Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961) & Singin' in the Rain (1952)

G

Guestx

I'm on another push to get caught up with some classic films that I never got around to, so in the past few days I watched Breakfast at Tiffany's and Singin' in the Rain.

No, these movies don't have anything to do with each other. I just didn't feel like creating two separate threads for movies that probably won't generate a ton of discussion anyway.

Audrey is charming as always in Breakfast at Tiffany's and I thought it told an interesting story of a wayward soul who was just drifting through life, searching desperately for something--someone--to anchor herself to. I was a bit surprised by how explicitly it dealt with some of the adult themes, considering when it was made, but I guess the 60s is really when we began to see that shift in Hollywood films.

giphy.gif

1*enj1CT9HDv16ZUDvBB6ERg.gif

Singin' in the Rain I thought was just fantastic. Similar to the recent Amazon show The Last Tycoon, which I highly recommend, it's a movie about making movies. I actually knew nothing about the plot going into the film and ended up being pleasantly surprised. The "singing and dancing" numbers were all very well done and it was nice to see Gene Kelly's famous dance scene from the film in context.

giphy.gif

tumblr_nq4nrcOmuq1qicfexo2_r1_540.gif

All in all, I enjoyed both quite a bit, though I believe I preferred watching Gene Kelly, Debbie Reynolds and Donald O'Connor do their thing in Singin' in the Rain.

Anyone have thoughts on either of these films?

I'd ask @europe1 to join us, but he hates American classics and only watches older films from his own country.

I never did see Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Now Singin' in the Rain, that's a great movie. My favorite musical, and one of my favorite films. I love the Make 'em Laugh musical number.

Last edited:
I never did see Breakfast at Tiffany's.

You should give it a look. It's a nice little story, though of the Audrey films that I saw recently I may prefer Roman Holiday. Not sure yet. It will require some more thought.

Now Singin' in the Rain, that's a great movie. My favorite musical, and one of the favorite films. I love the Make 'em Laugh musical number.

I certainly enjoyed it more than I was expecting to. I went into it knowing nothing more than it was a musical. I had no idea about the plot, but I was pleasantly surprised by this interesting tale of silent film actors trying to adjust to the age of talkies.

@europe1 is also the guy who worships documentaries for anyone unfamiliar with his tastes.

That's true. And he hates the movie Shane.

I don't really get it about Shane. I thought that was a pretty decent flick, but he said it was one of the worst Westerns he had ever seen. I believe his exact words were, "If it wasn't made in Italy, then it don't mean diddly."

I don't really get it about Shane. I thought that was a pretty decent flick, but he said it was one of the worst Westerns he had ever seen. I believe his exact words were, "If it wasn't made in Italy, then it don't mean diddly."

Truer words have rarely been tweeted.

<TheDonald>

I'd ask @europe1 to join us, but he hates American classics and only watches older films from his own country.

We produced The Ninja Mission. Your country didn't. We win by default.

MV5BODc3NmU2ZWUtNWYyMy00NzYxLThiMGYtMjFmMzY0YTdmM2FmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1278,1000_AL_.jpg

I'm on another push to get caught up with some classic films that I never got around to, so in the past few days I watched Breakfast at Tiffany's and Singin' in the Rain.

I've seen both films but it was a long time ago.

Breakfast at Tiffany's I barely remember the plot of. I remember thinking it was just mediocre. The film -- and Audrey Hepburn -- is just to damn soft and plummy for my tastes.

And then there's the Mr Yunioshi stuff. I always wanted a sequel where it turns out that Mr Yunoishi is actually Fu Manchu.

Gene Kelly's famous dance scene from the film in context.

Singing in the Rain was a real carousel ride though. Undoubtedly Gene Kelly's best film alongside The Pirate (and Inherit the Wind I suppose but he isn't a main character there). I always thought he had the capacity of being a marvelous physical actor when the film allowed him to be.

I was a bit surprised by how explicitly it dealt with some of the adult themes, considering when it was made, but I guess the 60s is really when we began to see that shift in Hollywood films.

Yeah, with the fall of the Hays code, the liberalisation of society, and the decline of the studio system that stuff became more and more acceptable in Hollywood. It had started creeping in during the 50's (ex: the splendid A Streetcar Named Desire), but during the 60's is really became acceptable -- especially for women -- to assume more "adult" subjects.

I went into it knowing nothing more than it was a musical. I had no idea about the plot, but I was pleasantly surprised by this interesting tale of silent film actors trying to adjust to the age of talkies.

The Artist did that same premise, which I think is one of the top 10 films of the last 10 years.

That's either a gross mischaracterization or brilliant satire.

@europe1 is also the guy who worships documentaries for anyone unfamiliar with his tastes.

tenor.gif

This seems like the perfect time to point out that there is an Italian Spaghetti Western called Son of Shane.

