can i build striking power by punching and kicking the air with full intention?

Got any trees around?

(wear some gloves tho)

How come people are STILL getting trolled by this guy?

Take a look at his post history; there are nothing but threads like "why do people spar?", "if technique beats strength, why lift weight?", "who would win between Bruce Lee and Saenchai?" or "will shadowboxing alone make me a good fighter?"

All advice you give him will just go to waste because it's obvious he will never start training.

^^^ I would say one issue I'd have with that workout is that you putting the plyometric work which works best when you are fresh after drills and shadow boxing. This will reduce the effectiveness of the plyometrics. I'd do the clapping push ups earlier on as well as moving the jumping squats ahead of the other leg work. In fact all power work would work better done early on when you are fresh and have the most power. And when it comes to power quality trumps quantity. 5 reps done with explosive power and adequate rest are much better than 10 reps with no rest where fatigue takes over. It depends on what you are trying to achieve, power or a conditioning effect.

How come people are STILL getting trolled by this guy?

Take a look at his post history; there are nothing but threads like "why do people spar?", "if technique beats strength, why lift weight?", "who would win between Bruce Lee and Saenchai?" or "will shadowboxing alone make me a good fighter?"

All advice you give him will just go to waste because it's obvious he will never start training.

With him it's a case of I know he's a troll, but I post for the benefit of the lurkers. My logic is that someone might google with a question similar to this, find this thread and then they'll hopefully read my advice and be helped.

I think its a bit different from Nidnoi/Celestial Kid/Karate Stylist where they was clearly just talking shit

^^^ I would say one issue I'd have with that workout is that you putting the plyometric work which works best when you are fresh after drills and shadow boxing. This will reduce the effectiveness of the plyometrics. I'd do the clapping push ups earlier on as well as moving the jumping squats ahead of the other leg work. In fact all power work would work better done early on when you are fresh and have the most power. And when it comes to power quality trumps quantity. 5 reps done with explosive power and adequate rest are much better than 10 reps with no rest where fatigue takes over. It depends on what you are trying to achieve, power or a conditioning effect.

I'm glad you posted that, because that is something I genuinely didn't know! Thanks for the help!

I'd put the jump squats at the end because I figured they'd be more difficult after lifting, I didn't realise the lifts would reduce the effectiveness of the workout

Power is the product of force and velocity

P=(F*d)/t

Thus, there are two ways to improve power: increasing maximal force production, and increasing rate of force production. Put simply, this means increasing strength and increasing speed. You want more power, you need to get stronger and faster. You get stronger with heavy resistance training (usually powerlifting) and faster through methods like ballistics, olympic lifts and plyometrics. Ballistic exercises are especially great for fighters because something like a medicine ball throw can be done in the same plane as punching.

So you get stronger and faster, but you need to apply those physical attributes to fighting ability. This is where more sport specific exercises come in. It's also where coordination and technique come in. Stronger, faster muscles will always be outdone by the superior neurological adaptations for punching that come from actually punching. Shadowboxing helps with this, so it will improve power and help translate physical power into punching power. You still need to train with impact though. You need to actually hit something to get a sense of the distance and to learn how to deliver power effectively. However, even if you build the power to bend bags in half, it won't mean shit if you don't have the footwork to get in position to use it, the timing to catch your opponent or the hand-eye coordination to hit a moving target. You can build the most powerful missile in the world, but without an effective delivery system it's not worth shit.

The point is that there's a ton that goes into increasing power. Most important are the technical aspects. Shadowboxing will help, but you need so much more to be able to make use of those gains.

I'm glad you posted that, because that is something I genuinely didn't know! Thanks for the help!

I'd put the jump squats at the end because I figured they'd be more difficult after lifting, I didn't realise the lifts would reduce the effectiveness of the workout
No problem, glad you found what I posted useful. You could put jump squats at the end if you were using them as a conditioning tool, they'd definitely get your lungs bursting

Bruce Lee himself said that shadow kicking and punching IS dangerous; the sidekick at full force without meeting contact on a bag/pad is like shooting your leg out of the knee socket, and it's the same for the hands. Shadow kicking and punching should always be more based on controlled balance and smooth technique, such as the paper target. Save the heavy hitting for the pad and the heavy bag.

Back