Brazilian Jiu Jitsu gyms in Japan

Jujitsu period is hard to find there. Lived there for a year and did all my training with the Guardian Angels.

Anyone ever train with or know anyone who trained with Tatsuya Onose? Redips gym?

Is Axis still under the Rickson banner?

Yea last year when rickson did a seminar it was only for axis bjj members.

Jujitsu period is hard to find there. Lived there for a year and did all my training with the Guardian Angels.

In any of the major cities it's easy to find. I know in the sticks it's pretty near impossible. TS stated Osaka and Tokyo where you can find BJJ everywhere.

In any of the major cities it's easy to find. I know in the sticks it's pretty near impossible. TS stated Osaka and Tokyo where you can find BJJ everywhere.

Even here in Kyoto, which is a pretty major city, there's only one central gym. It surprised me when I first looked for a place to train, given the popularity of MMA on tv a couple years back. But I guess here MMA is seen more like a pro sport, it never became mainstream like in the US.

damn, the manga lied to me. i thought there were gyms all over filled with All Rounder Megurus

Go train at the Kodokan Judo. And ask for Koji Komuro, the newaza expert. :)

Even here in Kyoto, which is a pretty major city, there's only one central gym. It surprised me when I first looked for a place to train, given the popularity of MMA on tv a couple years back. But I guess here MMA is seen more like a pro sport, it never became mainstream like in the US.

My statement was more aimed at BJJ rather than MMA, and yea I totally agree with MMA being more of a pro sport rather than a mainstream sport for people just doing it for fun. But that seems true for most hobbies here in Japan in my experience.

I'm curious, what does it mean to be non-foreigner friendly?

I've never had any problems training in Japan; the clubs I've trained have all been sound.
The "non foreigner-friendly" issue can arise from the language barrier.

I've trained at Axis in the past and the instructor, Taka Watanabe, is a cool guy who runs the class in 3 languages.
When I was there, occasionally some others ran the class, but not often.

The students' English ability varies from great to non-existent, but if you try a bit of Japanese, even a very basic phrases, it relaxes them.
Saying that though, the common interest in BJJ bridged the language gap.

Just passing here to say that I went to Tokyo for one month this year and trained in AXIS Jiu Jitsu Academy and it was great!

Master Takamasa is great, his techiques are awsome, always teaching some self defense. His ability to comunicate and teach classes in diferent languages is amazing. Facilities are very nice too. The price is not cheep, everything is in their website.

A lot of foreingers and nice japanese guys there! All the staff speaks english and some of them portuguese.

Before to go, I have searched in internet and found this topic, and it helped me a lot. So I came here to say that to help others too.

Back