Best base mma style?

Wrestling hands down, I feel it is the only required discipline for aspiring fighters to learn/study.

Sadly, those of us who spent high school partying, have little (no) options once we realize the errors of our ways.

yeah i really regret having all that sex and fun in my youth. If only i'd have been shouted at by a stocky dude whilst in a neck bridge instead.

tai chi and Wing Chun are the most effective. so effective that it's considered too dealy for MMA due to it's forbiden techniques. Proffesional practitioners by law are not allowed to compete in competitions and must register their fists to local law enforcement as teh deadly weapons.

every fight starts standing as we saw in the maia/marquardt fight so i think that a more mixed stand up base like muay thai or kickboxing will do good

yeah this guy i worked with did that i think, his fav move was getting into the clinch, using his knee and then throwing his opponent foward, its pretty sick to watch :)

the best base is wrestling & i'm not a wrestler. it's what my 1st instructor & royce gracie proved waaaay back: any person can throw a punch or a kick even without decent training. but grappling?

Fail.

I think its Kickboxing and Wrestling

Kickboxing, keep distance and land strikes and wrestling will get you out of trouble when you are in trouble lots.

The American MMA scene is dominated by wrestlers. If you want to make it to the big leagues, you have to know how to wrestle.

That is, unless you're a Brazilian that's godly in Muay Thai and BJJ.
Or a Russian that's godly in Sambo and Boxing. Or some foreigner that's best of the best in a specialized martial art.

If you're American/Canadian, just take a look at the MMA gyms. They're all wrestlers there. If you can't wrestle, you'll get GNP'd before you make the big show.

I would say wrestling is the best base to start in because the way the judging overscores takedowns and obtaining the mount position it is the best way to win points and win by decision.

i rekon to start with do like, wrestling first its basic but its strong, do boxing aswell, get the basics down first like wrestling and boxing, then work your way to like muay thai and bjj or whatver, its better to get basics first dude.

Wrestling is definitely one to look into obviously. The clinch is where a fight can be very easily decided in the long run as it dictates where the fight goes. However, boxing as much as possible is worth it if you plan to become serious in the sport, because against another wrestler with superior ground game, you need to be able to finish him standing and keep the fight up. Vice versa, you need jiu jitsu to defend incase you need to bring the fight down against a better striker. All in all, given that everybody knows that a full game is needed.

The best 2 style base combo I think would be Wrestling and Boxing, just because you have ground and pound potential as well as the ability to stand on your feet. Wrestlers are usually, but not always a tad more difficult to submit due to their good base on the ground, no pun intended. However don't make them istake of standing incorrectly like someone else mentioned, which is often a mistake wrestlers make, which is leading too much with the lead foot, putting their weight on it and making themselves vulnerable to strikes.

I rate this necro a 4/10, goober thread.

Last edited:
Back