Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961) & Singin' in the Rain (1952)

Saw Breakfast a long time ago. Not sure the hype.

Saw Singing a month ago and loved it.

Oh, and Mickey Rooney as the neighbor upstairs:

What the fuck?

Read the novella of Breakfast At Tiffany's today.

Book is sooooooooooooo much better than the movie.

Read the novella of Breakfast At Tiffany's today.

Book is sooooooooooooo much better than the movie.

While I like the film, I agree with you: that book is perfectly written, the characters are a little more rounded & the plot somewhat darker and sadder. Always felt like book Holly is a female version of the Jay Gatsby (of Great Gatsby fame).

That said, the movie does have some perfect scenes and Audrey + George Peppard are perfectly cast... and it's nice to imagine a happy ending to Holly's story.

Singin' in the Rain...

While Gene Kelly is a fantastic dancer, Donald O'Connor is next-level up fantastic at dancing. I was amazed at how incredible O'Connor was!

No slight on the Magnificent Mr. Kelly intended.

The first time I watched Singin' in the Rain, was for a film class. I loved it for a lot of reasons but was very intrigued by the subplot of Hollywood transitioning to talking pictures and the rise of the musical. In the Coen Brothers' Hail Caesar, we see a bit of a parallel where it's set in the 50s (when Singin' in the Rain was made) and gossip columnists, blacklisted Communist writers, studio fixers, and the focus on sweeping epics, musicals, and westerns made the setting so integral to the plot and the individual characters. So similar to SitR and surely was inspired by same.

I prefer Singin' in the Rain. Just more fun to watch. Although Audrey Hepburn is quite a looker in Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Back