BJJ Match Study: Royce Gracie vs Wallid Ismail

I got to spend time with Royce and other Gracies. Royce was great. I was so young in my jiu jitsu career so everything was mind blowing. He made everything look so easy. Big guys, judo guys, Sambo guys, wrestlers. I say blue belts gave him a hard time but that was more hearsay than first hand eye wittness.
Jiu jitsu was taught from a self defense standpoint and transitioned into grappling during every class. The nephews get made fun of for this but this is the way it always has been. Not sure what you are looking for but Royce was very good and a good teacher

That's awesome to hear about Royce. As you can tell I am a fan of the Gracie family. Thanks for sharing.

Royce was a tough sob when it came to Early MMA... His style was far more suited to fighting than grappling contests ... more patient and unyielding... wallid MMA career wasn't that impressive

wallid fought better fighters

wallid fought better fighters

I agree Wallid's opponents were more well rounded and certainly more aware of submissions, but I believe Royce fought more savvy and athletic guys (despite not knowing as much ground stuff), guys that would catch Wallid had they faced him instead, size disadvantage not withstanding.

I think what made Royce so successful early on besides catching everyone off guard with jiu-jitsu was his outstanding ability to allow his opponents to exert maximum energy while he rode it out in addition to preventing Vale-Tudo strikes like headbutts, groin shots etc. He also didn't take risks as he preserved his hands and wrists by not pummeling people when he could. He was very aware in that sense - Patient too, almost to his own detriment.

Wallid only had one gear, he doesn't really have a "Cruise control" so to speak. Wallid's jiu jitsu was world class, but as a fighter, I think Royce has a lot over him, I personally feel Royce had a slickness in MMA that is often under appreciated. He did a lot of little things that were impressive.

Last edited:
Bottom line is this imho, wallids jiu jitsu is better. Royce simply doesn't have alternative skills sets fall back on. The only way Royce can win is via bjj. And Wallid is Bette than that.

Wallid over royce any sport all day.

Back