Best base mma style?

higginz92

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Whats the best mma base style? Is it better to start with a stand up style (aka boxing) or ground style (aka judo)?

Its kind of stupid these days to favor one style over the other because realistically you need a wide spectrum to survive, but there is argument that wrestling is the best base at this point.

Whats the best mma base style? Is it better to start with a stand up style (aka boxing) or ground style (aka judo)?

ultimately the best base style for MMA is.... drumroll please... MMA!! that being said,,

IMO, if you cant attend an MMA class or can only do one style, it is better to learn a striking art such as kickboxing, MT or karate as it is easier to learn a few takedown and submission defenses that will work for MMA, than to have a background in bjj or wrestling and learning how to strike effectively.

yeah your right, better to learn how to properly strike efficiantly then learn grappling coz i mean lets face it, most fights now are more striking then grappling.

Thanks dude :)

Usually I try to be nice and helpful in my posts but when someone asks what is the single best martial art for MIXED MARTIAL ARTS, that is just painfully retarded..... You need to learn striking (Muay Thai, Boxing, Karate or Sambo) and you need to learn grappling (BJJ, Wrestling, Sambo, Judo) , without some of both you can't be a MIXED martial artist or fighter.

ultimately the best base style for MMA is.... drumroll please... MMA!! that being said,,

IMO, if you cant attend an MMA class or can only do one style, it is better to learn a striking art such as kickboxing, MT or karate as it is easier to learn a few takedown and submission defenses that will work for MMA, than to have a background in bjj or wrestling and learning how to strike effectively.

the best base is wrestling & i'm not a wrestler. it's what my 1st instructor & royce gracie proved waaaay back: any person can throw a punch or a kick even without decent training. but grappling?

Muay Thai-kwondo. (the art of Muay Thai taught to you by a taekwondo instructor)

the best base is wrestling & i'm not a wrestler. it's what my 1st instructor & royce gracie proved waaaay back: any person can throw a punch or a kick even without decent training. but grappling?

Royce Gracie proved that wrestling is the best base?

Was it his explosive double legs? His phenomenal top control?

Wrestling is it's own discipline, it's not all of grappling.

Bjj if everyone was only given one style to choose

Wrestling hands down, I feel it is the only required discipline for aspiring fighters to learn/study.

Sadly, those of us who spent high school partying, have little (no) options once we realize the errors of our ways.

lol go and have a cry all of you, why does everyone act like theyre the king of MMA? for-real man up about it and if you have an answer to a question, then answer it, if not, dont be a hero about it just move on..

lol go and have a cry all of you, why does everyone act like theyre the king of MMA? for-real man up about it and if you have an answer to a question, then answer it, if not, dont be a hero about it just move on..

lol yeah getting a straight answer on here can be like getting blood out of a stone. Comes down to the old adage if you can't dazzle them with brilliance baffle them with BS. Half of them are out just to try and prove how much more they know than you.

As for best base, i think time and time again it's been proven it's better to have a grappling base, contrary to my username i wouldn't go with judo, it relies too much on gi grips.

For the basis of your question, i'd go with a no gi BJJ system like 10th planet jiu jitsu for a base. The rubber guard isn't the only thing they teach in that system as they teach a top game aswell.

It's pretty darn obvious if you were going to compete in MMA you wouldn't just walk in with no striking training so that's a mute point.

Haha, "mute point."

But yeah, wrestling seems to be heavily favored as a starting point to build on.

I wish I would have taken wrestling in high school but the wreslting coach discourages me by telling me that I have to be able to bench twice my weight.

Keep in mind I was 6'2" and about 150-155lb at the time.

^^ you should have told him it's wrestling not weight lifting.

I wish I would have taken wrestling in high school but the wreslting coach discourages me by telling me that I have to be able to bench twice my weight.

Keep in mind I was 6'2" and about 150-155lb at the time.

Probably better of not having him as a coach, sounds like a neanderthal

wrestling seems like a great base b/c you determine where the fight takes place and can always smother somebody and get your wits back if you get caught. however, for some reason wrestlers seem to have such a hard time learning how to stand... not the case with all of them, but from personal experiences and watching fights they always seem to not be able to get it right. they pick up BJJ real fast though! id say maybe the best base is to take a few boxing classes to learn some basic punching technique and then take up wrestling and practice punching on your own.

Back