Media BSD's Manager on how the fight with Poirier came to be, and comments on Islam

Really surprised Dustin took this fight.
He has to. It’s his most winnable match up. He’s not going to fight armen or gamrot, which id bet a large sum of money he was offered both but said no. His best bet is to fight bsd, and if he wins seek dariush.

I think the issue is the Mgr's comments on Islam's selective and calculated scheduling. It may be a function of interpretation - you're right.

The facts is Islam did not have a great SoS when he got the title shot. In fact it was straight up poor relative to avg title contender SoS for last 5 years at LW.
Viewed another way. Islam dominated 10 fights in a row, barely losing a round (I think he lost to Arman on a few scorecards; too lazy to look it up) & multiple top contenders declined the fight or pulled out.
Same set of circumstances. Both facts. Just characterized differently.

My biggest takeaway is if he's right and Islam only fights once this year - and it's not b/c of a serious injury - I will be really disappointed in Islam and it's bs for the division. Charles took on everyone back to back to back. Islam has limitations (Ramadan) but that's a 2-3 month work around. He should NOT be fighting only 1/yr if healthy. Lame and not Champ worthy if it plays out that way.
It’s going to play out that way it’s already playing out that way the fact that Islam fought in October, won in the second round without getting hurt at all, and still coule not manage to get a fight before Ramadan tells you everything you need to know. he does not want to fight before Ramadan. Volk fought in October and is making it to February. Strickland fought in September and makes it to January. O’Malley fights in August and makes it to march. Islam has no excuses to not be fighting before march. He has 3 viable contenders in Gaethje armen and oliveria. He says he’ll fight June but it’s much more likely the ufc will save him for AD watch, they will not bank on him fighting in June and also making it to fight island in Dubai. They will have him fight there in October, unless they move the ad card to August or September.

Either way, I’ll signature or av bet anyone on this forum that Islam only fights once in 2024

Back