Can I have a US Vet's opinion on this?

When four people die in his jail's custody, one being a newborn child, I think that's a good time to be "emotional".
It was already mentioned but as a leaf you could really get in trouble for criticising a black man like this.

Good luck but be careful.

Do I need to explain what bugs me here?

GettyImages-577290376.jpg

Is that a Sheriff's uniform? What's the decorum on that? Is it related to military dress uniform? Please explain the difference, if any. Now the real question: would you return that man's salute? Would you compliment him on his medals? Would you want him as the head of a federal office?

Seriously, as a Canadian, I thought Americans were really "by-the-book" with dress uniforms and decorations. Guess I was wrong and it was a movie shtick all along.I should have known better. I mean, look at that mess:

DADwXZgXUAAb9GM.jpg:small

Are those fake pins? Are those legit decorations? Are they police medals? They look very cheezy if they're legit. They seem like bogus pins, made to promote awareness!

Look at the "Cease Fire" one on the next pic. It looks like a pin you get when you go visit your local firestation!And what's that fake kinda ribbon there? Is that a fake military decoration? What does the sideway flag means under it?
DADwwfHXsAASaR0.jpg:small

I'm not trying to open a can of worm, I just want to know. I thought those things were serious in the US...

Every Department has different standards. Some let you wear pins like the one he has only if authorized by the department. He is the Chief he can decided what they can wear.

Also the military has different standards about ribbons and decorations. I was in the Marines who have probably the least amount of stuff allowed to wear in a uniform. We had guys that transfer over from other branches. In boot camp they where told some of the stuff they wore in the other service couldn't be place on the Marine uniform. It stays on there military record but just can't display in a Marine Uniform.

I'm a vet and don't care. I'm more annoyed that when he's not in that he dresses like a cowboy.

You don't know that either.

Actually,
He's right.

His salute is I'll say.... Incomplete. His left hand is 100% wrong. I won't go into detail because I don't want terrorists to get the right way down pat and do my comrades-in-arms potential harm.

Who cares? He's not impersonating a service member.

I dont give a fuck about his uniform, can the mf'er uphold honor and integrity? That should be the question.

You don't know that either.
When it comes to saluting, this guy looks like he's doing the Kansas City Chiefs tomahawk thing, unless they caught him when he was either raising it or dropping the salute. And his other hand needs to be cupped in a fist.

Is that a Sheriff's uniform? What's the decorum on that? Is it related to military dress uniform? Please explain the difference, if any. Now the real question: would you return that man's salute? Would you compliment him on his medals? Would you want him as the head of a federal office?

Seriously, as a Canadian, I thought Americans were really "by-the-book" with dress uniforms and decorations. Guess I was wrong and it was a movie shtick all along.I should have known better. I mean, look at that mess:

Are those fake pins? Are those legit decorations? Are they police medals? They look very cheezy if they're legit. They seem like bogus pins, made to promote awareness!

Look at the "Cease Fire" one on the next pic. It looks like a pin you get when you go visit your local firestation!And what's that fake kinda ribbon there? Is that a fake military decoration? What does the sideway flag means under it?

I'm not trying to open a can of worm, I just want to know. I thought those things were serious in the US...
Most law enforcement agencies have dress uniforms. Hell, even bus drivers in Toronto can get dress blues for parades, events, etc.

cops shouldn't emulate the military. cops should be cops and have cop traditions.
Veteran and second-generation (dad served 30 years in LAPD) LEO checkin' in.

American law enforcement has always been a paramilitary organization for as long as I can remember because it is their tradition. The oldest law enforcement agency in the U.S. is USMS and most of them served in American Revol war and Civil War

Seriously, as a Canadian, I thought Americans were really "by-the-book" with dress uniforms and decorations. Guess I was wrong and it was a movie shtick all along.I should have known better
american-flag-made-in-china.jpg
Sorry, but you should've known better. Everything is made in China. I work for the government and everything here is made in China. Each year, our supplies are getting cheaper and cheaper. When I first started, we had some high quality stuffs. When I say high quality I mean usable. Nowadays, we have crap tapes don't won't stick and receipt paper that won't hold a print. I tried complaining but they say it's cuz we're short on budget. lmao!!!

There's only one clear answer to one of your questions. Would I salute this man if I was in uniform ( if I was still in the military)? Hell no.

There's only one clear answer to one of your questions. Would I salute this man if I was in uniform ( if I was still in the military)? Hell no.

In Commonwealth countries the police don't salute, the military salute the Crown or its representative, which includes higher-ranking officers as they have a commission from the Crown. I think that police saluting sets the wrong tone nevermind the paramilitary uniform and armoured personnel carriers and all that.

Back