Brazilian Jiu Jitsu gyms in Japan

ChrmnMa0

Black Belch
@Blue
Reaction score
Hey, my friend is leaving tomorrow for Japan for a few weeks and looking for some places to train while over there. He will be in Osaka, Tokyo, and then even going to Guam. Any recommendations?

A team mate traveled to Japan. Trained at Triforce in Tokyo. He loved it.

Beware, there is guy here who trains in Tokyo and loves some knee reaping and heelhook. :D

Beware, there is guy here who trains in Tokyo and loves some knee reaping and heelhook. :D

I know not of who you speak of.

In Tokyo, Axis Jiu Jitsu and Triforce are foreigner friendly.

There's this whole "modern/MMA jiu-jitsu" in Japan and it's basically Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (with extra emphasis on leg locks)

I think pretty much all gyms in Japan are good (at least in big cities). Maybe just check who they're affiliated with. And there's a Paraestra gym in pretty much every city.

Oh and if he comes to Kyoto tell him to come to Miburo and say hello!

There are quite a few gyms in Guam too. Budovideos did an episode of Rolled Up on Guam, check that out for an idea of where to train.

Does ur friend wanna just do bjj or mma training as well?

Tokyo I train at Tri force Ikebukuro.
Tri force has numerous other branches in aoyama, gotanda and shinjuku.
Paraestera also have numerous branches in Tokyo.

Lotsa visitors come through tri force and parsestra I can personally vouch for tri force being foreigner friendly and also have only heard good things about people training at paraestra as well.

I've heard Wednesday afternoon is open mat to all clubs and free at paraestra. Apparently lots of BB from all diff clubs in Tokyo will be there. Email paraestra for more info, google there site.

I believe axis is in Yokohama not Tokyo, (could be wrong but 90% sure). Yokohama is fast and cheap from Tokyo don't know where in Yoko it is tho.

We roll black/brown belt gi rules (no heel hooks) haven't had any issues with people over cranking leg locks as long as you know how to tap.
Tri force links

JIU-JITSU GYM | TRI-FORCE BJJ ACADEMY TOKYO JAPAN

BRAZILIAN JIU-JITSU GYM TRI-FORCE AOYAMA Minato-ku, Tokyo

Next time i go to Japan i will definitely train with Tri-Force (fan of Koji Shibamoto)

Axis's main branch is in Tokyo. Between Shinjuku and Shibuya on the Keio line.

The instructors are usually fluent in English/Portuguese/Japaneseat the main branch.

i have just found that Akiyama closed his gym, Cloud Gym.
i don't understand why, it was a great gym and he closed it after only one year and a half.

The Japanese are known for being xenophobes.

Yes, but that's a HUGE oversimplification. If you go to a BJJ gym in Japan I can not imagine anyplace you wouldn't be welcome.

When I say foreigner friendly I'm mostly thinking there's a staff member who's fluent in English.

It also means the school won't freak out when they see a gaijin who may be large.

Back