Can Atheists explain to me why there is evil and suffering in the world?

btw i forgot to give an example of evil, its when people quote the OP for no reason

Jesus F. Christ people!

Also "shit just happens" is a terrible explanation i take talking snake over this BS any day

Because we developed a brain more capable of choice then other animals.

No. There are no choices. We are just machines, an object, 100% deterministic pieces of meats with illusions of self, freewill and consciousness.

Well at least this is what atheists materialist supposed to believe to avoid being a hypocrite, and if you are not a materialist but an atheist then you are some weird pseudo-buddhist mental gymnast atheistic heretic...

No. There are no choices. We are just machines, an object, 100% deterministic pieces of meats with illusions of self, freewill and consciousness.

Well at least this is what atheists materialist supposed to believe to avoid being a hypocrite, and if you are not a materialist but an atheist then you are some weird pseudo-buddhist mental gymnast atheistic heretic...

What a gigantic bunch of nonsense.

If you don't want to have an adult conversation head back to the kiddie table

What a gigantic bunch of nonsense.

If you don't want to have an adult conversation head back to the kiddie table

I actually dont want to have conversation since its late and i will go to bed soon... but still where was i wrong?

Equally confusing is Islam's denial of the fallen state of mankind. Yet women must cover up more as the cultist becomes more devout. It makes zero sense whatsoever but it's near-impossible for any of them to see the issue due to their submission to mind-control.

I haven't read the whole thread, so I don't exactly know where you are going with this, TS.

Pain and suffering are real things and certain types can be quantified. Everyone has their specific threshold as to what constitutes suffering I suppose.

Evil is much more subjective and depends on an individuals moral standards. The "do unto others...." rule is a decent starting point for most. Maybe you can make a case that there is no evil. The world isn't black and white. Like a pain threshold everyone has a specific level of pain they are willing to inflict on others to get what they want.

I am curious about atheistic perspective on this issue.

I am sure it will make a lot of sense. :)
Humans have the ability to make choices whether they are right or wrong.

I'm not an atheist either. Just playing devil's advocate.

I actually dont want to have conversation since its late and i will go to bed soon... but still where was i wrong?

Every single part of it.

Incorrectly represented a belief system. Misused the word hypocrite. And just strung a bunch of idiotic words together like a child, some of which you also obviously don't understand.

It's sort of funny that the so-called answer to question "Can Atheists explain to me why there is evil and suffering in the world?" is 9 times out of ten "I hate God".

You probably mean why the devil exists. Was created good, had freedom of choice, chose badly, became the ultimate gamma male. As to why there is evil in the world, God gave the latter to man, who then decided to listen to the devil and let death to the world and here we are.

This response is why people are Fn stupid.

The devil. Derp

You were wrong in categorising all atheists into eliminative/reductive materialism. This doesn't necessarily follow from atheism. There are many other non eliminative/non reductive materialistic positions.

It's not by accident I said "strongest". I include medical science in the calculation.
Since you mentioned religion, you cannot deny that today religion is one of the strongest causes of fear, psychological/physical pain and suffering, most of it coming from one particular religion "of peace".

Well evil is kinda subjective

For suffering? Bad luck maybe?

I am curious about atheistic perspective on this issue.

I am sure it will make a lot of sense. :)
Why don't you go ask a couple of kiddie raping priests see what there answer is.

I never understood how the existence of God would have any correlation to the existence of suffering. Why would humans make this bizarre assumption that just because he exists he's concerned with your pain?

The only consistent definition of God across different religions is omnipotence. Everything else is some quirky nuance probably unique to your local branch. IE in multiverse theory the lair containing unique universes with specified physical laws would be physically lawless and omnipotent itself therefore God/heaven. Is the multiverse concerned with your personal ailments?

If some cosmologists conceptions of the multiverse are true then there are an infinite number of little children right now having red hot pokers rammed into them. So much for Brian Greene's pretty little picture of it.

I am not saying that is my conception. I'm just saying let's dispense with the idea that if there is a 'godless' multiverse that it somehow ought to induce a sanguine sense of awe and wonder. It is an endless torture chamber. Of course, there are atheists who accept this sort of cosmology who would argue that it is still not as monstrous as the orthodox Christian conception of hell. At least in the multiverse the endless numbers who end up drawing the short straw for maximum suffering will eventually die and never suffer again.

Last edited:
Every single part of it.

Incorrectly represented a belief system. Misused the word hypocrite. And just strung a bunch of idiotic words together like a child, some of which you also obviously don't understand.

You did not answered any questions but got personal instead.

It's sort of funny that the so-called answer to question "Can Atheists explain to me why there is evil and suffering in the world?" is 9 times out of ten "I hate God".

Yeah, Imo so far the best answers in this thread are "chemical processes" and "humans are selfish assholes".
I expected better explanations..

You were wrong in categorising all atheists into eliminative/reductive materialism. This doesn't necessarily follow from atheism. There are many other non eliminative/non reductive materialistic positions.

I did not really categorized all atheists. My point was that reductive materialism is the most logical position if one is materialist, other type of materialists does not make sense, as far as i have seen. Maybe i am wrong but it seems that once you stop being a materialistic reductionist you stop being a materialist.

Besides if materialism is not a logical conclusion from atheism then what is?

there is evil and suffering because there are evil people who enjoy making people suffer.

I did not really categorized all atheists. My point was that reductive materialism is the most logical position if one is materialist, other type of materialists does not make sense, as far as i have seen. Maybe i am wrong but it seems that once you stop being a materialistic reductionist you stop being a materialist.

Besides if materialism is not a logical conclusion from atheism then what is?

It doesn't make sense to you because you don't understand it. But this is nothing but an autobiographical remark. It says nothing about the whether or not other kinds of materialism are plausible, consistent, empirically adequate, etc.

Materialism in the modern sense means that everything is physical or physically realised. It is a monistic metaphysics.

Atheism does not necessarily imply naturalism. This is where you are confused.

people are animals....its called survival...no different than a shark eating a seal to live...

I cant beleive something like this wasnt on the first page..

Back