Boxer w/o Amatuer background be successful?

I was always under the impression that most Mexican fighters had little to no amateur background. I'm pretty sure JMM and Chavez Sr only had limited amateur careers along with alot of other Mexicans. It's obviously better to get experience but there's definitely an amateur "style" that can be detrimental if you rely on certain aspects of boxing that the judging systems tend to award.

that's true, but you also can start fresh without being a total beginner, just look at how many of those guys lost fights to nobodies, I think even Alexis Arguello lost his first fight. That must feel terrible giving those guys bragging rights for the rest of their lives when they weren't any good. Being a total beginner in the pros is not usually an asset. God forbid if you happen to have phenomenal gifts like a Liston or a Pac, not being taught alot of basics before a certain age guarantees that they'll never be learnt. Liston never had the slightest fucking clue of how to cut off a ring, now for most of the guys he fought it didn't matter but for a fighter of that level to not know something like that is inexcusable.

I was always under the impression that most Mexican fighters had little to no amateur background. I'm pretty sure JMM and Chavez Sr only had limited amateur careers along with alot of other Mexicans. It's obviously better to get experience but there's definitely an amateur "style" that can be detrimental if you rely on certain aspects of boxing that the judging systems tend to award.

Yeah but the Mexican Boxers aren't going in inexperienced because they start young and go Pro in the same years that someone else will be doing the ammies

True, I can't imagine going into a pro fight not w/o any standard knowledge of how to do things like cutting off the ring like Moz said. Usually that's when alot of losses come too, when a 16 y/o kid in his pro debut is fighting some durable journeyman type who's 30 with dozens of fights under his belt. Recipe for disaster imo, but some guys get away with it.

Even JCCJR said in one of his interviews that if he could go back and do it again, he would've had an amateur career first so he didn't have to learn on the fly as much as he did.

well vazquez jr has 23 fights, thats it and he held a title, and tonight beated jonathan oquendo who has over 60 am fights...

well vazquez jr has 23 fights, thats it and he held a title, and tonight beated jonathan oquendo who has over 60 am fights...

Obviously there are always exceptions. Exceptions are not the rule though.
The percentage of successful boxers without any am experience has to be less then 1%.

The percentage of successful boxers without any am experience has to be less then 1%.

i agree 100% with you....if he has a am background he would be alot better,,,,

like chris rock once said about a kid being raised without a father. "you can drive a car with you're feet that don't make it a good fucking idea"

honest truth it's just that here in Canada i've seen a lot of amatuer fights and it's like shit seems like anyone who is aggressive and just throws punches has a high chance of winning. there is little to no technique at all. if there is, the boxers just throw a bunch of fast punches with NO power just to land a few points.

than ill go watch some pro boxing, the tempo, technique, everything is completely different.

that's why i came to the conclusion if you have solid sparring partners even with some pros and can hold your own sparring against pros, you may have a chance at succeeding with a pro boxing career. i've seen some sparring in gyms that prepped boxers better than amatuer competition. the only way amatuer helped these boxers are probably pyschologically dealing with a crowd and stuff.

less then 1%, i have to disagree. they may have been boxers with solid pro records that we havent heard of yet.

honest truth it's just that here in Canada i've seen a lot of amatuer fights and it's like shit seems like anyone who is aggressive and just throws punches has a high chance of winning. there is little to no technique at all. if there is, the boxers just throw a bunch of fast punches with NO power just to land a few points.

than ill go watch some pro boxing, the tempo, technique, everything is completely different.

that's why i came to the conclusion if you have solid sparring partners even with some pros and can hold your own sparring against pros, you may have a chance at succeeding with a pro boxing career. i've seen some sparring in gyms that prepped boxers better than amatuer competition. the only way amatuer helped these boxers are probably pyschologically dealing with a crowd and stuff.

if you can at all help it, go ammie first, sometimes it's not possible or just not sensible but that is the better road to take in most cases.

Vasquez Jr and Chavez Jr won titles wit no Tammy b/g

Lots of guys have done pretty well with little or no amateur experience, though it usually shows in their biggest fights.

Kermit Cintron is a good example of this. A guy who beat lots of solid guys but failed miserably against the best guys he fought. He never really had to dig down deep until he was already an established pro.

Lots of guys have done pretty well with little or no amateur experience, though it usually shows in their biggest fights.

Kermit Cintron is a good example of this. A guy who beat lots of solid guys but failed miserably against the best guys he fought. He never really had to dig down deep until he was already an established pro.

Agree....

Plus alot or pros get by on athleticism or toughness; when they get to the elite level where shit evens out, then it comes down to experience...familiarity with styles and skill. All things you develop in amateur competition.

i just ready manny had a 60-4 record as an ammy, don't know how to verify that.

Both Tommy Hearns and Michael Moorer had very few knockouts as amateurs.

Would saying hispanic boxers are more accustomed to shorter amateur careers, be broadly accurate?

Would saying hispanic boxers are more accustomed to shorter amateur careers, be broadly accurate?

I think so, probably just because they need money more, but like I say those losses are there forever. Duran had a brief ammie career of 12-4. In his own words he was horrible as a beginner. As a pro he only lost 1 fight up until no mas.

Boxers with no or a small amount of amateur experience are almost interchangeable with boxers who start late. Go through the usual list of boxers who started late and you find boxers with short amateur careers. Usually we have, Rocky Marcianno, George Foreman, Ernie Shavers,, Sergio Martinez, Bernard Hopkins, Mexico, Martin Rogan, Willie Casey, Deontay Wilder, Seth Mitchell, Poonsawat Kratingdaenggym. That's what I can think of off hand. Then we have all of our olympic and amateur boxers with short amateur careers such as Anthony Joshua. Actually, pretty sure Tyson had a pretty short amateur career too.

Last edited:
Can an Boxer without an amatuer boxing background going professional right away be sucessfull? i know Chavez Jr did, but hes an exception since his success was pretty much handed to him.

So would it be possible? I see amatuer boxing fights and pro boxing fights are completely different. amatuer boxing is 90% all rushing in and throwing with little techniques while pro boxing is more technique orientated. i have to say from what i've seen it seems amatuer boxing does little to prepare a boxer for professional boxing.

Chavez Sr.

Back