Best MMA Base: BJJ or Wrestling

With the current rules probably wrestling. Not being allowed to knee in the sprawl, to a grounded opponent or the fact that TDD is not valued whatsoever in scoring, all give wrasslers a big advantage.

Edit; plus the early days of MMA show that BJJ has the clear advantage in both of their pure forms.
If anything the rules favor strikers.
Every round starts on the feet even if you were mounted all the way to the bell if the prior round, no knees to the head from top control, stand-ups all the time, etc.

Dan Severn and Ken Shamrock say hello lol.

I will admit that it took wresting a while to adapt to MMA because the purpose of wrestling is to pin your opponent, but after they figured out ground and pound and the RNC, it became alot more dominant.

Yes Dan is a perfect example of a wrestler who had no idea how to fight, he was pure early on. I won’t concede that Shamrock was a pure wrestler...he was the first well rounded guy we saw in the UFC. He was far from a wrestler at that point.

There are times when people think what is the best base for MMA. It would either be BJJ or Wrestling. Which one you think is a better and the best MMA base! BJJ or Wrestling?
Wrestling is the obvious best base, but to be the best you need to develop all skills.

If anything the rules favor strikers.
Every round starts on the feet even if you were mounted all the way to the bell if the prior round, no knees to the head from top control, stand-ups all the time, etc.

Because it’s a FIGHT!!!! Every fight I’ve ever seen has started on the feet. Smh

Because it’s a FIGHT!!!! Every fight I’ve ever seen has started on the feet. Smh
The fight starts on the feet, thats fine, but every round?

C'mon buddeh.

Also Kill Bill Vol. 1 was far superior to the sequel.

Neither, it's all about that aikido.

giphy.gif

Are you kidding? It's a tie between Joe Son Do, SAFTA and "Ranger" Stott's homemade style. Okay, I really dated myself there...

Yes Dan is a perfect example of a wrestler who had no idea how to fight, he was pure early on. I won’t concede that Shamrock was a pure wrestler...he was the first well rounded guy we saw in the UFC. He was far from a wrestler at that point.

Yes....the question was about bases.

Not "Only allowed to use one style"

Being able to take people down and pin them beneath you is more useful than working from underneath them. Plus wrestling trains Takedown defense, so you can just keep it standing if you want to.

Are we talking about the best thing to start with if your a blank canvas of an aspiring MMA fighter? If so Id suggest you look at it this way. If your a good athlete ie strong, coordinated, pick up things rather easily, etc then go for BJJ first. If you not so athletic, get your ass in the wrestling room and develop cardio, grit, toughness, and the more basic techniques of wrestling (relative to Bjj) and start there.

Are you kidding? It's a tie between Joe Son Do, SAFTA and "Ranger" Stott's homemade style. Okay, I really dated myself there...
Ah, the good old RIP fighting that made all other disciplines "Rest in Peace"

Mark-Kerr-Greg-Stott-bonus-tidbit.gif

Striking is the best base. I don't care what anybody says. I know a little about nerves and muscles, and developing the dexterity of an elite striker takes years of repetition. You can start wrestling at 18 and by 22, you will be good at it.

I think to be a flawless striker you need to start much younger than 18. The fine motor muscles required for striking need to be recruited and programmed as soon as a child is able to hold a pen and write.

I see MMA fighters older than 25 getting really good at wrestling, but not striking. They look good hitting pads, but when the pressure is on in a real competition, they turn into looping punchers with their eyes closed. Also, they don't have the endurance to maintain a high-output.

The only grappling you really need is to make very difficult and gas-draining for the lay-and-prayers to get you down. After a few failed TD attempts, most grapplers are drained.

There is a reason why Olympians like DC and Yoel Romero are opportunistic wrestlers (they do it when it is cost effective). It is tiring working for TDs.

Shouldn’t BJJ be considered the gi form of the grappling art?

Wrestlers lack knowledge of finish holds and positions that are subject to finish holds. But when trained to acknowledge those these become the best MMA grapplers

Wrestling dictates where the fight is going to be and is an easy transition to BJJ anyways. Unless your opponent is better than you at everything, you can pretty much always be at an advantage if your wrestling is good.

I think if you could make an "experiment" and suddenly selectively eliminate the BJJ that everyone knows, a lot of people would get easily subbed. BJJ has become the very ground skill. Not every fighter has a high level wrestling, so guy who can do it well have an advantage. But there are still BJJ aces like Jacare and Werdum where it doesn't matter.

No to mention striking - if you deny the wrestler his TDs, and he is a poorer striker, it's a different story. Aldo made a career out of that, Conor can pull it off and so on.

Striking is the best base. I don't care what anybody says. I know a little about nerves and muscles, and developing the dexterity of an elite striker takes years of repetition. You can start wrestling at 18 and by 22, you will be good at it.

I think to be a flawless striker you need to start much younger than 18. The fine motor muscles required for striking need to be recruited and programmed as soon as a child is able to hold a pen and write.

I see MMA fighters older than 25 getting really good at wrestling, but not striking. They look good hitting pads, but when the pressure is on in a real competition, they turn into looping punchers with their eyes closed. Also, they don't have the endurance to maintain a high-output.

The only grappling you really need is to make very difficult and gas-draining for the lay-and-prayers to get you down. After a few failed TD attempts, most grapplers are drained.

There is a reason why Olympians like DC and Yoel Romero are opportunistic wrestlers (they do it when it is cost effective). It is tiring working for TDs.
Wow, this is an actual opinion.

Wrestling. It allows you to dictate whether the fight goes to the mat or stays standing. Wrestlers do pretty well picking up submissions as well whereas being sick at BJJ does not work the other way with takedown/control.

Back