BJ Penn moved up in Weight and beat the #1 P4P fighter

He also got robbed agaisnt Lyoto fucking Machida. Dude was a beast, only new fans don't understand how great he was in his prime.

BJ doesn’t even claim to have won that fight. Be real.

He also got robbed agaisnt Lyoto fucking Machida. Dude was a beast, only new fans don't understand how great he was in his prime.

I'm a Penn fan, but I thought he lost. Close fight but Machida edged him.

When Penn was motivated, there was arguably no greater P4P fighter in MMA history.

Unfortunately, jumping weight classes and being fairly undisciplined in certain aspects of his career put him a level of two behind the all-time greats of the sport on a career front.

Agreed. He was one the most well rounded fighters at the time.

2gy5ah2.gif
5_medium.gif

PennHughes1.gif
bj-penn-gif-5.gif
giphy.gif

I'll just leave this here for those who seem to have forgotten about Matrix Penn

BJ was awesome but you didn't watch the machida fight. There was no robbery. BJ just showed how bad ass he was

These other 2 division champs beat bums lol Big Tim? Bisping? little Eddie?

Even Hendo beat Wand when he was past his prime. He had lost to Hunt, Arona and almost got his headkicked off my Cro Cop just 5 months before the fight. Hendo beat damaged goods.

BJ beat prime Hughes ranked #1 p4p. During his prime, BJ was on another level compared to everyone else.
BJ was something special, and one of the greatest fighters we have ever seen, but so were some of the other guys you mention. Even if I agree that BJ beating Huges is still the biggest upset, biggest accomplishment, and the biggest single win in MMA history, Randy, GSP and Conors wins were also amazing. I really didn't believe in any of them.

I suggest u think twice about it. The year is 2003-2004.
Guess who else was rollin´ ? 2 other guys with legit HOFers in their streaks.

I feel like you either weren't around to watch it or have very nostalgic memories of the time period.

Here are some historical P4P and WW rankings from 2004.

2004 WW Rankings.JPG 2004 P4P Rankings.JPG

BJ was something special, and one of the greatest fighters we have ever seen, but so were some of the other guys you mention. Even if I agree that BJ beating Huges is still the biggest upset, biggest accomplishment, and the biggest single win in MMA history, Randy, GSP and Conors wins were also amazing. I really didn't believe in any of them.

Conor's win was amazing but he beat a guy who is actually smaller than him.

Gsp's win over Bisping was good but doesn't compare

I agree with everything you said about BJ, but not sure why you felt it necessary to take a swipe at Hendo to do it.
Everybody gotta try'n tear mofo's down....shit.

I feel like you either weren't around to watch it or have very nostalgic memories of the time period.

View attachment 395003 View attachment 395005

Indeed, I wasnt around, I started watching MMA last week.

Still...

Im afraid u´re giving too much weight on [internet] rankings... Not so long ago, this very site had Cerrone (!?!) in its top 10 P4P... What will people say in 2028? The same thing u´re saying right now.

Compare ur win streak to Nog or Fedor´s win streak.

I can confirm u that for sure the dude who made ur list had no clue about Volk Han,for instance, and how Nog performed against him.

View attachment 395003 View attachment 395005
BTW, hespect to Ricardo Almeida...but... U "had" him @ 8 in "your" P4P list.

More: Lindland @ 7! França Nogueira @ 10! Sylvia @ 7 !!

I mean... for real... your list is ridiculous, wont u agree?

BJ was a beast in his prime. If he fought with the same mentality as guys like DJ or GSP and never took risks with his career, he would have had one of the longest title runs ever at LW, but that wasn’t his style.

what the fuck kind of bullshit reasoning is this? he got beat by a lightweight, his title reign would have ended when it did regardless.

arguably beat gsp in their 1st fight

What exactly is the argument that he beat GSP in the first fight? Penn won the first round because he poked GSP in the eye and GSP could not see. Then he CLEARLY lost rounds 2 and 3. Its only "controversial" because Penn fans were insane and Cecil Peoples is the joke of the MMA world

Anyone that’s been watching MMA for more than 5 years remembers him for the Legend he is.

Not true (he is a legend, just not everyone who watched him will think that). Penn split fan opinions like no other fighter

BJ doesn’t even claim to have won that fight. Be real.

Penn fans were like Diaz fans times 10 (although Penn did accomplish much more then the Diaz bros). Even when Penn says he lost (Fitch) they still claim he won

Back