Calling all cooks! Do you have a signature chili recipe that you like to use?

Thanks for all the recipes for so far. I will try these out at some point.

Are these just recipes you guys find? I have no idea the measurements of spices/seasoning that I use - I just eye ball everything.

Are these just recipes you guys find? I have no idea the measurements of spices/seasoning that I use - I just eye ball everything.

Mine in the OP is a modification of a more basic recipe that I found online. Pretty soon I'll try some of these more complex recipes, but first I'll need to spend a small fortune in meats and spices.

What about the preparation?

Smoke the brisket, that is a whole other discussion. Cube it.

In a large SS pot, simmer the vegetables in oil for a few minutes. Then add the spices and let it bloom. After that I just start adding all the ingredients and then let the concoction combine flavors on low heat for 3 hours.

I found the recipe I posted somewhere, and then just tweaked it to ingredients that I have readily available etc. etc.

I too eyeball some spices, measure into my hand and then dump....etc.

I found the recipe I posted somewhere, and then just tweaked it to ingredients that I have readily available etc. etc.

I too eyeball some spices, measure into my hand and then dump....etc.

Yeah, I guess you have to be specific for a recipe but I can't imagine many chefs are sitting there with measuring spoons while adding seasoning to a dish. :icon_chee

Make it pozole style:

Add a can of white hominey

Add some chicken/beef stock

Add pozole style chili sauce*

* - get whatever kind of Mexican dried peppers from the store, steep them in boiling water for 15 minutes, blend them in the blender with some of the steeping liquid and a little salt, push through a strainer to get the little pieces of skin out

I don't measure shit and it's been a while, but I won a chili cookoff using skirt steak instead of ground beef, Guinness, coffee, and brown sugar. I ripped off a lot of the ideas from things I've seen with chefs.

I just estimated for people who have no idea how to cook.

I will not give out my secret, but lets just say the recipe involves a fart jar.

I make it different all the time but adhere to a few principles.

beans: red kidney, white kidney, black
tomato: one can of paste and the rest freshly pureed
meat: at least one type of ground animal and one type of cased sausage.
flavor: various chili powders, oregano, cumin.
veggies: various colors of pepper, jalapenos, red onion, yellow onion, celery.

I'll add a hint for chilli and salsa lovers...... if you didnt include cumin, you did it wrong.

it's the kick from this ingredient that sets great chilli and salsa apart from ok stuff.

Jesus Christ. That's a monster.

I've noticed that there seem to be two kinds of chili recipes: The quick and easy kind that only require a handful of ingredients and where you throw it in the pot cook for a few minutes. And the opposite, where it requires all kinds of ingredients and preparation and long cooking times.

All chili recipes need to be simmered on the stove for at least a couple of hours, no matter what the guy wrote on the website. Simple, elaborate, it all needs to stew for quite a while.

All chili recipes need to be simmered on the stove for at least a couple of hours, no matter what the guy wrote on the website. Simple, elaborate, it all needs to stew for quite a while.

That may be the BEST way but it's really not essential if you're just trying to make something up quickly. For many years I just used the McCormick recipe: ground beef, a can of tomatoes, a can of beans, McCormick chili mix . . . stir it all together, bring to a boil, and then simmer for 10 mins.

Boom. Chili.

Obviously it's not going to win awards, but it's perfectly serviceable. Add a little cheese and Cholula and you're good to go.

Beef, onion, garlic, many varieties of chili peppers, cumin, sea salt.

That's it. Anything more than that is ridiculous and not authentic chilli.

I like to use ground turkey and new Mexico red chile in mine. The rest is pretty standard stuff.

do you just eat chilli on its own or is it like a side dish?

I just use a really #dankbro IPA with some pork too.

Back