News "Bloody Elbow" Was Sold and Their Entire Staff Was Laid Off

thing is, most of their content was garbage and not justbleed related, for example :

We get it, you hate Dana, fighters dont get paid enough, contracts change... stop following the UFC then, there are plenty of orgs out there

I dont understand what MMA reports do all day, especially when you get good content on youtube, that actually talks about the craft, and not the damn gossip

{<huh}

Investigative journalism that reveals the inner workings of the UFC is garbage? Wth is wrong with you?

Journalism is dead.

Honestly despite all the shit about him I at least respect Ariel for not completely selling out or being a company man(cough cough Brett Okamoto)

This post is funny as hell I mean holy shit.

You do know Ariel was the first guy right, what Okamoto is now Ariel was that and actually more. He was on the payroll, he sucked Dana's dick for couch interviews and would text Dana. He was the shill for UFC until he was dumped so spare me the not selling out shit cause hew as the first fucking guy to sell out to UFC.

This sucks. They filled an MMA news niche no other site did - the nitty gritty of the business side, the lawsuit and critiquing Dana and Chatri.

Plus covering the politics of the sport (albeit in a biased way), which was sometimes pretty interesting and let us fans see other parts of the world and political issues from a different and sometimes more human angle than non-MMA fans (eg learning about Kadyrov/Chechnya from an MMA perspective and not just through the lens of the Ukraine war, like most other Brits). I know some people don't like political articles, but political/social analysis has always been part of sports journalism and rightfully so, because many of sports most intense or impactful moments were that way because of social/political issues (eg many international or club rivalries, Ali-Frazer/Foreman, even Anderson's beef with Vitor).

Wonder why he sold it. GL to the writers. Hopefully if another site tries to fill the same niche, they'll find a way to pair it with some more profitable content.

This sucks. They filled an MMA news niche no other site did - the nitty gritty of the business side, the lawsuit and critiquing Dana and Chatri.

Very true and the MMA world will be less for it being gone.

Wonder why he sold it. GL to the writers. Hopefully if another site tries to fill the same niche, they'll find a way to pair it with some more profitable content.

Nate wrote on twitter that last years changes to Google's search algorithm cut their traffic substantially and ad revenue dropped.

Effectively he said the company was broke and he had to sell quickly.

I have no idea how accurate his public statements on this are, but it is unequivocally true media companies of all sizes are experiencing the same squeeze. It is very difficult to have a news/media blog monetized by advertisements alone. We've seen them folding big and small.

Well if they laid off everyone just to keep the name, then the name isn't worth anything either. Pay no attention to their future articles cause it's not the real BloodyElbow anymore

Why’d you have to ruin a very good point with a dig on capitalism while you yourself have admitted in the War Room that you’re a 30-year-something old man that lives with his parents?

It’s always society’s fault for something and straight up doom and gloom when you post, but there’s obviously some intellect to you so if you developed some critical self-reflection you might be able to get a decent job and afford your own place, and things might start kicking off in the right direction bud. In your hubris you blame capitalism for your own shortcomings because that’s way easier than looking in the mirror

rooting for ya
Suprised he didn’t blame the patriarchy…

That sucks never read their articles but sucks to see anything last that long come to an end

They were the only MMA outlet that did actual journalism. Anyone who values that should be bothered by this news.
The irony being that he was happy they folded because they had a different opinion to him, then tried to peddle that bullshit "different opinion" line here himself.

Very true and the MMA world will be less for it being gone.

Nate wrote on twitter that last years changes to Google's search algorithm cut their traffic substantially and ad revenue dropped.

Effectively he said the company was broke and he had to sell quickly.

I have no idea how accurate his public statements on this are, but it is unequivocally true media companies of all sizes are experiencing the same squeeze. It is very difficult to have a news/media blog monetized by advertisements alone. We've seen them folding big and small.
They honestly started putting out click bait articles with 100 ads noone looked at... they probably provided zero incentive for advertisers to keep spending money... they can blame Google but that makes little sense as they have the same political leaning.. noone wants to read 10,000 words on how Dana is a big pink means separated by 1,000 ads.

SAD!
rs_600x600-160728110257-600.Ivanka-Trump-Donald-Trump-TBT.ms.072816.jpg

Joe Biden showered inappropriately with his daughter according to her own diary.

uFC trial next month, bloodelbow's staff laid off a month before trial. Coincidence?

While I would usually write this off to "Bloodyelbow is usually terrible so who cares," the relative information put out by them in thr last few months regarding the UFC antitrust lawsuit, and the upcoming trial is certainly no coincidence, or if it is, it is one that is massively in the UFC's favor.

This is why sites like substack exist. if you're good at writing longform, truthful content, your readers will pay you directly.

In journalism (whether or not BE counts in your personal view) the curtains can be pulled and the staff strung up in a heartbeat like this anytime you're owned by someone and going after someone bigger.

However, you open yourself up to personal libel lawsuits if you lie (the main reason most hack journalists simply retire to bitching on twitter) or if they don't like what you write and have more money than you to fight in court (they do).

This is why the right to online anonymity among other privacies is crucial to run a just society where we aren't simply cattle to consume corporate products, my friends.

<Wink>

Back