• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Boxer w/o Amatuer background be successful?

Pacquiao

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Can an Boxer without an amatuer boxing background going professional right away be sucessfull? i know Chavez Jr did, but hes an exception since his success was pretty much handed to him.

So would it be possible? I see amatuer boxing fights and pro boxing fights are completely different. amatuer boxing is 90% all rushing in and throwing with little techniques while pro boxing is more technique orientated. i have to say from what i've seen it seems amatuer boxing does little to prepare a boxer for professional boxing.

Chavez is a good fighter. He had it easy early on, but he's a legit top ten MW. So that's your answer. He started at like 15 or 16 and fought 40 fights over ten years before doing anything though.

I would say it's extremely hard to near impossible.

is there any current champs right now that had no amatuer background?

is there any current champs right now that had no amatuer background?

I would say no, but as hardcore of a fan as I am, stats like that are not really something I pay attention to.

Amateur boxing does plenty to prepare a fighter for a pro career. It gives them something that can't be acquired in the gym, ring experience. It is possible to have a successful pro career without one though but most of the time they take some poundings in their early fights.

ammies have changed so much in the last 30 years it doesn't provide the foundation it used to. Even then there was overemphasis on points, jabs etc.., anyway, can it be done? depends on your talent, work ethic, management, training, the field. People wanted me to go pro when i had no ammie background to speak of, I never did because I always could remember even talented boxers not being able to get anywhere. Good fighters have though, either with very little or no amateur background. Sonny Liston had very few ammie fights, Dwight Muhammad Qawi had none. It's not a good idea but it can be done. Pros try to hurt you, that's the biggest difference in the divisions, lots of good or great amateurs couldn't even get past hard assed clubfighters. I imagine in the earlier eras amateur careers were not even necessary but it's where you get your legs so to speak today.

Theres a difference between pro and amateur but anybody who says amateur is a game of tag doesnt know what they are talking about. Outside the scoring criteria, the rules are stricter on fundamentals

That said, top amateurs are usually successful in pros, by success I mean a positive record and occasional big fights.

I know some good boxers who were shit amateurs. I think Lucian Bute was like 2-16, and Monte Barrett had a shit record too I think.

there is a difference today, although points were always more important, even before they would always say "a jab is equal to a knockdown" but it's just gotten worse. Here in this interview at about the 5:45 mark mark breland talks about how it's changed: http://youtu.be/XhvhG_jezog. Mark incidentally never became a great pro for many reasons, I don't think he was hungry enough, he had the wrong build for the physicality and stamina demand either. He was still a good fighter and won some championships but never what he could have been. It's a different game, he kayoed a phenomenal amount of boys (this is the thing, they are boys not men) in the amateurs and that power didn't really translate the same into the pros. I recall when I was a kid, looking at the bodies of the kids our age and the bodies of men 8 years older who weighed the same, no comparison, not even good fighters but just matured and denser and more physical and tough.

How bout the Champion Fighting right now. Wilfredo Vazquez JR. He has NO am background

Edit. Not a champion but if he wins he will be the WBO Champ.

Most Mexican fighters do not have much amateur background, Saul Alvarez only fought 20 amatuer bouts.

ya, did pac have any ammie background? if he did it was likely paltry

yeah i just realized. did pacman have any amatuer fights? i tried youtubing it before, nothing showed up. i figured there would be some footage since it showed his two losts in filipines on youtube as well.

Ah, okay.

Yeah, that's about the story with Andrade.

So basically you gotta be the son of an elite Boxer lol

Its different when you go immediately pro at 16

so...

/not thread

there's a big downside to that too, in the pros where a defeat can be a big deal when it's best to be billed as "undefeated" as long as possible. Pac basically tanked it in an early fight and lost another before anyone really heard of him. not that that's bad in and of itself, but from a marketing perspective it doesn't help. Amateurs are for learning the bulk of the basics and it's needed. Duran had an ammie career and in his words "i was terrible in those days" but it gave him time to learn so that he was a monster when he turned pro. No one starts out good, no one. Some guys if they are matched right and have natural ability like lots of power or something can skip things but in the long run it hurts them. To this day Pac is a very incomplete fighter who has relied on phenomenal physical gifts rather than well rounded ability. at this stage fighters don't change much so it's too late but there are a million things he should have been learning instead of making money when he was 16, that's all easy for me to say of course when he was doing it to survive.

I was always under the impression that most Mexican fighters had little to no amateur background. I'm pretty sure JMM and Chavez Sr only had limited amateur careers along with alot of other Mexicans. It's obviously better to get experience but there's definitely an amateur "style" that can be detrimental if you rely on certain aspects of boxing that the judging systems tend to award.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arsalaanx
Back