Media BSD's Manager on how the fight with Poirier came to be, and comments on Islam

fortheo

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score

Translation / cliffs for the sherbros

About the poirier fight:
  • He was originally aiming for Dariush or Hooker, but went for Poirier as a long shot and didn't tell Benoit that he was working on it.
  • It took a month worth of negotiations to make the fight official. There were hold ups on Poirier's side, which he understands because if he was Poirier's manager, he wouldn't accept the fight.
  • Mentioned that there's one sure way to make fighters accept fights, and it is to give them more money. He presumes that Poirier will make a large amount of money to "be put to sleep by bsd" and says that we will know when we see the fighters salaries released after the fight.
  • Mentions that a large part of the reason this fight came to fruition is because of Benoit's performances and the fact that the UFC have fallen for Benoit's story and charm.
  • The idea for 5 rounds came a little bit more from his side (benoit's manager's). He says Benoit is someone who runs through his opponents, and the more time you give him, the more ground he will take. Also mentions that with how they fight, he doesn't see the fight going 5 rounds anyways.
Is it for a title shot? comments on Islam:
  • First they need to win, but he'd like it to be for a title shot, admits that it's complicated though.
  • Will be difficult to get a title shot if Islam stays champion because you must not believe what islam tweeted about his schedule of fighting Gaethje and then the winner of Arman/oliveira -- he is a guy that fights once per year, he likes sleeping with his belt and keeping it for a very long time.
  • Says islam will fight after Ramadan, then he won't fight again until the next year.
  • Mentions Islam hasn't defended his belt against lightweights yet and he's a guy that doesn't like to put himself in danger.
  • Says that Islam was very smart to prolong his schedule and let his most dangerous opponent (I think he means arman, could be oliveira though) be booked by the UFC, and then right when arman and oliveira gets booked, say, "oh, I'm ready to fight!"
  • Believes Islam is very calculative in these regards.

He talks about other things as well, but not exactly relevant to me so I won't translate.

Last edited:
It’s nice to see Dusty is actually open to such a matchup this point in his career. Hopefully they're taking care of him like 500k guaranteed and maybe a 125k signing bonus and a guaranteed number one contender fight next if he wins. And yes I know nothing is ever guaranteed with Dana around but it’s a useful chip to have regardless.

Not sure they'll know if Poirier got more money based on the salaries released. It's possible they gave him ppv points or more ppv points than he was already getting.

Yeah, I wasn't sure on that part either. Still, I agree with his assumption that they threw some extra cash Poirier's way in some form or another.

I don't think BSD should earn a title shot with a win, Gaethje already earned his off KO'ing Poirier. Shouldn't be able to earn a title shot from beating a guy recently KO'd and who has lost 2 of his last 3 coming into this fight.

But yeah beating Poirier would be very impressive & he'd only be one fight away from a title shot imo if he's able to pull it off.

About the poirier fight:
  • He was originally aiming for Dariush or Hooker, but went for Poirier as a long shot and didn't tell Benoit that he was working on it.
  • It took a month worth of negotiations to make the fight official. There were hold ups on Poirier's side, which he understands because if he was Poirier's manager, he wouldn't accept the fight.
  • Mentioned that there's one sure way to make fighters accept fights, and it is to give them more money. He presumes that Poirier will make a large amount of money to "be put to sleep by bsd" and says that we will know when we see the fighters salaries released after the fight.
  • Mentions that a large part of the reason this fight came to fruition is because of Benoit's performances and the fact that the UFC have fallen for Benoit's story and charm.
  • The idea for 5 rounds came a little bit more from his side (benoit's manager's). He says Benoit is someone who runs through his opponents, and the more time you give him, the more ground he will take. Also mentions that with how they fight, he doesn't see the fight going 5 rounds anyways.
  • First they need to win, but he'd like it to be for a title shot.
  • Will be difficult to get a title shot if Islam stays champion because you must not believe what islam tweeted about his schedule of fighting Gaethje and then the winner of Arman/oliveira -- he is a guy that fights once per year, he likes sleeping with his belt and keeping it for a very long time.
  • Says islam will fight after Ramadan, then he won't fight again until the next year.
  • Mentions Islam hasn't defended his belt against lightweights yet and he's a guy that doesn't like to put himself in danger
  • Says that Islam was very smart to prolong his schedule and let his most dangerous opponent (I think he means arman, could be oliveira though) be booked by the UFC, and then right when arman and oliveira gets booked, say, "oh, I'm ready to fight!"

He talks about other things as well, but not exactly relevant to me so I won't translate.

Thanks brother! Great cliffs here!

I don't think BSD should earn a title shot with a win, Gaethje already earned his off KO'ing Poirier. Shouldn't be able to earn a title shot from beating a guy recently KO'd and who has lost 2 of his last 3 coming into this fight.

But yeah beating Poirier would be very impressive & he'd only be one fight away from a title shot imo if he's able to pull it off.

Yeah. He seemed pretty aware that it wasn't going to be for a title shot. I think Benoit will have to fight loser of Oliveira/arman, or loser of Gaethje/islam or maybe winner of RDA vs. Gamrot. Either way, I think he'll need one more if he beats porier.

