Mundo Hispano FECARBOX Champion
@Titanium
Reaction score
Breidis-vs-Perez.jpg

12 rounds WBC CW title-

#4 Mairis Briedis (22-0, 18 KO's)

vs

Mike Perez (22-2-1, 14 KO's)

9/30 2 PST/ 3 MST/ 4 CST/ 5 EST free legal stream https://worldboxingsuperseries.com/

Last edited:
Nothing to me sticks out about Briedis save for his footwork. I think Irish Mike gets the upset.

Last edited:
I honestly don't know what Perez has left at this point. I'll go with the champ here just because he's fresher and only the great Orlin Norris ever moved down and won a cruiserweight title(I think). Perez isn't on Orlin's level (dead serious). You have to be a fairly quick heavyweight to go down to cruiser and win at the elite level.

Perez never should have been a HW to begin with.

I'm really looking forward to this one, Perez is my dark horse for the tourney.

This gun be good.

It is tough to really gauge Perez as he does look like he's taking the sport seriously going off of his conditioning and physique, but we haven't seen him box a meaningful round since he looked terrible and was stopped by Povetkin around two years ago. On the other side, I like Briedis's style (nice footwork and good punch selelction), but I still do have some questions about his gas tank over 12 against a genuinely good opponent who will press the action (a shot Huck isn't that, and I think that against both Durodala and Huck he got noticeably tired and sloppier in some of the later rounds). It's definitely an interesting fight with a lot of unknowns for both men.

Perez- 197
Briedis- 198.6

Banging with Briedis isn't a good idea and we've only seen Perez at CW once in his last fight against that Slovakian guy who wasn't close to being ranked. Briedis can be outboxed, going back to when I watched him fight Simon Vallily, but knows how to quickly stop his opponent's momentum and get them out of rhythm. For instance, he knows exactly when to clinch and he'll use it as necessary to do that.

What a fight.... Cruiser weight is ignored too much.

Perez KO late.

I'm surprised some of you guys making these bold predictions of an upset don't gamble with Perez as a +450 underdog. I also think Perez is a bit of a wild card here.

FYI, the Audience channel on DirecTV and some other platforms in the U.S. will be showing the fight on tv on Saturday at 7 PM EDT on a slight tape delay.

I'm surprised some of you guys making these bold predictions of an upset don't gamble with Perez as a +450 underdog. I also think Perez is a bit of a wild card here.

FYI, the Audience channel on DirecTV and some other platforms in the U.S. will be showing the fight on tv on Saturday at 7 PM EDT on a slight tape delay.

Perez has fought as a Cruiser for roughly 20 seconds in his last fight against a bum on short notice. It looks like the guy took a dive too. I don't get the Perez upset predictions either.

Do you know what channel in the US this this will be shown on?

You're probably right... Briedis has proved me wrong many times now (Charr, Durodola, Huck).
But I'm banking on Perez being better than those 3.

By the way, you guys misunderstood me about Briedis vs Perez. I actually put money on Perez for better or for worse. I was questioning why other people who go out on a limb and predict a big upset don't throw a few bucks on it too if they really feel that way.

Perez has fought as a Cruiser for roughly 20 seconds in his last fight against a bum on short notice. It looks like the guy took a dive too. I don't get the Perez upset predictions either.

http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/489762

i dont think anyone would disagree that a 300 pound andy ruiz is not better than the 255 pound version

maybe mike perez will be better at 200 than the 235 pound version that beat magomed?

its a possibiliy, right?

who looks to be in better shape here?

perez-compare.jpg

to me, the 2017 photo shows a ripped fighter and the 2014 photo shows a fighter very much out of shape

http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/489762

i dont think anyone would disagree that a 300 pound andy ruiz is not better than the 255 pound version

maybe mike perez will be better at 200 than the 235 pound version that beat magomed?

its a possibiliy, right?

who looks to be in better shape here?

perez-compare.jpg

to me, the 2017 photo shows a ripped fighter and the 2014 photo shows a fighter very much out of shape

Perez was inactive for 2 years and recently came back to a new division (Cruiser) where he spent a grand total of roughly 20 seconds against a short notice bum of an opponent that appears (to me) that he took a dive. The shape he's in currently doesn't tell me anything about what he's capable of at Cruiserweight in this tournament. We simply don't know yet.

Perez was inactive for 2 years and recently came back to a new division (Cruiser) where he spent a grand total of roughly 20 seconds against a short notice bum of an opponent that appears (to me) that he took a dive. The shape he's in currently doesn't tell me anything about what he's capable of at Cruiserweight in this tournament. We simply don't know yet.

i agree and thats why the large odds which i was more than willing to take a chance on especially since they are offering live betting.

if 200 pound perez can fight lik he did against magomed this fight is going to be a war that marius has never been in unless you call chinny dudodola a war

The odds seem a little it off and the fight could be a bit closer but still briedis should get this

It's easier to be a great Cruiserweight and move up to Heavyweight than be an above average Heavyweight moving down to face the elite at 200lbs. People assume all kinds of advantages to moving down but there are drawbacks too...also its not like he fought at the elite level at heavyweight. its an interesting move, but it might fail too.

Back