Boxer w/o Amatuer background be successful?

Boxers with no or a small amount of amateur experience are almost interchangeable with boxers who start late. Go through the usual list of boxers who started late and you find boxers with short amateur careers. Usually we have, Rocky Marcianno, George Foreman, Ernie Shavers,, Sergio Martinez, Bernard Hopkins, Mexico, Martin Rogan, Willie Casey, Deontay Wilder, Seth Mitchell, Poonsawat Kratingdaenggym. That's what I can think of off hand. Then we have all of our olympic and amateur boxers with short amateur careers such as Anthony Joshua. Actually, pretty sure Tyson had a pretty short amateur career too.

Glen Johnson too, think he was like 20 when he started. I think Tony Thompson only started boxing at 27 or something crazy like that. It's funny b/c in the Sweet Science, Liebling was saying that Tony Canzoneri told him that he started boxing when he was about 7 or 8 y/o and that he regretted not starting even younger, lol. It's odd since guys like BHop and Sergio started around 20 and Tony was saying that he shoud've started at 5.

Obviously, I think starting when you're a kid is much better than waiting until you're older b/c you can get the technique and coordination down at a young age. That being said, someone who's been fighting since they were 8 won't last as long in their career as a guy who started at say 18. So many extra amateur fights and the toll on the body will wear those guys out faster. It makes sense too, considering most of the guys who started late, were able to fight until they were way older than most other fighters. Glen, BHop, Big George with his comeback, etc.

Its different when you go immediately pro at 16

so...

/not thread

I would like you to explain how thats different, those are guys than jumped pro with no ammateur background .

Most mexican boxers amateur background consist of golden gloves competitions and local gym vs gym bouts, not the Olympic process,( panam games, qualifiers, other international competition, etc.)

Back