"Boxing is Dead/Dying"

ArtemV

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
How did this stupid assumption ever come to life?

and why do some MMA/UFC say it?

Sure, it is hard to get any stars like Ali, Jones, Marciano, Tyson etc.

But, is boxing really dying?

boxing is doing just fine imo, there are a lot of great up and comers/amateur boxers transitioning to pro - like Lomachenko.

It came from insecure mma fans mostly.

Its funny though. The ufc wont hesitate to jump on boxings co tails to give them a better platform to sell their sloppy carnival fights.

But than the will turn around and say its dying

Is normal

canelo vs GGG is going to be a huge event

canelo-vs-golovkin-tickets_09-16-17_17_595eed44bd7a8.jpg

It's just a phase young, naive UFC only fans go through when they see their first few UFC cards after graduating from watching WWE. Most grow out of it and some stay foolish forever.

How did this stupid assumption ever come to life?

and why do some MMA/UFC say it?

Sure, it is hard to get any stars like Ali, Jones, Marciano, Tyson etc.

But, is boxing really dying?

boxing is doing just fine imo, there are a lot of great up and comers/amateur boxers transitioning to pro - like Lomachenko.
Boxing has highs and lows like every other thing with fans has. There's always a period when the superstars retire and it seems like there are no more stars to be had.

It came from insecure mma fans mostly.

Its funny though. The ufc wont hesitate to jump on boxings co tails to give them a better platform to sell their sloppy carnival fights.

But than the will turn around and say its dying

Is normal

Delusional.

MMA is far closer to real fighting than Boxing....put it this way if 10 of the best boxers were matched up with 10 of the best MMA fighters in a street fight.

MMA 10 Boxing 0

And its not in regard to anything but facts when people say Boxing is dead....I honestly have no clue how money flows into the sport anymore as the PPV sales without Floyd involved are typically terrible, seats are usually empty and all the events and they pay actors to come to the events to give it attention etc.

I really would like to see how the revenue is generated in boxing....because MMA popularity eclipses it now and yet the fighters in general make far less.

I feel like when you see this it's always said inside the USA. A fight Sold 90,000 tickets this year in the U.K. And another one 35,000 if I remember correctly. Joseph Parker looked like he filled an arena in New Zealand. Canelo's one of the most famous people in Mexico at the moment. On a worldwide level I feel like boxing is doing pretty good

This is probably the best year of fights in boxing history.

Everyone saying that boxing is dead or dying is a fucking moron, and likely an MMA fan with blinders on.

....because MMA popularity eclipses it now

Says who, you?

Where are the stats to prove this? Affliction shirts worn by fans everywhere? What's the margin of tickets sales and fighter purses on both sports when well-known fighters are headlining both events?

Delusional.

MMA is far closer to real fighting than Boxing....put it this way if 10 of the best boxers were matched up with 10 of the best MMA fighters in a street fight.

MMA 10 Boxing 0

And its not in regard to anything but facts when people say Boxing is dead....I honestly have no clue how money flows into the sport anymore as the PPV sales without Floyd involved are typically terrible, seats are usually empty and all the events and they pay actors to come to the events to give it attention etc.

I really would like to see how the revenue is generated in boxing....because MMA popularity eclipses it now and yet the fighters in general make far less.
Im confused as to why people keep saying mma is real fighting.

All street fights start standing up, most of them end in 20 secs standing up due to punches....

Shooting for a takedown is usually kinda ridiculous and if you do your opponents friends usually jump in with biting,gouging, stomps, kicks etc all being thrown in while your doing gnp or trying a sub

Mma is no less of real fighting than boxing is

And all that other bullshit you spewed about mma being more popular....is just that bullshit.

All street fights start standing up, most of them end in 20 secs standing up due to punches....

Shooting for a takedown is usually kinda ridiculous and if you do your opponents friends usually jump in with biting,gouging, stomps, kicks etc all being thrown in while your doing gnp or trying a sub

And all that other bullshit you spewed about mma being more popular....is just that bullshit.
Exactly; if it were real fighting, there would be no cup protection; weapons allowed; multiple opponents against one/two people; groin shots are legal; eye gouging; headbutts etc.

Boxing is a more refined style of one on one fighting.

