BJ Penn, the phenom myth????

BJ put in his time, the guy basically rode a bike to practice in the morning trained for from what I remember him saying in his MMA book 2 1/2 hours then riding the bike back home and doing it all over again in the afternoon. He also was heavily involved in the tournament scene. If you calculate 5 hours of training a day minimum by 5 days a week multiplied by 52 weeks that mean BJ trained approximately 1,300 hours a year. Compare that to the average person that goes three times a week for one to one and a half hours a class that averages out to 234 hours a year training.

So to put it bluntly BJ put in his time, he was lucky enough to have a schedule that allowed him to do that, keep interest and avoided injury. Add to that the guy was fast learner with some very good natural attributes. So congratulate him for his accomplishment and let's all get back to worrying about our own training instead of second guessing someone elses.

I agree this is the real myth behind BJ's blackbelt how much time he put into it.

A lot of people seem to think because of the way BJ talks and his physique that he spends half an hour a week training and the rest of the time he just jerks off and eats burrito's.

Also does anyone else think it would be significantly harder to win the mundial's in 2011 than 1997?

I agree this is the real myth behind BJ's blackbelt how much time he put into it.

A lot of people seem to think because of the way BJ talks and his physique that he spends half an hour a week training and the rest of the time he just jerks off and eats burrito's.

Also does anyone else think it would be significantly harder to win the mundial's in 2011 than 1997?

it would, but it's not fair to play the accomplishment down like that.

he has done some incredible stuff on the ground both in his grappling competitions and mma fights so it's not like we can't see his mastery.

There are plenty of people that train 5 hours a day, 5x a week, every week that don't win Mundials at their first go as a black belt. Rafael and Gui Mendes train 5 hours a day and have taken longer to get to BB than BJ, and Rafael didn't win Mundials his first go at BB (Gui did).

BJ brothers also went to compete at the world and did well in their own respective belt level. I do not think they were training under Ralph.

Where did BJJ rage go? It's obvious that myth was the wrong word to use. How about Thee BJ Penn Phenom REALITY. Come back Dick Tucker!

Ralph was really mean to David.

Ralph beat him up old school for no reason.

Once David announced that he wanted to leave the club, Ralph grab him to his office with another BB and told him some threats of physical punishement if he ever leave.

Even BJ wrote on his book on how bad Ralph used to beat up his students especially David.

Where did BJJ rage go? It's obvious that myth was the wrong word to use. How about Thee BJ Penn Phenom REALITY. Come back Dick Tucker!

he'll be back to start some new jack ass thread in a day or two

BJ has also said in several interviews that he doesnt know half the stuff thats in the book, and he had a small part in writing it..

Haha, as if anyone was dumb enough to believe BJ (or any other celebrity with no literary background) sat down and wrote a decent, readable book.

I think a big part of why BJ got it so quick is that he didn't have a care in the world except train bjj full time. Not many people have this opportunity, and being granted this chances can defeinitely hange your energy levels and comprehension.

why the hate man??? again, may be the title of the topic was missunderstood, It was not my intention to bash bj, just wanted to know something more about this rumer I heard, someone told me this, so I thought, hell why dont I get this on sherdog, might get some more info...

it seems like bj has some real hardcore fans around here...

I think a big part of why BJ got it so quick is that he didn't have a care in the world except train bjj full time. Not many people have this opportunity, and being granted this chances can defeinitely hange your energy levels and comprehension.

This half true - most of us will never get this chance. The other half is, if we *did* get this chance, how many people would actually go through with it? He has dedication that most can't even comprehend.

why the hate man??? again, may be the title of the topic was missunderstood, It was not my intention to bash bj, just wanted to know something more about this rumer I heard, someone told me this, so I thought, hell why dont I get this on sherdog, might get some more info...

it seems like bj has some real hardcore fans around here...

yeah, who would have thought the man considered to be the most gifted american bjj practitioner would be loved by a grappling community.

it's baffling, really.

Knowing that you are destined for greatness would play a huge part. Just going there and taking a huge risk is a very thankless task, because unless you have a copy from wikipedia from 20 years in the future, it just takes a lot of self belief. The very moment you go too far and, say, move somewhere, drop out of school, have to alienate a loved one, or make any big sacrifice, you just have to bring results, and then it's not just about trying anymore. You absolutely have to make it. It's not in everyone's heart, it's definitely not in mine either. I'm not too familiar with BJ's life, but I would never say that he didn't make sacrifices, because he certainly did.

just seems like all the key priorities added up and with the situation... there's the end result of him receiving his BB in 3 years.

Would be interesting to put a group of people in the same situation with the same attributes and see if there's a similar end result.

good to see people giving BJ the credit he deserves in this thread. people like to think just because he was training full time, he was just chilling and training. but it does take a huge amount of self belief and dedication and sacrafice to get to the level he did so quickly.

BJ's life for that 3 years were on the mat, i doubt he had time for a whole lot else. relationships,time with freinds, doing normal things that people of that age would do.

he gets all the praise in the world from me for such a unqiue achievement.

TS is liar and a complete waste of space.

BJ Penn is a high-level BJJ Black-Belt & I'd love for you to actually prove otherwise besides supposed stories from your made-up friends :rolleyes:

My friend told me that sherdog has 1 more trell- that's a rumer I herd, dood! I guess it takes a real hardcore fan to have a greater grasp of fact and reality (and using google). What a break for the reporter of the century on the interwebz! I'm gonna start a rumer that BJJ Rage posts something that isn't complete shit(herd it frum a frend).

Eat that trell!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back