Can I have a US Vet's opinion on this?

Metal_Daze

Geonor St Gregor
@Silver
Reaction score
Do I need to explain what bugs me here?

GettyImages-577290376.jpg

Is that a Sheriff's uniform? What's the decorum on that? Is it related to military dress uniform? Please explain the difference, if any. Now the real question: would you return that man's salute? Would you compliment him on his medals? Would you want him as the head of a federal office?

Seriously, as a Canadian, I thought Americans were really "by-the-book" with dress uniforms and decorations. Guess I was wrong and it was a movie shtick all along.I should have known better. I mean, look at that mess:

DADwXZgXUAAb9GM.jpg:small

Are those fake pins? Are those legit decorations? Are they police medals? They look very cheezy if they're legit. They seem like bogus pins, made to promote awareness!

Look at the "Cease Fire" one on the next pic. It looks like a pin you get when you go visit your local firestation!And what's that fake kinda ribbon there? Is that a fake military decoration? What does the sideway flag means under it?
DADwwfHXsAASaR0.jpg:small

I'm not trying to open a can of worm, I just want to know. I thought those things were serious in the US...

Last edited:
I don't know the answer to all of your questions, but the blue ribbon is know as 'Thin Blue Line Ribbon' it's to remember officers than have died.

The rest are probably pins to promote various issues - cease fire for gun violence, etc.

I'm pretty sure that each sheriffs dept. has it's own regs about uniforms.

I'm a vet and I don't give a fuck what he wears. What I care about is the fact that his prisons are allowing women to go into labor without medical efforts and are killing their inmates. This piece of shit has no business being in a federal oversight position when he can't even run a fucking jail.

And then he blames regular crime when his police officers act like scumbags. We know criminals are pieces of shit. That's why there's no outrage with black on black crime. It already pisses off regular people. It's when cops act like pieces of shit with department support that people get outraged.

That jacket would benefit from some tailoring.

Other than that, IMO the Milwaukee County Sheriff's Deputy uniforms are 2nd in ugliness only to the Waukesha County Sheriff's Department uniforms. They haven't been updated since 1972.

Pretty sure police uniforms and uniform regulations very greatly across states and departments. I'm not 100% certain on that but I'm like 98% and the nations LE is decentralized so I do know that they don't have a universal policy for dress uniforms (just don't know how greatly they differ). I have no clue what the uniform policy would be for Wisconsin or Milwaukee. As for salute, If I was there officially, covered and in uniform I would. If not In uniform I would not. The medals, imo and I have a few from serving 11 years, many look cheesy to me, and the military's are likely a lot better quality made just for the fact there are so many made.

Last edited:
What's the problem? He's wearing the uniform fit for the rank of his particular agency.

Is that a Sheriff's uniform? What's the decorum on that? Is it related to military dress uniform? Please explain the difference, if any. Now the real question: would you return that man's salute? Would you compliment him on his medals? Would you want him as the head of a federal office?

Seriously, as a Canadian, I thought Americans were really "by-the-book" with dress uniforms and decorations. Guess I was wrong and it was a movie shtick all along.I should have known better. I mean, look at that mess:

Are those fake pins? Are those legit decorations? Are they police medals? They look very cheezy if they're legit. They seem like bogus pins, made to promote awareness!

Look at the "Cease Fire" one on the next pic. It looks like a pin you get when you go visit your local firestation!And what's that fake kinda ribbon there? Is that a fake military decoration? What does the sideway flag means under it?

I'm not trying to open a can of worm, I just want to know. I thought those things were serious in the US...

As a Canadian you should Shut Thee Fuck UP.

Lest you have to drop $20k in fines and get 2yrs in the pen for hate speech.

A veteran can't tell you shit about this. Google customs and courtesies for sherrifs in dress uniform.

I'm a vet and I don't give a fuck what he wears. What I care about is the fact that his prisons are allowing women to go into labor without medical efforts and are killing their inmates. This piece of shit has no business being in a federal oversight position when he can't even run a fucking jail.

And then he blames regular crime when his police officers act like scumbags. We know criminals are pieces of shit. That's why there's no outrage with black on black crime. It already pisses off regular people. It's when cops act like pieces of shit with department support that people get outraged.

You just get way too emotional about shit. Try and chill out man. Good luck.

You just get way too emotional about shit. Try and chill out man. Good luck.

When four people die in his jail's custody, one being a newborn child, I think that's a good time to be "emotional".

When four people die in his jail's custody, one being a newborn child, I think that's a good time to be "emotional".

So let me get this straight... Dude wore clothes you disagree with...

Veteran and LEO checking in. Most Law Enforcement agencies in the United States are paramilitary organizations and operate as such. They abide by a chain of command and even in their basic academy training is derived from military customs and courtesies. Every Class A uniform is unique to each agency. Keep in mind that not all Sheriffs/Chiefs and heads of agencies are prior military and wing it when it comes to badges, citations, and medals.

cops shouldn't emulate the military. cops should be cops and have cop traditions.

Back