Bellator champ Darrion Caldwell meets Kyoji Horiguchi for inaugural bantamweight belt at Rizin FF 14

Amazing card, amazing fight. Caldwell UD

Lol Caldwell got subbed in the third round after a dominant two rounds and then avenged that loss. Taimanglo isn't a bad fighter either, dude is tough as nails.

Not only that, but Taimonglo also came in over weight. Caldwell made weight so the fight was a catch weight. Wasn’t as bad a loss as some want to make it sound. Caldwell is the real deal. I hope he wins in Rizzin and keeps going in Bellator.

I’m watching this for sure now

I guess good for us fans.

I'm guessing Caldwell is going over there more or less because not much for him at 135 in Bellator right now. I'm not sure Rizin's belt is worth anything. I think it's very real possibility Rizin might not make it through 2019.

The size difference will be a bit more pronounced than this.

Screen Shot 2018-11-30 at 6.37.08 AM.png

The ring might be harder for Caldwell to adjust too, I wonder if Horiguchi wins they could do a rematch in the bellator cage, if caldwell wins I don't think there would be a point to a rematch in a cage though

Nice I got The Gooch by KO. I still can't forget how fast Caldwell was subd by that small Asian fighter lol.

Caldwell and the Gooch! Sounds like a buddy comedy or a sports radio show :)

Gooch by chocking KO - size will be a factor but not enough to keep the Wolf safe

The ring might be harder for Caldwell to adjust too, I wonder if Horiguchi wins they could do a rematch in the bellator cage, if caldwell wins I don't think there would be a point to a rematch in a cage though

These cross promotion deals with Coker always have a rematch clause unless the match was obviously lopsided to one fighter.

Aoki-Melendez was supposed to be a home and home but Melendez dominated so thoroughly that Aoki didn’t invoke the rematch in DREAM and said “the result said everything”...I think after a win or two they were talking about invoking the rematch but Strikeforce got hijacked and DREAM went under

This is a good match and a lot of people showing their ignorance about Caldwell or Horiguchi or both ITT. I’m a believer in Baroni’s travel theory and the ring and JMMA rules changes things. So Kyoji has that going for him. Caldwell is the bigger fighter and isn’t really a stationary rassler like some of the casuals who read about this and went straight to Caldwell’s fight finder would suggest. He’s not Andre Harrison one dimensional and low activity. He’s very active top fighter who isn’t looking for points. If Kyoji is going to spend a considerable amount of time under Wolf. He’s going to get finished especially with the rules expanding what Caldwell can do on top.

Last edited:
Amazing fight! Going with Caldwell but hoping Horiguchi pulls this one off. That is cool the RIZIN belt is on the line. I wonder how that will work if Caldwell takes it. Would be cool if he defended it each time he fights. Will be nice seeing Caldwell in the RIZIN ring fighting under RIZIN rules. Wonder how he will train to use soccer kicks, stomps, knees on the ground, and elbows (including the 12-6 elbow). Can't wait for this event!

These cross promotion deals with Coker always have a rematch clause unless the match was obviously lopsided to one fighter.

Aoki-Melendez was supposed to be a home and home but Melendez dominated so thoroughly that Aoki didn’t invoke the rematch in DREAM and said “the result said everything”...I think after a win or two they were talking about invoking the rematch but Strikeforce got hijacked and DREAM went under

This is a good match and a lot of people showing their ignorance about Caldwell or Horiguchi or both ITT. I’m a believer in Baroni’s travel theory and the ring and JMMA rules changes things. So Kyoji has that going for him. Caldwell is the bigger fighter and isn’t really a stationary rassler like some of the casuals who read about this and went straight to Caldwell’s fight finder would suggest. He’s not Andre Harrison one dimensional and low activity. He’s very active top fighter who isn’t looking for points. If Kyoji is going to spend a considerable amount of time under Wolf. He’s going to get finished especially with the rules expanding what Caldwell can do on top.

I'm expecting a first round suplex into a RNC finish like the Warren fight.

It would be awesome though if Kyoji survived the 10 minute first round and KO'd a badly gassed Caldwell.

Can't cheer for such a blatant weight cutter. Caldwell likely hasn't been a natural 135 since his freshman or sophmore year of HS.

Man vs Boy

I'm expecting a first round suplex into a RNC finish like the Warren fight.

It would be awesome though if Kyoji survived the 10 minute first round and KO'd a badly gassed Caldwell.

Can't cheer for such a blatant weight cutter. Caldwell likely hasn't been a natural 135 since his freshman or sophmore year of HS.

Man vs Boy

I think they are going with 3 five minute rounds for this one. All the other RIZIN rules will be in effect though.

If Horiguchi wins and it is a good fight, I could see a rematch in the Bellator cage under unified rules would make sense. I love seeing the promotions work like this together. Get another fighter to experience the mix of the rules and fighting in a ring.

I think it's a winnable fight for Gucci, despite the massive size difference. He just has to do what he does best and use his speed to get in and out on Caldwell. Regardless, Gucci has got some big cajones. A fight with Tenshin then a fight with Caldwell a couple of months later.

Fuck yes. Cross promotion to give the fans this fight is fucking awesome. Wish stuff like this happened more often.

That s a good card.

Oscar De La Hoya could learn from rizin.

I got Caldwell by split decision because I know once it goes to the judges score cards, they're going to make it closer than it actually was ‍♂️

Back