• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Boxers Running With BOOTS on what is the purpose?

DynamoGT

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I notice floyd mayweather sr still uses this old school routine of making the fighter run with heavy military boots. I saw him make ricky hatton run with boots at first i thought he just did it as some form of hazing because he was his new student.

I know ali, sugar ray robinson and other olden time fighters would run with boots on.

what was the purpose of this? my friend told me its to make you lighter on your toes i find that hard to believe.

075750278.jpg

Hmmm?, no idea on that one.

I'm not sure many boxers wear them now, I can't think of anyone else I've seen do that.

Footwork. Running with extra weight will give you added spring when you're only wearing boxing boots and I imagine the extra strain would improve cardio too.

Looks obvious to me.

My guess since the boots are heavier maybe it makes their leg muscles stronger or something.Also it maybe helps in movin quicker on the feet when the boots are off,similar as fighters train with 16/18 oz gloves and fight with 10/12

Footwork. Running with extra weight will give you added spring when you're only wearing boxing boots and I imagine the extra strain would improve cardio too.

Looks obvious to me.

I'm not saying you're wrong but surely this is very old school thinking, there must be newer more scientific training methods to creating a spring in a step. Don't remember seeing Pacman doing roadwork with shoes on.

The days of running in Combat Boots had more to do with the vast difference in selection between shoes then, and shoes now. Back then Combat Boots were one of the better selection in-terms of shoes durable enough to sustain long distance runs/jogs, without needing to be replaced. Nowadays it's more tradition than anything else.

The days of running in Combat Boots had more to do with the vast difference in selection between shoes then, and shoes now. Back then Combat Boots were one of the better selection in-terms of shoes durable enough to sustain long distance runs/jogs, without needing to be replaced. Nowadays it's more tradition than anything else.

Do you hear about guys who train at top rank doing this (running in shoes)?, or is it quite uncommon these days?.
I just figured that such an old school practice like that would have been left in the 20th century.

The only one I've seen for sure is Ak Laleye, homie from Contender 4. He runs in Combat Boots.

And I'm not sure about things being left in the 20th Century, Sam Peter started Boxing bareknuckle and barefooted in Nigeria.

so basically floyd sr was making hatton run in boots to get a rise outta him, cause i notice floyd sr was following hatton in a bmw and laughing everytime.:icon_lol:

or is floyd sr one of those trainers that believes in old school methods rather then new school and he actually believes the heavy boots will help him? i remember running in boots for my highschool rotc course and i had blisters and corns after month 3 it was painful.

floyd made his son and oscar chop wood in big bear whenever Sr was cold.

so basically floyd sr was making hatton run in boots to get a rise outta him, cause i notice floyd sr was following hatton in a bmw and laughing everytime.

or is floyd sr one of those trainers that believes in old school methods rather then new school and he actually believes the heavy boots will help him? i remember running in boots for my highschool rotc course and i had blisters and corns after month 3 it was painful.

Floyd actually basically re-built Hatton. Everything from sparring, to fitness workouts. Running long distances at high elevation, A LOT more sparring as opposed to that giant body-bag Graham used to wear. Focusing more on footwork, head-movement, and hand-eye coordination, and even down to the removal of weight lifting.

Everything Floyd does as a trainer usually has a purpose, even if only for motivation. I think he was just trying to get Hatton back to the roots of Boxing.

Floyd actually basically re-built Hatton. Everything from sparring, to fitness workouts. Running long distances at high elevation, A LOT more sparring as opposed to that giant body-bag Graham used to wear. Focusing more on footwork, head-movement, and hand-eye coordination, and even down to the removal of weight lifting.

Everything Floyd does as a trainer usually has a purpose, even if only for motivation. I think he was just trying to get Hatton back to the roots of Boxing.

question, was graham a bad trainer; i know hatton looked better than he has in years, and tech looked alot better than ever. But nonetheless, hatton did have alot of success during his time w/graham against some pretty tough comp, oliveira-tzyu-castillo-urango-maussa- mike stewart-vilches-hutchinson.

so was graham that bad a trainer or had he taken ricky as far as he could go, secondly; did rickys lack of discipline cost him in regards to past performances, he is not known to keep his weight down or live clean in between

would love your opinion

also how do i clear out my pm box, i tried to delete messages; but it won't clear and i can't send any until i clear it

The board is jacked up, and despite many pleas from the staff, the tech team just seems to not do much about it.

Anywho, I don't think Graham was a bad trainer per se, but Ricky had hit the glass ceiling with the style he was using. He's always said he's capable of more than organized brawling, but with not so good showings against Urango, Collazo, then getting starched by Floyd Jr., it seemed he'd peaked completely and either would have to do something different, or stick to being the top mauler at 140 until his body gave out.

running for boots makes my feet lighter feeling for sure

but the only reason im running in boots in the first place is because if i wear running shoes ill slip on the ice outside due to the fact that i live in finland.

so would you pick hatton over pacquiao?

No, I think that fight's 50/50.

No, I think that fight's 50/50.

you think sin?...i see a flattened hatton here.
and you as most regs now i said this before the d.diaz fight.

i just think hatton runs in to the left all night long.

though i will say this will be the first time in awhile where someone will be going after manny rather than trying to outbox him. eventhough ricky is a true 140 i just think the speed of pacman will be too much.

Pac has a lot of speed, that's true. But the way Marquez always slows him down is with body-punching. And if Ricky's improved head-movement in a relatively short camp with Floyd Sr. befuddled the jab of Malignaggi, I don't think the left of Pac will be a huge problem. His right-hand improvement, though, might be. I'd bank on Roach investing more in the Southpaw right-hook than the straight left.

But Floyd's a good strategist himself with regard to approaching a Fight, and hand-speed is something he's well-accustomed to showing the in's and out's of. In the end I think it'll be very competitive.

I'm in the corp we do runs with boots.Gives you shin splints like a motherfuck.i never noticed anything positive about it.

Back