No, I am not bullshiting you here. (though it's American release title was I'll Sell My Skin Dearly)

It doesn't have anything to do with Shane btw. The producers just released it as Son of Shane in some areas so to boost sales (because apperently copyright laws don't exist in Italy). But hey, they fooled me! Pretty good flick btw.

I was going to make a joke about prefeering the Italian version of Shane over the American one but... but I just can't do it. I can't damit I can't!!!

af727d2199614379a3e6f3ddf61981245cb74160.jpg

italian_1p_ill_sell_my_skin_dearly_MF01204_L.jpg

We produced The Ninja Mission. Your country didn't. We win by default.

MV5BODc3NmU2ZWUtNWYyMy00NzYxLThiMGYtMjFmMzY0YTdmM2FmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1278,1000_AL_.jpg

Fair enough. I can accept that.

I've seen both films but it was a long time ago.

Breakfast at Tiffany's I barely remember the plot of. I remember thinking it was just mediocre. The film -- and Audrey Hepburn -- is just to damn soft and plummy for my tastes.

Are there any movies with Audrey Hepburn that you like?

And then there's the Mr Yunioshi stuff. I always wanted a sequel where it turns out that Mr Yunoishi is actually Fu Manchu.

I could get on board with that.

The Artist did that same premise, which I think is one of the top 10 films of the last 10 years.

I still have not seen this one and have heard mixed things about. I remember my dad was wondering why in the hell someone was making an essentially silent film in 2011. It sounds like you recommend it though.

That's either a gross mischaracterization or brilliant satire.

If I remember correctly you said that America had produced not even one good movie before 1970.

If I remember correctly you said that America had produced not even one good movie before 1970

That must have been my evil double, europe2.

Nah, I would never have said that. Its an absolutely absurd statement since the US has produced the most great movies in the world, pre-70's or after 70's. Hey have I told you that I really, really like Shane?

Are there any movies with Audrey Hepburn that you like

She doesn't tend to star in the kinds of movies I watch.

Depends on what you mean by like. I like Roman Holiday. I just don't consider it great or very good.

My system is:

Like/good - 6/10
Very good - 7/10
Great - 8/10

That must have been my evil double, europe2.

Nah, I would never have said that. Its an absolutely absurd statement since the US has produced the most great movies in the world, pre-70's or after 70's. Hey have I told you that I really, really like Shane?

Glad to see you're walking it back. . .

Breakfast at Tiffany’s is good.

Singin’ in the Rain is next level terrific. Absolute classic.

Singin' in the Rain is fantastic. That last or 2nd to last musical number was great but lasted for what felt like an eternity. Whenever I hear the song Singin' in the Rain I think more of A Clockwork Orange than I do the actual movie Singin' in the Rain, which is kind of odd.

Never watched Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Last edited:
Whenever I hear the song Singin' in the Rain I think more of A Clockwork Orange than I do the actual movie SIngin' in the Rain, which is kind of odd.

Whenever I see/hear "Breakfast At Tiffany's", I spend about a week trying to get

out of my head

Donald O'Connor is such a beast in Singin' in the Rain. He had the best number. I enjoyed his dancing more than Gene Kelly.

As for Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's. I don't think she looked any better than she did in that movie. She was smoking hot.

Last edited:
Donald O'Connor is such a beast in Singin' in the Rain. He had the best number. I enjoyed his dancing more than Gene Kelly.

As for Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's. I don't think she looked any better than she did in that movie. She was smoking hot.

Absolute beast mode. And not only was he great with the dancing and physical comedy but he was also just damn fun and hilarious throughout. Always loved the moment when he thinks RF sold Kathy out where he angrily says "Simpson, I once gave you a cigar, could I have it back?"

Got to give a lot of props to Hagen too. Really funny.

Gene Kelly and Reynolds were terrific as well. Could very well be the best film of that genre.

Singin' in the Rain is fantastic. That last or 2nd to last musical number was great but lasted for what felt like an eternity. Whenever I hear the song Singin' in the Rain I think more of A Clockwork Orange than I do the actual movie Singin' in the Rain, which is kind of odd.

Never watched Breakfast at Tiffany's.

haha interestingly that Broadway Rhythm sequence used to be the only part that lost me as a kid just cause it goes on forever and has nothing to do with the main plot. Now, I think it's friggin awesome and appreciate it for both the visual look and the talent of Kelly and Charisse. Great sequence.

As a kid I also couldn't wrap my head about when RF is like "I can't quite picture it," right after that long sequence. It legitimately annoyed me that they would have that vivid sequence and then RF would express lukewarm interest in the idea.

Once I got older I appreciated that that was entirely the point/joke, but back then

tenor.gif

Audrey Hepburn wad the perfect woman.

For being an old film, I still find this craning shot and the set design pieces to look pretty cool. I timestamped the video.

I can't find the shot where it cranes back out, but it looks pretty good too. Fun and entertaining movie, and still has a great look to it.

As for Breakfast at Tiffany's, I think I remember the film, and as I recall, I think I kinda liked it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back