Television Better Call Saul racked up 53 Emmy nominations during its run: didn't win a single one

what are some of the shows they lost too?

Not winning anything is a travesty - this was by far the best show on TV for most of its run.

But while we're on the topic, I'll just put it out there that the whole "let's sabotage ourselves so we can bone Howard" side quest cheapened the series and wasn't written to the exceedingly high standards of the rest of the show. All in, this was a very very good show that at times exceeded even Breaking Bad. But it didn't stick the landing as perfectly as BB did.

Grammys, Emmys, Oscars, Fake Boobs

They all look pretty, but when it comes down to it, are essentially useless things that serve no purpose.

They gave an emmy to ray's mom from everbody loves raymond for crying out loud. And they gave an emmy to The newsroom

Yeah I was really surprised by what a good actor Michael McKean was if he was given something serious. It's often the case that guys known for comedy will surprise you with drama but he never really struck me as a candidate for that crew until I saw it with my own eyes.

Always Sunny has never even had a nomination, it's ridiculous.
Hey, they have to make room for dogshit agenda noms! Shows that have received nominations for Outstanding Comedy/Musical series during Philly's run:

Girls
Transparent
Black-ish
Glee
Insecure

Dead to Me
Ugly Betty
Emily in Paris
PEN15
Abbott Elementary
Orange is the New Black

There's no room for actual comedic greatness.

Awards are for the industry to pat themselves on the back and act like they care about the plebs.

It’s hard to go 0 for 53 at anything, seems like a mathematical improbability

Always Sunny has never even had a nomination, it's ridiculous.

The only show to come close to Always Sunny during its run was What We Do In The Shadows imo.

I liked Shitz Creek well enough. My cousin was on that show. But come on. At its best it doesn’t touch Always Sunny at its worst

The only show to come close to Always Sunny during its run was What We Do In The Shadows imo.

I liked Shitz Creek well enough. My cousin was on that show. But come on. At its best it doesn’t touch Always Sunny at its worst
The Office, Modern Family, Family Guy, Arrested Development, Parks & Recreation, Silicon Valley, Barry, Curb Your Enthusiasm, 30 Rock, What We Do in the Shadows, Ted Lasso, Cobra Kai, Schitt's Creek, and Veep are all great comedies that got nominated during Sunny's long, long run. They all deserved their noms.

Contrary to what appears to be prevailing opinion around here, I also think Two and a Half Men and The Big Bang Theory were great sitcoms that were written well.

I think they nailed it this year since The Bear the big winner although I don't understand why that show is being entered in the Comedy category. It's often funny, but it's not a comedy.

Easily the best comedy during Sunny's run that also didn't get nominated for Best Comedy was Community. Only one major creative Emmy nomination (for Outstanding writing...didn't win). This is one of the few shows that I think has a case to be argued the greatest sitcom of the 21st century so far. Also the other show by Harmon-- during its early seasons: Rick & Morty.
Community-copy.jpg

Last edited:
The Office, Modern Family, Family Guy, Arrested Development, Parks & Recreation, Silicon Valley, Barry, Curb Your Enthusiasm, 30 Rock, What We Do in the Shadows, Ted Lasso, Cobra Kai, Schitt's Creek, and Veep are all great comedies that got nominated during Sunny's long, long run. They all deserved their noms.

Contrary to what appears to be prevailing opinion around here, I also think Two and a Half Men and The Big Bang Theory were great sitcoms that were written well.

I think they nailed it this year since The Bear the big winner although I don't understand why that show is being entered in the Comedy category. It's often funny, but it's not a comedy.

Easily the best comedy during Sunny's run that also didn't get nominated for Best Comedy was Community. Only one major creative Emmy nomination (for Outstanding writing...didn't win). This is one of the few shows that I think has a case to be argued the greatest sitcom of the 21st century so far. Also the other show by Harmon-- during its early seasons: Rick & Morty.
Community-copy.jpg

I agree on Rick and Morty, but cartoons are a little different. I also think South Park is still capable of bringing some top tier laughs and of course had some high highs during the Sunny run.

Being annoyed that Sunny doesn’t get nominations led me into a bit of hyperbole. The list you made deserves their props. Alison Brie on community is hotness incarnate. Curb and 30 Rock can’t be denied either.

You seem to have a broad taste and the ability to enjoy a lot of different kinds of comedy. To me that’s a bit like someone who can ski, skate, snowboard and snowshoe. Most people pick one and stick with it; dabbling in the rest fairly rarely. Maybe I need a certain nihilism…

Big Bang Theory… whenever it’s on, if I’m in the right mood it is kind of hypnotizing. It’s not so much that I die laughing as much as it just hooks me and I sink into it.

But Always Sunny makes me laugh so hard I can’t do anything else. It’s the kind of show I will go out of my way to get other people to watch. Every friend I’ve ever gotten to watch the “wild card” episode seems to react the same way I do, which makes me love the show that much more. I feel like it makes its fans look good.

I agree on Rick and Morty, but cartoons are a little different. I also think South Park is still capable of bringing some top tier laughs and of course had some high highs during the Sunny run.
Oh, South Park is definitely worthy. GOAT animated series. I just didn't have it on my mind because I remembered it has won Outstanding Animated series a few times. Five wins. Still not nearly enough. Should be dozens.

I totally forgot Rick & Morty won that same award twice.

Back