BJJ Match Study: Royce Gracie vs Wallid Ismail

I don't see any part of the video where Royce tries to sweep Ismail, he just places his foot in front of Ismail's ankle in order to try and pull him over: it is a sasae tsurikomi ashi - and a bad attempt at that.

Nice video though, I enjoy seeing Royce lose and the Gracie family comes to his aid and argues that the victor was cheating lol.

I don't see any part of the video where Royce tries to sweep Ismail, he just places his foot in front of Ismail's ankle in order to try and pull him over: it is a sasae tsurikomi ashi - and a bad attempt at that.

Nice video though, I enjoy seeing Royce lose and the Gracie family comes to his aid and argues that the victor was cheating lol.
Hey yeah upon review could be argued that it's closer to a Sasae than an Ashi Harai (propping vs. sweeping the ankle). Although as you correctly pointed out he didn't fully commit to the action so it's hard to confirm his true intent. Splitting hairs really on this point.

I detect a lot of hostility towards the Gracie which kind of colours your opinion on this rather being an impartial critique. Anyway thanks for watching, keeps me on my toes trying to get these studies as accurate as possible.

I remember being shocked when I watched this. I had rolled with Royce and been in classes where lower belts gave him a hard time. But he always pulled through and while I knew he was not great a spirt jiu jitsu I just thought he would pull through. Would have loved to see these two fight mma
Hopefully Royce would be smart enough to leave the gi at home

I remember being shocked when I watched this. I had rolled with Royce and been in classes where lower belts gave him a hard time. But he always pulled through and while I knew he was not great a spirt jiu jitsu I just thought he would pull through. Would have loved to see these two fight mma

Do you mean blue belts at the time gave a Royce a tough go? That's crazy to me. So you trained at the Academy while Royce taught there? Would love to hear how it was to like learn from him.

Awesome job Ayrshire Grappler can you do one with Royler vs Mario Sperry. Like to see that broken down.

Was he in their guard or they were in his guard. I can see him having difficulty passing modern guards, however I don't think lower belts would survive in his closed guard.

I've heard Royce has so so BJJ. I think one of my past instructors or something tapped him a few times.

that was cool thanks

I don't know, Royce has fought 12 times in the UFC and maybe 6 times in Japan, that said, his BJJ is literally geared for MMA and his submission is based on striking to get his opponent to do something stupid. Sport jiu-jitsu is great stuff, a laboratory in a lot ways, but I just believe a lot of bjj champs would get ko'ed really fast in an MMA fight, and though Royce has lost badly in MMA and Sport jits, he's no slouch in either. I don't know if that makes sense.

Furthermore, Wallid was taught by Carlson since he was a teenager, so he knows Helio's strategy in and out.

Awesome job Ayrshire Grappler can you do one with Royler vs Mario Sperry. Like to see that broken down.
I got to spend time with Royce and other Gracies. Royce was great. I was so young in my jiu jitsu career so everything was mind blowing. He made everything look so easy. Big guys, judo guys, Sambo guys, wrestlers. I say blue belts gave him a hard time but that was more hearsay than first hand eye wittness.
Jiu jitsu was taught from a self defense standpoint and transitioned into grappling during every class. The nephews get made fun of for this but this is the way it always has been. Not sure what you are looking for but Royce was very good and a good teacher

Back