Calling all cooks! Do you have a signature chili recipe that you like to use?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Guestx, Nov 17, 2015.

1. bref

bref Black Belt

Chuck works good or any other fatty, well marbled cut like short rib . You want enough fat so that when you cook it for a long time the fat will render and leave a very tender piece of meat. If you use something like sirloin, with little fat, it will dry out after a while and basically be like chewing on a tire. Texas chili uses actual chunks of meat instead of ground meat, correct? If so, then buying a chuck roast or boneless short ribs and cutting them into pieces would probably be best.

2. rockylion

rockylion WITH A PLASTIC BAG FOR A HELMET

2 pounds ground beef chuck, 1 pound bulk Italian mild spicy sausage, 3 (15 ounce) cans chili beans, drained, 1 (15 ounce) can chili beans in spicy sauce, 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice, 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste, 1 large yellow onion, chopped, 3 stalks celery, chopped, 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped, 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped, 2 green chile peppers, seeded and chopped, 1 tablespoon bacon bits 4 cubes beef bouillon 1/2 cup beer, 1/4 cup mild chili powder, 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, 2 tablespoon minced garlic, 1 tablespoon dried oregano, 2 teaspoons ground cumin, 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce, 1 teaspoon dried basil, 1 tablespoon ground black pepper, 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper 1 teaspoon paprika 1 teaspoon white sugar
    Cook the meat first and then add everything else. Cook it once for 4 hours, let it cool over night then heat it up again on low for up to 12 hours

3. Chesten_Hesten

Chesten_Hesten The Wiener of Steel

I couldn't post that in a chili thread!

4. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot Brown Belt

I do it with chili and occasionally when I make stuffed peppers, my girlfriend always waits until the next day when she has me make bruschetta so the tomatoes soak up all the dressing

5. Creaturbing

Creaturbing Orange Belt

Former professional chef here. You are right. :icon_idea

The recipes that take longer and have mor ingredients are the better ones in my opinion.

6. TankAbbott4Eva

TankAbbott4Eva Red Belt

Bump. I pretty much do it this way. Generally red kidney, sometimes might add some chick peas as well, usually store bought puree though. Meat can vary, depending on what is leftover (brisket, pulled pork, pulled lamb all work well) and I like using a cased sausage as well.

And I like to use beer instead of stock most of the time, sometimes a mixture depending on what's on hand. And definitely some old drippings to cook my onions, capsicums etc.

Does anyone here add chocolate? I've seen a few recipes that add cocoa or even chocolate. Have tried it, prob not enough to have an effect though.

sickc0d3r and Cubo de Sangre like this.
  7. Cubo de Sangre

Cubo de Sangre Steel Belt

I have in the past. A little goes a long way in my experience.

sickc0d3r likes this.
  8. PoundMeToo

PoundMeToo Gold Belt

I've never added chocolate, but I add cinnamon

sickc0d3r likes this.
  9. sickc0d3r

sickc0d3r Black Belt

10. Caveat

Caveat Cold Light of the Moon Belt Platinum Member

Dammit shadow, I was going to make this thread and then cook a listed recipe every Sunday for a year or so.

Maybe I'll hijack yours. I'll post my recipe later.

11. Guestx

Guestx Guest

Feel free to hijack. Or honestly, we could just pretend this thread doesn't exist and you could make your own.

12. Cint

Cint Titanium Belt Platinum Member

13. Execute

Execute Gold Belt Platinum Member

My work serves chili on occasion and it's delicious.

14. GordoBarraBJJ

GordoBarraBJJ Yellow Card Yellow Card

4 pgs and no

Dusty Rhodes, 2DUM2TAP and bandicoot like this.
  15. bandicoot

bandicoot Red Belt

Hold up...

Your recipe calls for 2/3 cup, but you said the first time around you used too much, at 1/2 cup.

The hell you trying to pull here, TS?

16. Guestx

Guestx Guest

LOL

Well shit. It was so long ago when I made that post that I don't even remember now.

I actually haven't gone back to that recipe since I made that post since I just kept searching and trying new things.

I do remember that if you overdo the BBQ sauce then your chili just gets weird and really sweet, so you gotta be careful. . .

17. emefer

emefer Purple Belt

I'm in the bathroom, where I take a shit.
    I start with two onions diced. Fry them in my pot til the start to brown. Then I add a lot of diced garlic, maybe half a head, and sautée that. I then add tablespoon chili powder. Half a tablespoon cumin. Some ground cayenne pepper cumin salt pepper and then I add 2 lbs ground meat of choice and brown that. I add cut up bell pepper and some cut up hot peppers. A can of crushed tomatoes and a can of whole tomatoes with I rough cut so there is chunks. Then about three cans of rinsed beans. I add a few bay leaves which must be removed before eating. Bring to a boil and simmer for an hour or so, until the flavors meld, adjusting seasoning as needed and enough liquid has evaporated. Serve in a bowl topped with shredded cheddar fresh diced onions and sour cream.

Uncle Bingo and Guestx like this.
  18. emefer

emefer Purple Belt

I'm in the bathroom, where I take a shit.
    I like your use of bean variety. I do that as well and the garlic seems about right. I'm going to up my cumin and chili powder on the next batch.

19. mmaelitefan000

mmaelitefan000 Brown Belt

sorry but i'd rather eat chef boy r dee than what ur serving. if u want real home cooked recipes and if ur a carnivore, message me.

20. Pugilistic

Pugilistic Red Belt

I add cocoa powder/dark chocolate and wine.