Your arguments have some reasoning but not much...
  • Most street fights are made up of egotistical dumb fucks that have zero fighting skill and its all about impressing those around them filling their BS front etc, they end quickly because of the lack of skill, size difference of those involved etc.
  • Boxers do have an advantage vs the average joe due to their skill set....but then so does every combat art out there over that joe.
  • I agree going for a TD is a bad idea in a street fight where you do not have numbers with you and the other does....but in a 1v1 deal...the MMA fighter would maul the Boxer in a street fight situation and not just because of a TD...the MMA fighter is more well rounded on the feet and will kick, knee, elbow etc.
  • Throwing kicks at a boxer will completely leave them bewildered and not knowing wtf to do once those legs get hit a few times and they are off balance game over.
We have seen time and time again via MMA fights and videos that the boxer loses 99/100 in a close to real fight situation...sorry but that is a fact.

BTW not stating boxers are not warriors in fact most boxers have crazy amount of heart and some of the best combat fights I have ever wtinessed have come from boxing....my favorites being the Gotti vs Ward fights....which were fucking insane on every level and I doubt I have witnessed anything like it since....

But those days of Boxing have long since passed...unfortunately....but in MMA they seem to be around and strong...maybe its due to not having 10000 belts and 1000 champions, maybe its due to having cards more often idk....but people talk about MMA everywhere...and rarely anyone knows about boxing theses days....the views on TV and PPV's really say it all.

I think ironically the Floyd PAC debacle and backlash was the kick in the ass boxing needed. The sport realized that all the games played to get the best paychecks for the least risk wasn't going to work anymore and they actually had to give to fans good fights again.

When TS says no one is talking about boxing, he means middle class white people in america. Boxing has always been strong with low income minorities, hence almost every top level boxer from america comes from low class minority communities.

Boxing is fine. Why do I even need to say this?

Not sure how closely you follow boxing TS, but there was actually a ppv boxing event last night. I think it got good coverage idk.

I would rather watch two people compete at something their both really good at than two people who are mediocre at everything. I don't care about so called real fighting. These are competitive sports.

I was an MMA fan for years but now it feels like a competition to see who can press the other one against the side of the cage and most people have bad striking.

I enjoy boxing way more now and it's just people who don't watch the sport that assume it's dying.

@ChangeIsComing

ironically, you seem to be unaware that mma is experiencing a golden age, and that change is coming. mma/ufc will experience lows and highs just like boxing. boxing won't die, and neither will mma. actually, if the greatest mma champs (jones, silva, to name a couple) keep getting caught for PEDs and almost kill their opponents (dc/jones 2 was brutal...), we might start seeing a lot more tyrone woodley than conor mac.

I'm a fight fan, was a boxing fan first. actually, WWF/WWE first growing up, but now I thoroughly enjoy MMA. went to anaheim for the show, that was epic, but goddammit, I hope for your sake and all UFC/MMA fans that the b's come negative though apparently that is very slim. and it's funny - you think that boxers don't have some dirty ass street fight tricks up their sleeves. 10/10 my ass, because that's straight stupid talk.

@City_Lights

this is one big problem with MMA. Now that it's literally all out there, it's going to be tough to get Anderson Silva/Demetrius Johnson reigns because everyone is getting so goddamn good the different aspects of fighting. It's hard to be extremely well rounded to negate other's strengths.

Unless you're a physical freak like Jon Bones Jones. And I hope to god I'm wrong, but dammit man why the hell does someone as confident and well rounded as Jones, regarded as the p4p goat, have to take peds? MMA is fun, but if you ever want longevity in the sport, you're going to have to do something like Tyrone Woodley in this age of MMA.

and lastly - Boxing is not dead, but man, the talent and level of boxing at the top today is not at an all time high. Definitely, something was lost in terms of the technicality of boxing from its most recent golden age. Don't know what's up, but the level these days is just not technically there. There are few boxing matches that I'm very interested in watching. Kov/Ward 1+2 were great, and I'm hoping GGG/Canelo is also at that level.

Last night's spectacle was fun to watch, but that was nowhere near the high level of boxing I'm talking about. Even Floyd, I have no idea what the hell he was trying to do. Maybe he was trying to end on a high note, that he did as he said he would do in terms of walking forward and taking shots. He got the job done, but it wasn't a great fight.

Back