Locked BLACK PANTHER Thread V.2 (First Critics' Reviews)

Status
Not open for further replies.
yaas.gif

I thought america was racist

This movie should not be doing so well

You can be a racist and still be into black athletes and entertainers.

It's the "I have black friends" bullshit.

You can be a racist and still be into black athletes and entertainers.

It's the "I have black friends" bullshit.

I dont think Black Panther is just a movie tho

Its way more than just a movie at this point

Not to me. It's just a movie as far as I'm concerend. To be honest, it's just the opening act for Infinity War.

Not to me. It's just a movie as far as I'm concerend. To be honest, it's just the opening act for Infinity War.
this is just the start to infinity war like u said. it's really stupid i think that depending on the movie people make a big deal of it. i just wanna sit down relax n watch a good movie or a shiity one sometimes depending what i wanna watch.

Just came back from the movie. Saw the earliest morning showing so I can post a review on sherdog lol

This movie focuses more on the drama of who sits on the throne of Wakanda rather than the usual superhero origin story and their powers, and I saw that as a breathe of fresh air. Whoever likened this to a Shakespearean epic wasn't wrong, as it does remind me of one his plays because of the drama of who gets to be king and whatnot. The internal struggles of the both the protagonist and antagonist is what makes this movie IMO, along with the performances by the actors. But other parts of the movie bring this down for me.

Some of the characters aren't fleshed out very well and aren't given much screen time, but they are saved by the actors' performances. In the last act, things feel rushed and scenes were edited out to reduce the screen time. Michael B Jordan's character should've been given more screen time to give his motivation more emotional impact. Still, Kill Monger is probably one of the better villains Marvel has had so far thanks to the actor's performance. Jordan did a really good job of conveying anger and resentment that made you understand why he wanted to do what he does.
For example Andy Serkis gives the best performance in the movie in my opinion, but he isn't in it for long and is given an anti-climatic death. Although that death is sort of needed for the plot to progress.

What disappointed me was that some of the action and CGI in this movie is clunky. It seems a notch below what I've become accustomed to seeing in these sort of movies. I think Altered Carbon had way better visual effects. The action isn't always very clear and as well choreographed like in Winter Soldier. Black Panther honestly looks like his fighting skills got worse after Civil War. The CGI was surprisingly bad in some parts. I got the feeling Marvel allocated most of it's special effects eggs into the Infinity War basket and did a half-ass job with Black Panther. One scene in particular looked like a cut scene from an old video game. A thought I had while watching the movie was how fast Marvel churns these movies out and I think that kind of shows in this movie.

Some other notes:
Maybe it's because I'm Korean I saw the Korean scenes with a more critical eye, but man that part was really clunky.
Letita Wright is a cutie.
I couldn't stop seeing the dude from Get Out as the dude from Get Out. I felt like he gave one of the weaker performances.
The "black people" shit that everybody is complaining about isn't that prominent in the movie. It is kind of important but I don't think they tried to shove it down the viewers' throats.
Helping black people and overthrowing "the white man" is a part of Killmonger's motivation but your opinion on this may change on whether or not it's a part of the original comic.

7/10
Overall, it's the usual Marvel fare. It's entertaining while it lasted but not a movie I'll think about much after I leave the theatres. This could've been a better movie with a bit more fleshed out characters and better action and special effects.

Everybody just shut the fuck up with your bullshit and talk about the movie

I’m excited to see it, I though CB was awesome in civil war & good in the other stuff I’ve seen him in.

Don’t want to get too excited because it looks (judging by the trailers) to have an excessive and poor quality amount of CGI and Michael jordan is fucking horrible. Terrible. The worst actor to ever be in a movie.

But we’ll see.

Thank you so much for that. Was getting so tired of reading the praise for that stiff bum. Every line I've heard from him in the trailers has been downright cringe-worthy.

It is just a movie. I'm a Black man and I hear all my family and friends talking about how "important" this movie is for the black community. Not for black actors/actresses or future Marvel movies with leading black characters but for society in general. I just think the whole thing is ridiculous. You have a Black comic character who was created by white men and and funded by rich white folks who will make millions off of this movie. None of the black people I know will see a dime but it's good for the community?! Okay...

I do hope the movie is a huge success because I'm a fan of the actors in Black Panther and I want to see Ryan Cooger get more projects because he's a talented young black director. But people have to relax a little bit mainly the racists and those pushing their identity politics on a comic book movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back