Brittish priest being deported after living legally in US for 14 years: for voting in 2006

HockeyBjj

Putting on the foil
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/an-illinois-priest-living-legally-in-the-us-for-14-years-is-being-deported-—-over-a-single-vote-he-shouldn’t-have-cast/ar-AAAzlc0?ocid=ientp

Rev. David Boase has been a priest at two Episcopal churches for the past 14 years in Alton, a southern Illinois river town on the banks of the Mississippi, and when he arrived from England in 2004, he said he knew fairly quickly that he never intended to leave. It was, “as we say about priestly work,” his calling.

“It was a heartfelt sense of belonging, and that was a large part of the impetus of my seeking citizenship,” Boase, 69, told The Washington Post. “I just wanted to belong in the fullest possible way here in America, as a responsible citizen.”

But that’s all scheduled to come crashing down Friday, when Boase, a legal permanent resident, expects to be removed from the country by an immigration judge because of a violation 12 years ago.

At issue? A single vote cast in 2006. When a friend informed him it was illegal, Boase said, “I never voted again.”

So the spin here is that how horrible it is that immigration policies deport a law abiding and good man over a small mistake. The Priest admitted to voting back in 2006 during his paperwork to become a US Citizen.

My takeaway, is that clearly we do indeed have a vulnerability to illegal voting if this guy was able to register to vote and actually vote without being stopped at all. Heck, it was only caught because he was honest on a questionnaire over a decade later.

LOL, Democraps said there is zero evidence of illegal voting but this guy did it without problem.

Did he really think he could legally vote? Is he retarded?

Who cares how many kids he touched for fourteen years...

The real question is, who did he vote for..!?

Why not just seek asylum? As a priest of the Episcopalian faith he is being deported to a country that is hostile and not safe for him.

This is why we need voter ID at the polls. It's not racist. We just need to know who is voting. We can't have non-citizens voting.

LOL, Democraps said there is zero evidence of illegal voting but this guy did it without problem.

"Boase said it all began when he passed his driver’s test at an Illinois DMV in 2005, and a government employee asked him if he would like to register to vote. Despite Boase’s two forms of British identification, Boase said, the employee did not question his citizenship, leading him to believe registering would be fine."

Sure, stupid of him, but I'm much more concerned that no system at all stopped this. Easy as anyone else for a non-legal to vote person to register

How can you expect people to know how to react to this story without saying who he voted for?

Voter ID seems like a minimal precaution. Who would argue against that?

"Boase said it all began when he passed his driver’s test at an Illinois DMV in 2005, and a government employee asked him if he would like to register to vote. Despite Boase’s two forms of British identification, Boase said, the employee did not question his citizenship, leading him to believe registering would be fine."

Sure, stupid of him, but I'm much more concerned that no system at all stopped this. Easy as anyone else for a non-legal to vote person to register

The entire world scratches their heads at this stuff, but as Onionesque as it is to disregard common sense voting procedure, deporting someone for this after being a citizen for a decade could be worse, if true of course:

"From what Boase recalls, the vote he cast the following year was for a ballot measure to boost fire-protection resources for the local fire department."

The argument has always been that the amount is insubstantial. A statement that has been shared by some Republicans.

As far as numbers go, Trump's commission that was set up to find all this evidence of widespread fraud turned up very little.

"It appears that Secretary Dunlap is willfully blind to the voter fraud in front of his nose," Kobach said in a statement released by his spokesman.

Kobach said there have been more than 1,000 convictions for voter fraud since 2000, and that the commission presented 8,400 instances of double voting in the 2016 election in 20 states.

"Had the commission done the same analysis of all 50 states, the number would have been exponentially higher," Kobach said.

In response, Dunlap said those figures were never brought before the commission, and that Kobach hasn't presented any evidence for his claims of double voting. He said the commission was presented with a report claiming over 1,000 convictions for various forms of voter misconduct since 1948.

"The plural of anecdote is not data," Dunlap said in his Friday letter to the shuttered commission's leaders.

Also, Mr. Kobach seems to have a serious misunderstanding of what people mean when they say something is or will be exponentially larger.

The entire world scratches their heads at this stuff, but as Onionesque as it is to disregard common sense voting procedure, deporting someone for this after being a citizen for a decade could be worse, if true of course:

"From what Boase recalls, the vote he cast the following year was for a ballot measure to boost fire-protection resources for the local fire department."

Oh I completely agree with you that kicking this guy out of our country is not the right thing to do

My point though was of my concern of just how easy it is to vote without being a citizen, that someone can simply mistakenly do it and there is nothing to stop even that

Last edited:
I've also heard/seen similar, but I don't understand the argument. It literally makes no sense to me so I am hoping that maybe I am missing something? I would prefer all votes can be counted and verified attached to the individual voter. Seems like it would solve or help solve a significant amount of problems.

Why would voter identification for each vote, each person, be a negative thing? What are we scared of here?
I don't know. A Democrat would have to chime in here.

Legit question. What is the argument against this?

the argument is that it's racist to require poor people to have an id. Regardless of the fact that poor people need id to open bank accounts, cash a check, receive govt assistance, etc.

There is a system in place to stop it.

It's called voter registration. The person handling his registration should have caught it.

Or do you have a cure for incompetence?

Do you really think Democrats meant it literally. The gist of the Democrat argument was that illegal voting wasn't an issue, i.e. we don't have significant number of non-citizens voting.

Re. this priest.
He made a mistake, a small mistake in the grand scheme of things, that shouldn't be reason enough to deport him.

You lost the conversation at "British Priest".

If he was an "American Priest" that would be different. No, I do not expect you to understand what I mean even in the slightest.

I've also heard/seen similar, but I don't understand the argument. It literally makes no sense to me so I am hoping that maybe I am missing something? I would prefer all votes can be counted and verified attached to the individual voter. Seems like it would solve or help solve a significant amount of problems.

Why would voter identification for each vote, each person, be a negative thing? What are we scared of here?

Voter ID by itself isn't racist. It's how Republicans in red states and districts go about implementing voter ID.. a point that is consistently ignored by the promoters of voter ID laws.

The laws are commonly put in place directly before elections to have the greatest impact on the electorate, not say in the two years between elections when implementation would cause no discrepancy. They also close down DMV offices in certain areas to make getting a new ID that much more difficult right before the election. They change working hours on in the places to make it more difficult as well.

It also just so happens that the demographics least likely to have a valid ID happen to be minority groups.

Basically, as I said, the ID laws aren't racist, it's how they implement the laws and the communities that are most impacted by them that make them racist. It's a similar pattern where you see them pop up.

>Implement totally not racist voter ID law

>Target DMVs and put as many obstacles as possible in minority neighborhoods to actually obtain an ID.

>Cheer about low voter turnout in those districts.

>Make pretend its not racist or politically motivated.

Last edited:
Back