Better Trilogy: Original Star Wars or New Planet of the Apes?

Star Wars OG Trilogy or New Planet of the Apes Trilogy?

• Total voters

HomerThompson

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Title says it all. There's been some unreasonable claims made on behalf of Planet of the Apes in here lately, and I though I'd clear it up for the forum.

The original Star Wars Trilogy is vastly better than the new Planet of the Apes Trilogy. It's not even close in my opinion.

Discuss.

The OG star wars was before my time, so I wasn't there at its height. That said, I found the new apes movies so much more engaging than the star wars films. I walked into Rise thinking it would be a hot mess, and left eating crow, it was great.

Holy Trilogy destroys all comers, even though the new Planet of the Apes trilogy was good.

Third movie in both series is the weakest. I chose Star wars but after further review I’m really not sure. I gave the go ahead to star wars for episode 1(4) being better in star wars than apes. I mean a new hope is better than the Franco ape film. Still pretty close.

The SW original trilogy was both critically and commercially successful and has decades of nostalgia and cultural impact behind it.

Not really a fair comparison, even though Reeves' trilogy is surprisingly excellent.

Better question is which is better, original planet of the apes or new Star Wars lol

Better question is which is better, original planet of the apes or new Star Wars lol
Yeah, this would be a better question.
And it's definitely Planet of the Apes. Don't even need to see the 3rd trainwreck of this current SW trilogy to make that call

I wasn't a fan of the last POTA movie though. I felt like i had just rewatched 2..and i didn't care to see a movie about apes vs humans which was essentially a jailbreak film.

OT Star Wars by pure destruction.

Anyone who even asks or entertains this question deserves a smack upside the head in my opinion.

I have to go with star wars for the originality. Yeah, it used a lot of sci fi tropes already used, but it's not a remake of something with the same title. Love the new planet of the apes, but star wars started the trilogy fad we've been going through for decades.

Godfather, LOTR, and The Dark Knight Trilogy kill star wars
Godfather wins yes, but Dark Knight not quite (Empire > Dark Knight by a little, New Hope > Begins, Jedi > Rises), and LOTR (that's a tough one).

Godfather wins yes, but Dark Knight not quite (Empire > Dark Knight by a little, New Hope > Begins, Jedi > Rises), and LOTR (that's a tough one).

There's no weak movie in LOTR, there is in star wars. Better story and action too.

Dark knight is greater than any star wars movie but I'm not a star wars fan so my opinion is bias.

There's no weak movie in LOTR, there is in star wars. Better story and action too.

Dark knight is greater than any star wars movie but I'm not a star wars fan so my opinion is bias.
See, that's where I differ. Let's go one by one. New Hope > Fellowship. Empire > Two Towers. Return of the King > Return of the Jedi. Does Return of the King 10-8 Jedi? Not quite, more like a 10-8.5. I think Holy Trilogy wins by split decision.

I'll have to go with star wars due to not being an idiot.

See, that's where I differ. Let's go one by one. New Hope > Fellowship. Empire > Two Towers. Return of the King > Return of the Jedi. Does Return of the King 10-8 Jedi? Not quite, more like a 10-8.5. I think Holy Trilogy wins by split decision.

Only 1 of those films won an oscar for best picture. Return of the King is > any star wars movie.

Only 1 of those films won an oscar for best picture. Return of the King is > any star wars movie.
It's a tough call, but IMDB has Return of the King over Empire. Let's go by IMDB scores for this one for fun.

LOTR:
Return of the King 8.9
Fellowship of the Ring 8.8
Two Tower 8.7

SW:
Empire 8.7
New Hope 8.6
Jedi: 8.3

LOTR wins on IMDB. Not for me, but I'm not mad at the decision.

Back