Bring back old school tourneys

Coolkid666

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I'm watching all the UFC events, I'm at UFC 7 so far...and it's pretty awesome.

Who else thinks the UFC needs to get their nuts back and do 1 night tournaments again?

I'm not great at making threads but I'd like to read everyones thoughts/ideas

4395606-3093314-dragonball+z+210+-+the+world+tournament.mkv_001236777.jpg

Single night tournaments would not get sanctioned in America these days, 3+ fights is probably not the safest thing for a fighter lol.

Tournament over the span of a few days? Longer? Sure. I'd love that.

Not the best way to make money. Kiss those days goodbye.

USADA + NSAC = Death of tournaments forever.

Also consider top fighters making top money would avoid entering. Why should they participate?

Are you going to pay Conor per fight? NO.

im thinking a mini 4-man one night tournament. where every fight is 3 rounds. That way the fighters are fighting 6 rounds which is basically almost like a 5 round fight since you get a big break in between the 2 fights.... this way maybe theyd sanction it?

winner of this tournament gets a shot at the title.
Darren Till vs Wonderboy
Colby vs RDA

I'd watch the shit out of that.

<<Bring back old school tourneys>>

giphy.gif

They can certainly do two fights in one night... Bellator does it, so could they.

They'd have to do it with the opening round at one event, semis and finals at another down the road.

I'm all for it. It would probably actually help them get some PPV buys they covet so much. And, as real fight fans, how could we not salivate at the thought of grand prixs featuring the current roster?

They could even do an openweight tourney, and just make it a HW tourney with some MW and LHW fighters thrown in, just as Bellator is currently doing now. The Bellator tourney IS essentially an OW tourney, they just made it a "HW" tourney to circumvent the commision's weight class rules. Good call, Scott Coker. Smart guy.

I would love it. Everyone would. However, the UFC would never allow it, as the champs and other undefeated fighters in each division would have a very big chance of losing.

im thinking a mini 4-man one night tournament. where every fight is 3 rounds. That way the fighters are fighting 6 rounds which is basically almost like a 5 round fight since you get a big break in between the 2 fights.... this way maybe theyd sanction it?

winner of this tournament gets a shot at the title.
Darren Till vs Wonderboy
Colby vs RDA

I'd watch the shit out of that.
Only five rounds can be fought in one night. Bellator has a two round semifinal, and a three round final.

That's per CSAC.

thats pretty sick, yah thats also fine too.

What event did bellator do that at?
They had a LHW tourney at Dynamite 2015. Four man, one night tourney, featuring Emanuel Newton, Phil Davis, Linton Vassell, and King Mo.

Actually, King Mo dropped out last minute. Forgive me, that was a while ago now.

Not sure why they never had more Dynamite cards since. They planned on it being a yearly event. Perhaps they didn't get the ratings they were looking for? They could still do them now, even though Glory Kickboxing would no longer be involved. Just throw in fighters from Bellator Kickboxing and it's a party.

Now I'm seeing that Bellator did have a Dynamite 2, in 2016, that wasn't very awesome. Which explains why I didn't recall them having it. I guess after that card they decided no more.

Single night tournaments would not get sanctioned in America these days, 3+ fights is probably not the safest thing for a fighter lol.

Tournament over the span of a few days? Longer? Sure. I'd love that.
In Ca.. it's no more then 5 rounds in one night for mma. Usually a 2 round semifinal and a 3 round final. It can be done and does happen.. but in regards to the UFC, fighter pay would be the issue, as would be who gets to be in the tournament's.

All for it. I'm very interested in the Bellator HW tourney and it has a bunch of old guys and non HW's. At least you end up with the best in the field fighting the best, instead of the hand picking opponents and ducking other contenders that is going on in UFC.

In ufc it will never happen again

More likely in bellator if they can get some big name guys. They need to keep prying talent away from the ufc. They couldn’t get cub and I’m not sure the status on Dodson,

glory kickboxing does 1 night 4 fighters things.

when bellator tried to do it csac only allowed it as 2 round rights and I think az made rules for that event that wsof put on.
I'm watching all the UFC events, I'm at UFC 7 so far...and it's pretty awesome.

Who else thinks the UFC needs to get their nuts back and do 1 night tournaments again?

I'm not great at making threads but I'd like to read everyones thoughts/ideas

View attachment 359683

Actually, King Mo dropped out last minute. Forgive me, that was a while ago now.

Not sure why they never had more Dynamite cards since. They planned on it being a yearly event. Perhaps they didn't get the ratings they were looking for? They could still do them now, even though Glory Kickboxing would no longer be involved. Just throw in fighters from Bellator Kickboxing and it's a party.

king mo won his 2 round fight but was to hurt to fight phil davis. phil davis beat Francis Carmont who fought on the prelims.

Back