Building strength without building size

7even

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I train in brazilian jiu jitsu and boxing. I like being lean, and I want to stay the same size. I'm six feet tall at around 195 pounds. However, I want to get stronger.

Is this even possible???

I am also six feet tall and we weigh about the same.

This was my squat PR (150 kg) 5 years ago. On that day I weighed 89 kg (196 lbs):

This is a rep PR I set last week (180 kg for 6 reps). On that day I weighed somewhere between 90-91 kg (198-200 lbs):

As am matter of fact, it is possible my quads are now thinner than in 2012 (I am around the same weight, but my upper-body mass was probably significantly smaller).

Short answer: yes.

Keep lifting but don't increase your macros

Your diet is pretty much the key here.

I am also six feet tall and we weigh about the same.

This was my squat PR (150 kg) 5 years ago. On that day I weighed 89 kg (196 lbs):
[MDIA=youtube]S2YZCCIZk0A[/MEDIA]

This is a rep PR I set last week (180 kg for 6 reps). On that day I weighed somewhere between 90-91 kg (198-200 lbs):
[MEDA=youtube]tJUE02yu6eY[/MEDIA]

As am matter of fact, it is possible my quads are now thinner than in 2012 (I am around the same weight, but my upper-body mass was probably significantly smaller).

Short answer: yes.

Now pause that set of six, you slut.

It is possible. You need a high intensity program and eventually more advanced programming to "trick"your body into strength gains.

What kind of diet should I do? High protein low carbs?

What kind of diet should I do? High protein low carbs?
keep protein at bodyweight, fats at 0.35/bw, and fill the rest up with carbs, then work from there. If you're the type that functions well on high fat, low carb, then you can switch to that. On that type of diet (low carb), you make up for it in fats. Protein isn't a good energy source.

Priorities are pretty simple

1) Calorie balance. Keep track of what you're eating, and if your weight starts to go up, reduce calories by 5-10 percent, keep track of results
2) Macros- sufficient protein to spare existing muscle, sufficient carbs for sport performance, then enough healthy fats to meet your minimum needs
3) Programming strenght training- use undulation during the week, and take deloads even when you don't feel like you "need" them so that you keep your chronic stress under control

It is possible. You need a high intensity program and eventually more advanced programming to "trick"your body into strength gains.

Ah yes. For instance, I occasionally set up to deadlift, then quickly run over and bench press so as to trick my body into being able to move more weight. This works because my body thinks I'm about to deadlift, so it gets ready to use more strength, then by quickly sprinting to the bench press I'm able to use that deadlift strength before my body has cottoned onto the fact that I'm doing something completely different. I call this the "overloading via looking left then sailing to the right" method.

Ah yes. For instance, I occasionally set up to deadlift, then quickly run over and bench press so as to trick my body into being able to move more weight. This works because my body thinks I'm about to deadlift, so it gets ready to use more strength, then by quickly sprinting to the bench press I'm able to use that deadlift strength before my body has cottoned onto the fact that I'm doing something completely different. I call this the "overloading via looking left then sailing to the right" method.
dat functionality

That's why we call you the Tricker.

im going to assume this is a smart ass comment....quite the usual with you....that said i have no fucking clue what your talking about

You don't need to increase size to gain strength, especially if you're a beginner.

im going to assume this is a smart ass comment....quite the usual with you....that said i have no fucking clue what your talking about

Ah yes, that's because your train of thought travels along the lanes of having to "trick" your muscles into gaining strength.

Ah yes, that's because your train of thought travels along the lanes of having to "trick" your muscles into gaining strength.

That is essentially what you are doing when you are on an advanced program and not gaining weight. You wont be gaining muscle but high intensity liftinf should be your default when doing it. That wont work forever and you will have to shock your nueromuscular system with periods if high volume/lesser intensity followed by a period of tapering with very high intensity. If you dont you will not get stronger trying to maintain weight and even with the progress will be slower than if you were. Notice I put the word "trick" in quotations. If you have a problem with any of that please do air it out here and teach us all something you little twerp.

That is essentially what you are doing when you are on an advanced program and not gaining weight. You wont be gaining muscle but high intensity liftinf should be your default when doing it. That wont work forever and you will have to shock your nueromuscular system with periods if high volume/lesser intensity followed by a period of tapering with very high intensity. If you dont you will not get stronger trying to maintain weight and even with the progress will be slower than if you were. Notice I put the word "trick" in quotations. If you have a problem with any of that please do air it out here and teach us all something you little twerp.
I'm liking this post purely for use of the word twerp.

Back