Best young kickboxer/ muay thai fighter to look forward to in 2017?

phantomgerald

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently doing more research on kickboxing but the number of articles is so little compared to MMA.

I want to know, with 2017 almost upon us, who are the young guys that we should keep our eye on? Somebody who has been flying under the radar and not signed to any of the major organisations, but could really make a splash next year?

You're looking for kickboxers or MT competitors?

You're looking for kickboxers or MT competitors?
Probably asking for kickboxers or international/non thai muay thai fighters.

Last edited:
Keep an eye on Patpanomrung in kickboxing.

In muay thai i don't know. There are young top stadium fighters in the lighter divisions, but i don't think it's what you're looking for.

You can't put MuayThai and kickboxing in the same category. 2 different sports. Like comparing rugby to American football.

But within kickboxing Petpanomrung is definitely someone to look out for. Also superbon and Anatoly Moiseev.

Marat grigorian and sittichai are more known but if you don't know them you should look them up.

In 2017 Takeru reaches God status...
In 2017, Takeru announces that he is retiring from KB to fulfil his destiny as a J-Pop superstar.

KB wise, I am looking forward to
- Qiu Jiang Liang who is supposedly getting a matchup vs. Kaew Fairtex
- Israel Adesanya working his way to a title shot
- The K-1 Koshien generation (Noiri, Urabe, Ishida) continuing to style on ageing Japanese fighters

I am currently doing more research on kickboxing but the number of articles is so little compared to MMA.
Do you go on websites devoted to KB and/or MT? There are more articles than there are sherdog MMA articles in my experience.

sing is not that young but he has had a strong rise in the last year or so...im interested to see how he goes in 2017 (even though he got whooped in his last fight....)

sing is not that young but he has had a strong rise in the last year or so...im interested to see how he goes in 2017 (even though he got whooped in his last fight....)

Who'd he lose to? Last I remember he beat Prajantchai in the rematch.

But what counts as "young" or upcoming fighters? 18-20 isnt that young in muay thai standards. And for us that don't live in thailand or follow the scene extremely closely, any "upcoming fighter" is probably already fighting on big cards, or else we wouldnt have heard of them.

And if we take someone like Petpanomrung he is already very accomplished and known in the muay thai scene, just new in kickboxing.

Someone mentioned Qiu Jian Liang. Well he already beat Sagetdao, Ilias Bulaid and Jomthong.

And while Ginsanslek is said to be a big muay thai prospect, isn't there a handful of just as good prospects about the same age out there?

TS you would be better of just watching more muay thai and kickboxing fights and learn about the sports yourself. The question is too broad to make a good answer.

Btw, i think the tall lanky french guy that fought in the last K-1 has potential in kickboxing. Not sure about his name.

tawanchai, sing, gingsanglek

I'm not sure those guys are "prospects" in the usual sense. I think of "prospects" as guys who either haven't made it to the big show (like the MLB, NHL, UFC, etc.) or are on the lower rung working their way up. All the guys you mentioned are already quite accomplished in the division they fight in or were even in the discussion for current pound for pound lists; they're more "phenoms" than "prospects". The "real prospects" are kids who fight on the undercard of stadium shows, or on weekend shows, or festival fights, but will be great in the future. I'm not sure I could name a single "prospect" in that sense.

Last edited:
You can't put MuayThai and kickboxing in the same category. 2 different sports. Like comparing rugby to American football.

But within kickboxing Petpanomrung is definitely someone to look out for. Also superbon and Anatoly Moiseev.

Marat grigorian and sittichai are more known but if you don't know them you should look them up.
this is bullshit, they are comparable, in fact some fighters fight in both rule sets. the way he put his question is actually quite correct.

Back