Typical sleazy manager trying to talk like he's the fighter. Of course it's not for a title, BSD doesn't have 1 ranked win, and is fighting someone coming off a loss, who's only ranked win himself is a guy with a losing record. Islam fought twice last year, twice the year before, and 3 times the year before that, and of Arman/Charles, he already demolished Charles, then granted a rematch, and Charles pulled out, and he already beat Arman as well, and Arman just got his first ranked win a few weeks ago, and lost to someone outside the top 10 the year before.

Typical sleazy manager trying to talk like he's the fighter. Of course it's not for a title, BSD doesn't have 1 ranked win, and is fighting someone coming off a loss, who's only ranked win himself is a guy with a losing record. Islam fought twice last year, twice the year before, and 3 times the year before that, and of Arman/Charles, he already demolished Charles, then granted a rematch, and Charles pulled out, and he already beat Arman as well, and Arman just got his first ranked win a few weeks ago, and lost to someone outside the top 10 the year before.

You're right. They should fight two weeks notice bobby green instead and get a title shot off that. He was asked if he thought they'd get a title shot after poirier, so of course he said they'd like one, but he admitted things are complicated and they haven't even beaten Poirier yet. I'm not sure why what he said bugged you so much. He is free to say that he thinks islam will only fight once this year. We'll see if he's right or not, personally I think Islam will get two in.

Last edited:
Poirier getting more money to beat a much lower ranked fighter than he has fought in many years. I like it !

• Mentions Islam hasn't defended his belt against lightweights yet and he's a guy that doesn't like to put himself in danger.

Fuck this dude. Islam can't fight with all top guys same time. And he is active champion who fight three times in year.

Really surprised Dustin took this fight.

Dustin knows that he's running out of options in the top 5 and eventually has to give an opportunity to a prospect. If you look at who's below Dustin in the rankings, it becomes clearer why he rolled the dice on BSD.

Arman, Gamrot, Fiziev, and Jalin Turner are stylistically difficult fights.

He's already beaten Chandler and Hooker.

Dariush isn't a name.

RDA is fighting at WW these days.

That leaves BSD who has a lot of hype surrounding him and is a winnable fight for Dustin. The UFC could very well reward him with another title shot.

You're right. They should fight two weeks notice bobby green instead and get a title shot off that. He was asked if he thought they'd get a title shot after poirier, so of course he said they'd like one, but he admitted things are complicated and they haven't even beaten Poitier yet. I'm not sure why what he said bugged you so much. He is free to say that he thinks islam will only fight once this year. We'll see if he's right or not, personally I think Islam will get two in.
Why was it 2 weeks notice? Oh that's right, because yet another ranked opponent pulled out at the last minute or ducked him entirely. He was on a 10 fight win streak and just ran through #6 in 2 minutes like he was a grappling dummy. BSD isn't even top 10.

It’s nice to see Dusty is actually open to such a matchup this point in his career. Hopefully they're taking care of him like 500k guaranteed and maybe a 125k signing bonus and a guaranteed number one contender fight next if he wins. And yes I know nothing is ever guaranteed with Dana around but it’s a useful chip to have regardless.
He’d be making much more than that, I’ll have a look around and see if I can find some info but pretty sure he’s on $800k-$1mil purse. Plus PPV

Really surprised to see Poirier take this fight. Especially since he said he was open to money fights from now on.

This is an amazing opportunity for BSD. Should he win in spectacular fashion and somehow the timelines for the other guys don't work out, him getting a TS is not out of the question.

Realistically, if he wins, he will need one more before a TS. Maybe even the loser of Arman/Olives or the loser of Gaethje/Islam if the timeline works out. Seems like the UFC is slowly getting behind him: new market, exciting, heavy hands, kill or be killed mentality. Can wait to see the fight.

As for his managers comments, I get it, it's promotion, you have to talk shit. Even if it is not true.

Makhachev fought the LW Champ who was P4P #3 at the time, then made a reasonable turnaround to fight then UFC preselected next challenger the P4P #1 FW Champ in his hometown. After that he claimed he asked the UFC for a fight in the summer. Then signed a contract to fight the former LW Champ again. And recently, claimed he wanted a fight in March.

Doesn't sound like a guy signing up for easy fights nor just sitting on his belt. The UFC gives him a challenger and he takes it.

About the poirier fight:
  • First they need to win, but he'd like it to be for a title shot, admits that it's complicated though.

If you take his comments on Islam at face value you'd think Islam was the one that pulled out against Charles and not vice versa. You can't pretend like Islam is doing any ducking when he accepted multiple opponents after Charles' pullout. The whole "Islam's quote" bs in the UFC Pi is a glaring anomaly in the usual UFC lie-fest. I actually do believe that Dana sucked Islam off so much on that quote that Islam really did accept anyone.

So Islam challenged #1 p4p a guy undefeated for years. And then Islam accepted against the guy who destroyed every other top LW except for him. I get him hyping up his guy and perhaps he is privy to inside info that I am not. But based on the reading I've done and the public announcements I think he's full of shit about Islam's calculated scheduling.

One last thing - If he's right that Islam fights after Ramadan but then not later in the year (esp if he is healthy around time of Abu Dhabi card) I will give him props for in fact being far more knowledgeable about this and in fact being right.

Back