Best MMA Base: BJJ or Wrestling

Dan Severn and Ken Shamrock say hello lol.

I will admit that it took wresting a while to adapt to MMA because the purpose of wrestling is to pin your opponent, but after they figured out ground and pound and the RNC, it became alot more dominant.
Ken Shamrock was not a wrestler.

There are times when people think what is the best base for MMA. It would either be BJJ or Wrestling. Which one you think is a better and the best MMA base! BJJ or Wrestling?
Wrestling is a train. Striking and submissions are two different tracks. You need takedowns to achieve (most) submissions and you need takedown defense to achieve knockouts. I can think of no better base than wrestling.

Plot Twist .......

CATCH Wrestling. Pretty much the best of both worlds in my opinion :

220px-Josh_Barnett_2010.jpg

thum_KazushiSakuraba_en.jpg

ikuhisa-minowa.jpg

Wrestling.. even Maia had to learn some wrestling to make his BJJ game more effective. Without wrestling and only BJJ, you will get nowhere.

There are times when people think what is the best base for MMA. It would either be BJJ or Wrestling. Which one you think is a better and the best MMA base! BJJ or Wrestling?
Obviously wrestling. There has been many champions that had a blue belt in BJJ at the time.

Back