Blue or White Collar work?

I think I'd prefer blue-collar work, as long as it wasn't back-breaking and I didn't sweat too much.

What do you make ? People have this misconception that people in the trades don’t make good money. Couldn’t be further from reality.

About £65k, plus bens, which is a modestly decent salary in the UK. Maybe approaching top 7% income bracket, although I do live in a traditionally expensive area.

Most blue collar jobs don’t make that kind of dough here, although some people will see that and more - but they’ll usually be running businesses and not so much on the tools any more.

About £65k, plus bens, which is a modestly decent salary in the UK. Maybe approaching top 7% income bracket, although I do live in a traditionally expensive area.

Most blue collar jobs don’t make that kind of dough here, although some people will see that and more - but they’ll usually be running businesses and not so much on the tools any more.

Is there a shortage of blue collar workers in the UK? In the U.S. I would say that a large amount, if not the majority of younger workers have slowly steered away from traditional trade jobs. I don't have any statistics to back it up, but I believe that's part of the reason the trades pay so much more than you're average starting jobs.

My last job I worked with a guy who had his master's in fisheries. He quit the company to become a welder.

I'm an independent contractor. I too work for myself, but the money comes from some service to another.

I own a brick and mortar business so now that it is established and successful, I delegate as much as possible to employees so I don't have to spend a lot of time there.

Is there a shortage of blue collar workers in the UK? In the U.S. I would say that a large amount, if not the majority of younger workers have slowly steered away from traditional trade jobs. I don't have any statistics to back it up, but I believe that's part of the reason the trades pay so much more than you're average starting jobs.

My last job I worked with a guy who had his master's in fisheries. He quit the company to become a welder.

No shortage of tradespeople here, and immigration has made things worse in some instances. The Poles take a lot of the construction jobs here and can often work more cheaply because they’re not settling here and their families remain back home (where the money eventually goes).

That will change with Brexit, though, plus kids and young adults today were all told that getting a degree from a 2-bit university was their gateway to success. We now have generations of people that are almost completely unemployable and sorely lacking in skills. My cousin went to one of the most expensive schools in the UK, and is now a teacher at one of the most expensive schools in the UK. I saw on Facebook the other day that she had to flag someone down to change the wheel on her car for her when it got a puncture.

Definitely white collar.

That said, there is a trade off. There is a much more tangible feeling of accomplishment with manual labor. Even when you're making big decisions and changing the landscape of a company, it always feels a little bit like something is missing.

I like blue collar work better than white collar work, but as others have said blue collar work can leave you to spent to pursue physically demanding extra circulars.

There's a lot of satisfaction that comes from seeing the fruit of one's labor. White collar work is often intangible and harder to get that satisfaction.

Grass is always greener syndrome for me
I always want what I don't have

Got my own carpentry business, make good money and work very little hours with endless overtime if I want it
Plus keeps me fit as hell

But I do want a desk job badly, even though working 9-5 would murder me, starting from the bottom would financially rape me and I'd get fat as foooooook

But I still fancy a change
Weird right?

In the long run, white collar.

It is a difficult switch from blue to white, that's for sure.

Blue collar work is occupying while white collar work, for me, is at my own pace. Really hard to find shit to do in between work and waiting because I finish my tasks immediately.

Still trying to get over that hump.

From my experience blue collar work is more rewarding consistently. White collar work is a big build up for a single, large reward.

I’ve always been blue collar. White collar sounds appealing, but I’m sure it’s not all cracked up to what it’s supposed to be.

I did manual labor when I was in college.
I'll take a Desk Job all day every day.
Work in an office with temperature control.
Get to dress nice.
Get to see bitches all day trying took their best.
Not too tired to go to the gym after work.
Sherdog.

So true,I used to think all I could do was manual labor. I used to work as a lumper unloading trucks, rapping pallets. But I know I work in non for profit getting paid better, plus the benefits.

You can do better

Done both, prefer blue. As long as it's outside. Factory work is the devil.

Just got done working on a farm in Yuma for a few weeks with a bunch of Mexicans.

I have degrees in Mathematics and Philosophy, and I'm basically a traveling fieldhand.

Life is weird man...

Blue is my preference. I've been gaining different construction skills the last decade and this year I hope to start flipping houses.

I've learnt (90% self taught) foundations and groundwork, concreting, block, brick and traditional stone work, hanging doors, windows, roofing of pitch and flat roofs, how to wire electrics, plumbing drainage, painting and decorating, kitchen fitting tiling and floorings of laminate, carpet etc.

The white collar will be in 10 years, that'll be when I have other people doing all the work for me.

Fingers crossed.

Done both, prefer blue. As long as it's outside. Factory work is the devil.

Just got done working on a farm in Yuma for a few weeks with a bunch of Mexicans.

I have degrees in Mathematics and Philosophy, and I'm basically a traveling fieldhand.

Life is weird man...

Best work I've ever done is outside and largely on my own in the countryside. Not in winter tho. That sucks.

I've always been blue collar, but I'm moving up in the company I work for and am transitioning to white collar. Kind of the best of both worlds right now.

Does the have labor unions?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ufc925
Back