Bring back old school tourneys

I feel tournaments in UFC will remedy many of the problems UFC are heading into. They are fast approaching the boxing format where everyone is ducking each other for the Conor treatment.

A yearly tournament to crown the champ of a division could be done over two to three months. From October to mid December, they could have tournament season. Seeing as how UFC put so many shows on, they could pull this off for most weekends with fights that mean something.
So, lets go with Lightweight division. Top 8 guys would be Khabib, Alvarez, Poirier, Ferguson, Gaetjhe, Kevin Lee, Barboza, Chiesa. Both NAte Diaz and Conor would still be acting like they deserve red carpet treatment? Ok, they can fuck off out of the tournament. The tourney format could be the one guaranteed system where each winner has an increase of payment for progression of rounds. The final of the tourney being the best pay out of the year.
This rewards the fighter in the right way.
Unfortunately, UFC have shot themselves in the foot with the Conor fiasco, so making tournaments work might seem like a mountain of a task to pull off.
Also, fighters might not have enough fights on their contract to commit to the tournaments. Eddie Alvarez has only one fight on his contract left which is why we haven't heard much from him. He's wanting something special before he leaves UFC probably.

haha.

I know this cause I was at the event it was in san jose.

carmont beat Anthony Ruiz to be an Alternate and it worked out I guess haha
Cool event to have seen live, I'm sure.

Envious.

WSOF did a LW tourney. It’s a fun idea that can get derailed by injuries.

Single night tournaments would not get sanctioned in America these days, 3+ fights is probably not the safest thing for a fighter lol.

Tournament over the span of a few days? Longer? Sure. I'd love that.

who gives a fuck what is the safest thing for the fighters? You know whats safe? Not going into a career where you get punched in the face thousands of times and could potentially be jobless overnight due to injury.

Maybe not one night tourneys but tourneys in general are a good idea imo.

Too many injuries. Great concept, but so many disappointments. Pride tournaments gave fighters time to recover, so I liked them better.

Single night tournaments would not get sanctioned in America these days, 3+ fights is probably not the safest thing for a fighter lol.

True but they could still at least do it like Bellator - tourney format but each bracket is on a different event.

you should generally not fight if you are worried about your health.
<Y2JSmirk>

I truly believe tournaments are still possible, even at the highest level. If the fans make it known that they want to see a tournament more than anything, I know Dana and company would get on board. I also think most commissions would somehow get on board too, if it's not crazy like the 2000 GP.

Having more than 2 rounds in a night is too big of a leap right away. All I'm asking for is the classic PRIDE structure. Single rounds, until the semi's. Just do the semis and finals in the same night. So, it's only one fight that would really bother the commission. I just think that is true magic for a fan, when you are going through the 4 possibilities for the finals. You watch the semifinals with the sharpest eyes.

In today's mma, there will be injuries and horseshit. So, they may need to spread out the events. Instead of doing it over the course of 4-5 months like Pride, maybe they could do it over 7-8 months.

But the one request of mine would be to never postpone any fights in the tournament. The best way to ensure this is to brand the tournament events like PRIDE did. Keep it tight with 3 branded events. You're already tying up a division, you don't need to tie up your schedule.

If someone is injured 2 weeks out, he's out of the tournament. It sucks, but that's how it should be. Exceptions would be made for horseshit that happens during the fight (Fedor/Nog 2). But otherwise, you just replace the fighter with a qualified alternate (Bustamante for Arona, Misaki for Filho). Of course, if someone is injured before Rd 1 or 2, he can fight for a reserve spot in Rd 3 or 4.

There will be plenty of asterisks in the history books, but I just want to see if the tournament is worth it. I think mma fans are dying to see something like this. I really wish they'd give it a shot.

UFC could have done an 8 man ww tourney. 4 fights one event, 2 the next then finals on 3rd card. Maybe a good idea for lhw.

Longer?! Fuck that. What's the point then?

One night torunaments don't look possible anymore..but they could at least do a tournament.

Back