Bigger factor in UFC fighters going to Bellator - USADA or Reebok?

Tough call. I’ll go with the Reebok deal.

UFC literally took money out of their fighters pockets with the Reebok uniforms.

I understand that the Fertittas were responsible for USADA and Reebok but they knew what they were doing all along. WME should’ve realized how bad these two things would affect their ability to keep fighters.
Biggest factor is getting cut by the UFC.

None of those to have been the deciding factors....
Its if UFC wants to keep you or not.

Yeah, with most guys they simply finish their fight contract and become a free agent. They go on the open market and get offers. Sometimes the UFC doesn't put an offer on the table. Sometimes the UFC offer is lower than Bellator. If you have a personality, lots of internet followers and a good manager, you can make some money with sponsorships in Bellator.

It depends on the fighter...for Rory, it was the Reebok deal.

This. All the factors mentioned here are relevant but it's not either or, for some it may be a mix of things as well.

Different fighters are motivated by different things, just like any other category.

I'm going to say it's a combination of both.

When Fighters were allowed to have their own sponsors, they made that extra money needed to support themselves, their coaches, and their families.

When Fighters were, let's be honest here, "allowed" to juice(just don't get caught) without USADA, we more often than not had fights between fighters we WANTED to see and not watch replacements.

Hell..without USADA, Vitor Belfort would still have a career, Hendricks will still fool everyone into believing he's a top-level fighter, Chael Sonnen would still be here, and Brock Lesnar would have been scheduled to take on [insert next opponent] on such and such date.

Oh and Mark Hunt won't be whining at all and attacking people in facebook(or whatever he uses)....

Last edited:
Didnt make enough money - because sponsors are gone - to make up the other 75% they had to pay with their 25% off online reebok coupon (one time).

Tough call. I’ll go with the Reebok deal.

UFC literally took money out of their fighters pockets with the Reebok uniforms.

I understand that the Fertittas were responsible for USADA and Reebok but they knew what they were doing all along. WME should’ve realized how bad these two things would affect their ability to keep fighters.
The slap in the face is just as bad as the financial loss I’m sure

I know I would be pissed to have experienced that

Reebok easily. The USADA guys still stayed and took theirknockout losses. But going from earning 60 grand from sponsors to 5 grand from sponsors is a hit that no fighter can be blamed for wanting to leave behind.

Biggest factor is getting cut by the UFC.

Guys often get "cut" by the UFC when they request their release because they are annoyed with being dicked around by UFC management, or when UFC tried lowballing them... so in that sense you're right.

I'm going to say it's a combination of both.

When Fighters were allowed to have their own sponsors, they made that extra money needed to support themselves, their coaches, and their families.

When Fighters were, let's be honest here, "allowed" to juice(just don't get caught) without USADA, we more often than not had fights between fighters we WANTED to see and not watch replacements.

Hell..without USADA, Vitor Belfort would still have a career, Hendricks will still fool everyone into believing he's a top-level fighter, Chael Sonnen would still be here, and Brock Lesnar would have been scheduled to take on [insert next opponent] on such and such date.

Oh and Mark Hunt won't be whining at all and attacking people in facebook(or whatever he uses)....

I think it's a mistake to assume anyone who has an issue with USADA just wants the freedom to juice. USADA is actually incompetent and seem like a nightmare to deal with. Seriously, go read their literature... it's full of pseudoscientific nonsense and a cultlike worldview. If I were a completely clean fighter I would definitely still resent USADA's dumbass bureaucracy.

Last edited:
Biggest?? They can't get close to the title or win it so they go to a place where the divisions are thinner and competition is not as difficult. Of course you have the scenarios where money and sponsorship is a factor as well and being in Belletor benefits them.

Idk but its amazing how Reebok has managed to stay in business all these years. Until they struck a deal with UFC I cant honestly say when the last time I've actually seen someone wearing any of their apparel.
they had/have a deal with the NHL so they have their name in that market too and ppl don't look anywhere as douchebaggy wearing a team hoodie or jersey compared to a fighter kit.

I believe Reebok is now owned by Adidas? Probably the only reason they are even around. But, that deal was one of the worst things that has happened to the UFC. It definitely hurt the lower level guys who aren't headliners and just took away a lot of the flair and uniqueness of the sport.

thinking that they will make more money in bellator

I doubt thats actually the case for most of them though...

Back