can i build striking power by punching and kicking the air with full intention?

rizky

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Can i build my power if i do that? If not how can i build a my power without a target(bag or whatever)

no.
you cannot learn to hit hard without repeatedly hitting hard. You cannot learn to hit a uncooperating target without hitting uncooperating targets. You cannot learn how to block attacks without blocking attacks. You cannot learn how to take a hit without taking hits.

You cannot learn how to ride a bike by sitting on it with your feet on the ground.

Last edited:
no.
you cannot learn to hit hard without repeatedly hitting hard. You cannot learn to hit a uncooperating target without hitting uncooperating targets. You cannot learn how to block attacks without blocking attacks. You cannot learn how to take a hit without taking hits.

You cannot learn how to ride a bike by sitting on it with your feet on the ground.
Does strength and conditioning helps?

Sure it helps.
Just not enough ...by far.

Hitting air has its place. But it is worthless without actually training hitting something hard, aswell.
Anyone claiming differently is full of crap.

It's also bad for your joints to frequently punch air with full power.

You can get more power from shadowboxing / forms IF you have done a tonn of fighting / sparring before. And you are already very experienced on how different people move and react.

Dont worry about power. Form and technique is key. Just shadowbox slowly trying to get form perfect

Burpees and split jumps will increase the power if done at maximum speed low - reps, like two reps and rest to exclude the lactic acid from the equation.

Another very good exercise is to throw light rocks emulating a punch motion.

IDK what's going on in this thread. You can absolutely increase power through shadowboxing. Improving technique and coordination will improve power. Should it be the only method you use? Of course not. You do need to practice actually hitting something. However, shadowboxing is a great way to focus on things like balance, weight transfer and rotation. Getting better at those increases power, plus the more reps you do the better your brain gets at recruiting the muscles required for those movements.

Of course if we're talking about power as a physical attribute, not how hard you hit but generally how much force your muscles can produce in the shortest amount of time, you'll need to do actual power training as well.

IDK what's going on in this thread. You can absolutely increase power through shadowboxing. Improving technique and coordination will improve power. Should it be the only method you use? Of course not. You do need to practice actually hitting something. However, shadowboxing is a great way to focus on things like balance, weight transfer and rotation. Getting better at those increases power, plus the more reps you do the better your brain gets at recruiting the muscles required for those movements.

Of course if we're talking about power as a physical attribute, not how hard you hit but generally how much force your muscles can produce in the shortest amount of time, you'll need to do actual power training as well.
Does power as a physical attribute helps our striking power a lot?

YES

KQ6DFEi.gif

giphy.gif

Can i build my power if i do that? If not how can i build a my power without a target(bag or whatever)

Is there a particular reason you want to specifically train punching power without hitting a target??
I've been fighting for several years and I have had my share of hand fractures. Not being able to hit a physical target was an issue. Shadow boxing is great to work on your technique, form and speed etc. But if you want to improve punching power try:
- shadow boxing with resistance bands.
-
shadow boxing with dumbells

Is there a particular reason you want to specifically train punching power without hitting a target??
I've been fighting for several years and I have had my share of hand fractures. Not being able to hit a physical target was an issue. Shadow boxing is great to work on your technique, form and speed etc. But if you want to improve punching power try:
- shadow boxing with resistance bands.
-
shadow boxing with dumbells
I dont have punching bag in my house. And it is said that punching with dumbbell doesn't train your power but shoulder endurance?

I dont have punching bag in my house. And it is said that punching with dumbbell doesn't train your power but shoulder endurance?

Thats fine you can do the exercises without hitting a boxing bag.
Its true what you said about the dumbells, whats the point in punching somebody hard if you can't keep it up for all the rounds.
Therefor resistance bands are the best. Dumbells provide resistance vertically, resistance bands horizontally which is more specific when it comes to punching fast and hard.

I post training tips and videos on my blog from time to time, check it out if you like.

Thats fine you can do the exercises without hitting a boxing bag.
Its true what you said about the dumbells, whats the point in punching somebody hard if you can't keep it up for all the rounds.
Therefor resistance bands are the best. Dumbells provide resistance vertically, resistance bands horizontally which is more specific when it comes to punching fast and hard.

I post training tips and videos on my blog from time to time, check it out if you like.
An ACTUAL pro fighter on Sherdog?!
And giving good advice in his very first posts already?!

raw

Okay so here's what I think you should do:

First go outside, and start your warm up, either use your street or a nearby park.

I want you to do some static AND dynamic stretching (give it a google search if you're unsure of the difference), and then start the main part of your warm up and do some sprints. I'm not an expert on sprinting, so I'm going to say sprint say 30 meters ten times (that's what I was doing in my early sessions with a personal trainer), then it's time to begin your kicking drills.

Kicking full power in shadowboxing can be a little risky, you might twist your knee or fall over and hurt yourself. So I'd recommend doing the drills in this video that do not rely on the bag:

This is not about kicking hard so much as it is about kicking with fluidity and being able to kick both on the front and back foot. Which is very important.

Then once you're done with that work on your shadow boxing, specifically focus on your punches and make sure they're balanced, make sure you get your hip and shoulder back as far as reasonably possible to get maximum weight transference (I'm not an expert on this front but @Sano will likely be more help)

Then after that it's time to begin your physical work out routine, this is the bit that you'll probably want to skip but really shouldn't as it's going to build your muscles to be able to explode into your punches and kicks.

Four sets of 10 clapping push ups (go all the way down and explode up, don't half ass it, if you find it difficult then make do less sets)

Four sets of 10 dumbell lunges (if you don't have dumbbells and don't have access to a gym, then either buy the dumbbells when you have money free or do them without weight)

Four sets of 10 single leg squat (each side, if its too much then halve the amount of sets)

Four sets of 10 dumbell squats

Four sets of 10 deadlifts

and finally four sets of 10 jumping squats.

If you're new this is going to suck and you may feel a bit sick after, but it's nothing to panic about, make sure you get something to eat straight away after, it's not a bad idea to prep some chicken or a protein shake before doing this workout so that its on hand ready.

I'm not claiming that this will make you hit like George Foreman, but it will certainly increase your power.

Back