Belt question

Viskovitz

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I'm about to buy a belt but i can't decide between this 2:

1.- Deadlifting belt:
https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/belts/strength-shop-webbing-belt-back-support.html

deadlift-belt.jpg

Softer belt designed to deadlift with it.

Pros: should be really easy to adjust, very comfortable, useful for every lift, its cheaper 10 pounds cheaper.
Cons: it isn't as stiff, so won't offer as much (maybe very little) for squatting. Actually the description of the belt says "not recommended for squatting".

2.- Powerlifting belt:
https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/belts/strengthshop-10mm-double-prong-buckle-belt.html

img_0195.jpg

Thick, solid and tight, "propper" powerlifting belt for squatting. Artificial leather.

Pros: better for squatting, propper PL belt that everyone uses.
Cons: only better for squatting. Don't know if i'll be able to wear it for DLs, maybe could. Harder to adjust, specially with the double prong.

So my question is... if the benefits of the 2nd belt are worth the all around friendliness of use of the first. On principle, I'm the kind of guy who would prefer the DL belt and use it for everything, but as everyone uses the second type of belt maybe it's the way to go.

Any thoughts?

I'll take the second belt. Personally though I prefer the lever version, but the prongs are easier to adjust if you to wear it looser.

It just depends on why and for what particular exercises you plan to where it for.

I've used a prong belt for awhile (2007) and its fine. The only issue with it, is now I'm alot slimmer so its harder to fit. I'm thinking of an Inzer lever belt for my next one.

I did have a velcro one before, but over time it came apart mid-squat of a 1rm and I didn't like that at all. So no more velcro belts for me.

Harbinger has a $20 weightlifting belt. I had for a good three or four years of heavy use and abuse. If you want a softer belt to pull in I'd buy that along with the second belt in this thread.

Why do you think you can't wear a powerlifting belt when deadlifting?

I use my Inzer Lever belt when deadlifting with no problems.

Strengthshop has single prong belts, if you don't like the double.

I can Pull just fine in my 13mm Inzer.

Mighty as well get the second one and get years out of the thing, instead of a few months with the 'deadlift' belt.

I prefer lever over Prongs, but that's just a personal preference. The only downside to Lever Belts is it takes longer to adjust if you lose or gain weight. I bought a 10mm Scorpion Powerlifting belt from Amazon, and it works fine for both Squats and Deadlifts. Not too pricey, either.

TS, don't choose a belt just on price. A good one will last years and help you avoid injury. And I'd avoid any belt that states it can be used for Deadlifting but not Squatting. That's like a pair of Boxing Gloves that are marketed as only to be used to punch the opponent in the face, not his body:rolleyes:

Thanks for the answers guys. Some comments.

1.- You've convinced me to go for a propper powerlifting belt.
2.- I'm nor importing a belt to Europe from the US... and I'm also ordering a couple of weightlinfting shoes from Strenghtshop, so the belt should come from that page to cut costs.
3.- It turns out that Strenghtshop fomr Germany has better prices that tue UK web, so I'm ordering there... that leeds to the following question.

10mm double prong or 13mm single prong?

At first glance i prefer 10mm for confort and should be easier to use deadlifting, but double prongs are a liability and singles prongs work better. There's also the lever option, but I don't like the idea since they break with time (also the issue of having to adjust it when you gain or lose weight).

I had my Inzer lever belt (I think it's 13mm, not sure) for 12 years and it still works without issues besides tightening the screws here and there. It had heavy use and thrown around the place from 2004-2009, although I rarely use a belt now a days.

I would use the second belt, a regular powerlifting belt. These belts are designed with one goal in mind and that's to keep your core stable. Find one that fits well and use it!

Thanks for the answers guys. Some comments.

1.- You've convinced me to go for a propper powerlifting belt.
2.- I'm nor importing a belt to Europe from the US... and I'm also ordering a couple of weightlinfting shoes from Strenghtshop, so the belt should come from that page to cut costs.
3.- It turns out that Strenghtshop fomr Germany has better prices that tue UK web, so I'm ordering there... that leeds to the following question.

10mm double prong or 13mm single prong?

At first glance i prefer 10mm for confort and should be easier to use deadlifting, but double prongs are a liability and singles prongs work better. There's also the lever option, but I don't like the idea since they break with time (also the issue of having to adjust it when you gain or lose weight).

I have a 13mm double. Bit of a pain to get on and off until you break it in (Inzer brand anyway) but I like the security of the double prong and I like how the 13mm hugs my core.

As far as lifting shoes, save your $$$ and just buy a pair of Chuck Taylor's for 40 bucks.

13mm single prong or lever from a reputable company.

Why do people still buy cheap belts?

I've never seen an Inzer lever break, but even if it does they would likely replace the lever as its a "forever belt" guaranteed. Bottom line when it comes to belts it's better to just fork out the 100.00 bucks and get a good one than buy some 45.00 piece of shit off of eBay.

Back