I didn't even consider if ethernet cables were why my internet speed wasn't what I'm paying for, but should be good enough for 100Mbps.

Worked in cable with TWC - when Spectrum came in all the talent fled (I took severance).

They are generally inept.

<DisgustingHHH>
Here, it's not as if there's a lot of competition for them to go work for instead.

I heard the fiber competitor also gives really shit customer service and long wait times.

Since I own my own equipment, I suspect they might blame that. I considered that when I decided to purchase my own devices but I decided that if I did have rented devices and they failed, it would take a day or two to get a tech to replace them or I would be driving to their facility to get a replacement.

It's the modem most likely. They got proprietorial on them. I too used my own and then had to use their bullshit. They want to charge you more monthly for it.

Good Luck!

I would just buy a new router from some where you can return it in 30 days. Then test with that new router and if it works well now you know.
I have a new one here. I wanted to see if the other one was going to give me a problem again.

I used Spectrum for about 4 years before I was done with them. Their internet service was going in and out a lot like the OP mentioned, and I was just tired of it.

I switched my cell service and internet service to Verizon, using the new fangled 5G wireless tech. It has been working much better overall than Spectrum. Plus, I am actually saving an extra $20/month now versus when I had cell and internet service with Spectrum.

Might just be time to switch to something else, Ralph!
I probably should have switched but I'm old and I hate change. I had Verizon for cell phone service for several years after they bought out Alltel. I never had trouble with Alltel in the 10 years that I had them. I figured out that Verizon would screw with my service when my 2 year contracts were nearly up making it appear that the phones were going bad so I would upgrade the phone for another 2 year contract. I was paying around $150/month for one phone. I switched to Consumer Cellular in 2013 and got two phones for under $40/month and $30 for each phone. I had to switch out the phones when they shut down 3G service in 2022 and they gave me new phones.

My internet service went down as I was typing this. I unplugged the router, plugged it back in and my service is back. I guess it's time to install the new router.

I switch to Frontier recently and they've been the best company I've been with in my life. They provide the equipment including 2 eero wifi devices with no monthly cost for the equipment. Then when I had a light strike destroy a bunch of electronics including the WIFI devices I contacted them to see if they wanted to come pick them up and I could buy my own.

They told me not to buy my own and dropped off two new ones that exact day it was impressive turn around.

My old landline phone company now has tv/internet service. I think they provide all of the equipment with the service. I was going to switch but like I said, I hate change. I keep the original email address I had with my original dial up provider and pay them $60 annually for it.

NEVER TRUST YOUR CABLE COMPANY OR INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER

I found out that many people in my area have had problems with their Spectrum internet connection despite Spectrum claiming there weren't. One person told me to check to see if my cable modem had a log. I checked and it does. It documented every time that connection was lost since I stopped resetting the modem and have only been resetting the router. The guy told me that ISPs want customers to reset their cable modems to get rid of those records. The time delay often gives the cable company time to get the service back up. They might have a server glitching that they reset and finally replace. Interestingly enough I received a message that the internet would be down for maintenance for up to 30 minutes on Monday March 11th. I haven't had an outage since then.

9YUP.gif

Isn't this the company that dropped many channels because they didn't want pay a fair price?

NEVER TRUST YOUR CABLE COMPANY OR INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER

I found out that many people in my area have had problems with their Spectrum internet connection despite Spectrum claiming there weren't. One person told me to check to see if my cable modem had a log. I checked and it does. It documented every time that connection was lost since I stopped resetting the modem and have only been resetting the router. The guy told me that ISPs want customers to reset their cable modems to get rid of those records. The time delay often gives the cable company time to get the service back up. They might have a server glitching that they reset and finally replace. Interestingly enough I received a message that the internet would be down for maintenance for up to 30 minutes on Monday March 11th. I haven't had an outage since then.
Get your neighbors to sign something saying the service is unreliable and take it to the state utility commission to complain. Also get them to quit doing commercials citing their "great reliability."

My internet service is still disconnecting my internet every afternoon (sometimes multiple times in span of half an hour) when it's hot outside and their equipment accumulates enough heat to malfunction. This morning I woke up and saw the modem blinking like internet is down and not recovering by itself, so had to unplug coaxial going to splitter and replug and same with modem power supply. The other day I had to download big file and internet disconnected. Had to wait til late night when it's cooler outside to try again.

Get your neighbors to sign something saying the service is unreliable and take it to the state utility commission to complain. Also get them to quit doing commercials citing their "great reliability."

My internet service is still disconnecting my internet every afternoon (sometimes multiple times in span of half an hour) when it's hot outside and their equipment accumulates enough heat to malfunction. This morning I woke up and saw the modem blinking like internet is down and not recovering by itself, so had to unplug coaxial going to splitter and replug and same with modem power supply. The other day I had to download big file and internet disconnected. Had to wait til late night when it's cooler outside to try again.

The way I found out about it was by checking on switching providers. My former landline phone company has fiber optic service in a pedestal right next to the one for the cable company. I called to check on their service. The salesman lives in the city where only Spectrum is available so he has it and told me about the outages he was having. When the ground thaws out I might change service.

The way I found out about it was by checking on switching providers. My former landline phone company has fiber optic service in a pedestal right next to the one for the cable company. I called to check on their service. The salesman lives in the city where only Spectrum is available so he has it and told me about the outages he was having. When the ground thaws out I might change service.
Difficult to trust a salesman of the competitor though.

I type this right after my Spectrum internet disconnected me for the second time today. It's cloudy outside, so not sure if it's accumulated afternoon heat causing their signal relay box to fuck up.

Back