Better Trilogy: Original Star Wars or New Planet of the Apes?

Star Wars OG Trilogy or New Planet of the Apes Trilogy?

• Total voters
The new planet of the apes was ok. I didn't enjoy the third one very much though.

The original Star Wars was great and inspired people minds. Completely epic. I'll still take Alien and Aliens over Star Wars though.

I am giving the edge to Planet of the Apes, although I wasn't really super impressed with the third installment. The first two installments were fantastic.

Homer.

Homer, Homer, Homer.

Homer-- Homer, I gotta tell ya Homer, yeesh, you know?

Just, yeesh

The last of the new Apes trilogy movies is the only one that registers anywhere remotely close to the worst of the original SW trilogy.

Great movie, indeed, but this is like comparing Critters to Gremlins. There is a hierarchy, and it should be obvious what's on top.

Apes better than the Trinity?
<bball1>

Never was a big fan of Star Wars, so it loses by default.

That said, I don't mind the POTA movies, but I don't think they're all that special either. I think they're well made, but there's a bland staleness to them, that does not evoke any kind of emotion from me. Takes itself a little too seriously, I guess. I can barely distinguish one ape from another outside of Caeser, and whatever ape they make the antagonist, and don't give a fuck about their plight at all.

The very concept that any of the movies mentioned in this thread are better than Empire is fucking laughable, outside of the first two Godfather movies. Then Godfather 3 is so terrible that the entire trilogy is disqualified. LotR aged terribly. PotA movies were decent but overrated. Star Wars trilogy crushes them all.

Title says it all. There's been some unreasonable claims made on behalf of Planet of the Apes in here lately, and I though I'd clear it up for the forum.

The original Star Wars Trilogy is vastly better than the new Planet of the Apes Trilogy. It's not even close in my opinion.

Discuss.
Dammit Homer why did you have to do this? It's not really a fair question and you're picking on some of my favorite modern movies. I am unfortunately compelled to respond.

Yes, I really liked the newest POTA trilogy. The third installment was slightly weaker I think but it was a very well done re-imagining of the story and I think the movies have excellent re-watch value. Some of my favorite modern movies for sure.

Now, clearly the original Star Wars was one of the epic accomplishments in cinematic history, which is why it doesn't seem like a fair question. Then Empire was actually a better movie, so far so good right? Here's the thing though, nostalgia aside, Jedi sucked balls. The decision to scrap the idea of a wookie planet in favor of those stupid ewoks was a huge blunder and a portend of a long, long period of garbage from George Lucas. The series went from ground-breaking special effects to midgets in cheap looking teddy bear suits. The whole movie was really one big failed merchandising set-up. Han Solo was reduced to a corny bunch of one-liners. Seriously re-watch it, it was a bad movie. Out of all of the movies in both trilogies it was the only one which sucked.

So yes, historically it's the Star Wars trilogy hands down, not really a debate but for consistent quality Apes is actually more consistently excellent so the argument has merit IMO.

Anyway I'll forgive you for making me type all that, it's cool man, just please don't do something like this ever again.;)o_O

The last of the new Apes trilogy movies is the only one that registers anywhere remotely close to the worst of the original SW trilogy.

Great movie, indeed, but this is like comparing Critters to Gremlins. There is a hierarchy, and it should be obvious what's on top.
Completely agree with your view on hierarchy but completely disagree with your first statement. Jedi was awful. Midgets in teddy bear suits man.

Last edited:
Title says it all. There's been some unreasonable claims made on behalf of Planet of the Apes in here lately, and I though I'd clear it up for the forum.

The original Star Wars Trilogy is vastly better than the new Planet of the Apes Trilogy. It's not even close in my opinion.

Discuss.

Come on, son. This is like putting Godfather II up against Analyse This! It's a complete and utterly one-sided curb stomp. OG Star Wars trilogy are some of the most significant films ever made. It's difficult to overestimate the impact they had on culture, both at the time of their release and today.

Last edited:
Come on, son. This is like putting Godfather II up against Analyse This! It's a complete and utterly one-sided curb stomp. OG Star Wars trilogy are some of the most significant films ever made. It's difficult to overestimate the impact they had on culture, both at the time of their release and today.
Tell that to the 6 rubes who voted for PotA.

Dammit Homer why did you have to do this? It's not really a fair question and you're picking on some of my favorite modern movies. I am unfortunately compelled to respond.

Yes, I really liked the newest POTA trilogy. The third installment was slightly weaker I think but it was a very well done re-imagining of the story and I think the movies have excellent re-watch value. Some of my favorite modern movies for sure.

Now, clearly the original Star Wars was one of the epic accomplishments in cinematic history, which is why it doesn't seem like a fair question. Then Empire was actually a better movie, so far so good right? Here's the thing though, nostalgia aside, Jedi sucked balls. The decision to scrap the idea of a wookie planet in favor of those stupid ewoks was a huge blunder and a portend of a long, long period of garbage from George Lucas. The series went from ground-breaking special effects to midgets in cheap looking teddy bear suits. The whole movie was really one big failed merchandising set-up. Han Solo was reduced to a corny bunch of one-liners. Seriously re-watch it, it was a bad movie. Out of all of the movies in both trilogies it was the only one which sucked.

So yes, historically it's the Star Wars trilogy hands down, not really a debate but for consistent quality Apes is actually more consistently excellent so the argument has merit IMO.

Anyway I'll forgive you for making me type all that, it's cool man, just please don't do something like this ever again.;)o_O

Completely agree with your view on hierarchy but completely disagree with your first statement. Jedi was awful. Midgets in teddy bear suits man.
LOL. That was my bad.

I feel basically the same way that you do, although I like Jedi just fine. There is enough there to cover up the Ewoks, imo. But, after reading about the original plans for RotJ, it is very disappointing that we didn't get that film.

Except that there are only 2 Godfather movies.

I won't even address the rest of this trash post.

source.gif

Back