Black-Metal thread

Would Deafheaven be considered Black metal? Or are they not Kvlt enough?

did they record on one of these?

6a00d83452989a69e20167606445e9970b-pi

I'll probably be called out as a filthy casual but I always ripped Dimmu Borgir back in the day. I guess I've mellowed out in my older years. Don't really thrash any more. Evergreen Terrace is pretty much my thrashhold (see what I did there) at this point.

Who cares? Not a fan here, but if you enjoy, fuck it. Play that shit.

And most of those who argue what is trve or kvlt, are fucking bums.

I'll probably be called out as a filthy casual but I always ripped Dimmu Borgir back in the day. I guess I've mellowed out in my older years. Don't really thrash any more. Evergreen Terrace is pretty much my thrashhold (see what I did there) at this point.

their early stuff was great, such as the album stormblast. here's an example:

It's funny how in black metal discussions Emperor is never even mentioned because they're so superior to everyone else that they're basically not even considered part of the genre anymore.

Anyhoo, here's my take on french black metal:

<36>

Antaeus, Aosoth, Arkhon Infaustus (pre-reunion or whatever it is) Deathspell Omega, Hirilorn. Never been a fan of the LLN scene but they definitely made their mark.

As u can see its only European Black Metal but I have a hard time finding any real dark and heavy American Black Metal ( I know the scene is big in the states ) but imo they lack this eeriness and real weight in its atmosphere and feeling. German black metal is probably my favorite. Norwegian is nice is well but a bit uninteresting and outplayed.
Slavic countries have som nice Black Metal as well. Sweden has an ok scene aswell.

Leviathan is king amongst heavy atmostphere. Weakling, Absu, Demoncy, Nightbringer, etc. And finally a band that is superior to a very large percentage of European bm bands, Grand Belial's Key.

I think they're shit. Safe "black metal" for the Vice/Pitchfork crowd to feel tough and not listen to "dorks in clown make-up yelling about Satan" But as noted above, listen to whatever the hell you want. Who cares.

No one gives a shit about kvlt anymore and I think people talk more about people debating whether something is kvlt or not than any actual debating going on.

Antaeus, Aosoth, Arkhon Infaustus (pre-reunion or whatever it is) Deathspell Omega, Hirilorn. Never been a fan of the LLN scene but they definitely made their mark.

Leviathan is king amongst heavy atmostphere. Weakling, Absu, Demoncy, Nightbringer, etc. And finally a band that is superior to a very large percentage of European bm bands, Grand Belial's Key.

I think they're shit. Safe "black metal" for the Vice/Pitchfork crowd to feel tough and not listen to "dorks in clown make-up yelling about Satan" But as noted above, listen to whatever the hell you want. Who cares.

No one gives a shit about kvlt anymore and I think people talk more about people debating whether something is kvlt or not than any actual debating going on.

Have tried listening to Weakling and Leviathan - I feel they're a bit too boring in my opinion. Not dramatic enough and just a bit colorless so to speak. Lunar Aurora and Ruins of Beverast are miles ahead in atmosphere in my opinion and they're unpredictable and creative in a sense I feel both weakling and especially leviathan lacks.

Lunar Aurora and Ruins of Beverast are miles ahead in atmosphere in my opinion if we are talking about atmosphere. Passage D'Hiver are good aswell altho not as creative and unpredictable as the former but very atmospheric and drawn out.

Enslaved has some good stuff as well but its a bit far between the good stuff. They've done an really nice cover on
Immigrant Song, worth checking out

I really dug Enslaved in the early 90's, mostly the frost album. But their style changed quite a bit by the early 2000's and I lost interest. I like that cover though. Thanks.

I just make fun of kvlt chumps because it’s honestly sad how elitist some black metal fans are. I mostly making fun of how certain mayhem members were all perplexed about bands like Morbid Angel wearing shorts in the subtropical areas like Florida.

It's funny how in black metal discussions Emperor is never even mentioned because they're so superior to everyone else that they're basically not even considered part of the genre anymore.

Anyhoo, here's my take on french black metal:

<36>

lol, burzum > emperor. hvis lyset tar oss is better than anything emperor has ever put out.

Back