Best headphones in each price range/style

45ACP

I'll Be Back Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
For the audiophiles out there, and inspired by the pet peeve thread, what are your preferred style of headphones and what do you consider the best headphones in each price range ($50-$100, $100-$175, $175+)?

I'll admit that my knowledge is limited on this topic, so don't come to me looking for recommendations. But I'm sure there are some much more knowledgeable guys here who can chime in.

I prefer over the ear, and have a pair of skull candy's that are decent, but I'm sure there are much better options out there for the price.

I also have a pair of Klipsch in-ears that are decent and are by far the most comfortable ear buds I've ever used.

Let's hear what you guys like.

Definitely not Beats.

I know that there are some good Audio Technicas in the $50-$100 range, ATH-M30X and ATH-M40X, that have received some good reviews.

The Panasonic RPHJE120K are $6.27 and you will be hard pressed to find a better sounding headphone sub $30-40. I do blue-collar work and swear by these for cheapies.

Sennheiser imo makes some of the best in every price range out there. From cheap to over 1k.

Over ear is my preferred unless I'm working out or something like that, then in ear is the way to go.

I've got a pair of klipsch I think they was around $100 they sound pretty good to me

Currently have the Audio Technica ATH-50x. Sound great with nice bass, mids and highs in them. I got them off of eBay, so I didn't pay full retail price for them

I love my JBL Synchros Reflect.

Around $50

Sennheiser imo makes some of the best in every price range out there. From cheap to over 1k.

Over ear is my preferred unless I'm working out or something like that, then in ear is the way to go.

Yeah, from the relatively small amount of research I have done, Audio Technica and Sennheiser seem to be the best overall.

Next time I'm in the market for headphones those are the two brands I'll be looking at.

Yeah, from the relatively small amount of research I have done, Audio Technica and Sennheiser seem to be the best overall.

Next time I'm in the market for headphones those are the two brands I'll be looking at.

Yeah both are good. I auditioned a few in the 2-300 range and I preferred the Sennhesiers.

Can't go wrong with Sennheiser.

I've been using a pair of in ear CX300II's for a year now. Fairly cheap, great quality.

Yeah both are good. I auditioned a few in the 2-300 range and I preferred the Sennhesiers.

Do you know if there's actually a noticeable difference between say, a $300 pair of Sennheisers and a $1000+ pair?

I'm guessing the difference is imperceivable to anyone other than the most serious audiophile sitting in a completely sound proof room listening to music that's been flawlessly recorded with a ridiculously high dynamic range and that they're extremely familiar with.

the best headphones i've came across is klipsch and sony.
do not buy from bose, skull candy or beats, they all break within a year and are overpriced for the build and sound quality

Superlux HD-681 EVO

Less than $42 shipped!

Wont really find better for less than $200 - $300. Absolutely beautiful sound experience with these. The included Velour ear pads allow you to listen to these for hours at a time.

Under $400 price range
I had 2 pair of Sennheiser HD 600 Open Dynamic Professional Stereo headphones that I used for over a decade.

Under $150 price range
I had 1 pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50X Professional Studio Monitor headphones. I used for several years now.

The Audio-Technica headphones are much better and by a very very large margin. You could immediately notice the improvement. It really wasn't close at all in terms of comfort and sound and that isn't even taking into consideration the price. If the prices were reversed and the Senns were $150 and the ATs were $400, I would still take the ATs...they are that much better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Audio Technica ATH-M50 ($130-180). Lower end through ebay, CL, etc. I got mine from kijiji

Sennheiser HD201 I got these on sale for $20. I use them as my backup headphones. My primary one is a bluetooth one, so when that runs out of juice I have this one. For $20-30 range, its decent

I've heard good things about Shures and Denons. Shures are around the same price range as AT, Denons are a bit pricier

i have these bad boys... they are great

k2-_c11fd097-a394-45a1-b82b-b7fc0b1ceea8.v1.jpg

I remember about a year or 2 ago when I worked for RadioShack they clearanced out the whole Klipsch lineup. $200 stuff could be had for $30 and some earbuds for $9.97. It was crazy how many people still didn't buy em cause they went for the stuff with the popular names.

I must admit I got the new Skullcandy Crushers as a Christmas gift and those were a nice surprise, good sound and better build from SC.

Back