Bellator champ Darrion Caldwell meets Kyoji Horiguchi for inaugural bantamweight belt at Rizin FF 14

Siauliai

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Whoaa, so looks like rizin and bellator will work together in 2019 also. I have to go in this one with Horiguchi, experience is my main factor to pick him against Darrion Caldwell.
Opinions? who you got guys in this one?
Source : Via mmajunkie

Last edited:
Ok, now I'm definitely buying this. Rizin has been on fire lately.

I wanna go with Horiguchi, but I think Caldwell is the real deal, and this is going to look like a man vs a child. However, Horiguchi is one the fastest fighters alive, hopefully his speed helps him prevail.

I'm just happy a major US MMA org will be involved with RIZIN again. Even moreso that it's Bellator.

Caldwell vs Horiguchi will look like Caldwell/Warren IMO.

I didn't see Caldwell going back to bw or rizin.I think he gets his hands on Horiguchi enough to win a decision.

Nice I got The Gooch by KO. I still can't forget how fast Caldwell was subd by that small Asian fighter lol.

Nice I got The Gooch by KO. I still can't forget how fast Caldwell was subd by that small Asian fighter lol.
Lol Caldwell got subbed in the third round after a dominant two rounds and then avenged that loss. Taimanglo isn't a bad fighter either, dude is tough as nails.

Caldwell is gonna have a decent size advantage in this fight. I can see him rag dolling horiguchi and then subbing him. Caldwell is a beast in the grappling department

Wtf crazy fight. This is the last shit I expected to happen. Coker really risking it but it makes sense. He loses, goes up to 145 no big deal. He wins, Caldwell is a top 5 BW.

Omgggg Emanuel Newton is back!! Vs Jiri!!!
751144799.gif

“Bellator will send bantamweight champion Darrion Caldwell to Japan to fight Kyoji Horiguchi for the Rizin FF bantamweight title at the organization’s traditional year-end show.

The promotion today announced an agreement that will allow Bellator champ Caldwell (13-1) will fight Horiguchi (25-2) for the title at Rizin FF 14 on Dec. 31 at Saitama Super Arena in Saitama. The promotion’s inaugural 135-pound title will be on the line (via Twitter):

Rumors of a potential matchup between Caldwell, No. 9 in the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA bantamweight rankings, and former UFC title challenger Horiguchi began swirling within the past few weeks. Bellator President Scott Coker teased the matchup on Wednesday through social media, and the fight and stakes were finally confirmed during a Rizin FF news conference in Japan.

Coker commented on the fight and said he’s eager to see the reigning 135-pound champion from his country go overseas and attempt to capture a second belt.

“Working for the Japanese fight company K-1 was a magical time during my promotional career and I have always felt strongly that MMA in the ‘Land of the Rising Sun’ would rise again,” Coker said. “It truly is amazing to see what Nobuyuki Sakakibara has been able to do thus far with Rizin FF, so when he reached out to me about putting Darrion Caldwell against Kyoji Horiguchi for Rizin’s belt, we spoke to Darrion and he jumped at the opportunity. Bellator wants to support Rizin, and by sending our bantamweight champion to compete during their New Year’s Eve event, we look forward to this leading towards more collaboration between the two promotions in 2019. I want to wish Darrion luck in his quest to prove he is the best 135-pound fighter on the planet.”

Rizin FF President Nobuyuki Sakakibara was grateful to Coker’s willingness to collaborate and send Caldwell to Japan to fight Horiguchi, who is unbeaten in 10 fights since losing to then-champ Demetrious Johnson for the UFC bantamweight belt in April 2015.

“I am very grateful and honored that Bellator and Scott Coker would send us their unarguable bantamweight champion to fight for Rizin’s first-ever world title fight. This title fight will be a true champion vs. champion to determine the world’s best bantamweight fighter,” Sakakibara said. “We hope this kind gesture will kick off of a series of exciting matchups between both promotions in 2019. My dream would be that eventually we can co-promote a mega event in both countries with a ‘Champion Carnival’ taking place where stories and rivalries can be built and told.”

According to the announcement, the three-round (15-minute) title bout will be held in a ring under Rizin rules. Caldwell’s Bellator title will not be on the line.”

The latest Rizin FF 14 fight card now includes:

• Floyd Mayweather vs. Tenshin Nasukawa
  • Darrion Caldwell vs. Kyoji Horiguchi – for inaugural bantamweight title
  • Kanna Asakura vs. Ayaka Hamasaki
  • Samantha Jean-Francois vs. Rena Kubota
  • Johnny Case vs. Yusuke Yachi
  • Kazuyuki Miyata vs. Erson Yamamoto
  • Manel Kape vs. Ulka Sasaki
  • Yuki Motoya vs. Justin Scoggins
  • Tofiq Musayev vs. Nobumitsu Tyson
  • Emanuel Newton vs. Jiri Prochazka
  • Justyna Haba vs. Shinju Nqzawa Auclair
  • Daron Cruickshank vs. Damien Brown
https://mmajunkie.com/2018/11/bella...uchi-inaugural-bantamweight-title-rizin-ff-14

Size vs speed. This is gonna be a good fight. Caldwell is legit af. Leaning Caldwell, but pulling for Horiguchi.

Lmao, read "Horodecki" at first, came in here excited and shit.

So Mayweather fightin?

Omgggg Emanuel Newton is back!! Vs Jiri!!!
751144799.gif
Holy shit, I forgot about the Hardcore Kid. Man, if there ever was a fighter made for PRIDE rules...

It irks me how underrated his fights against Beltran, McGeary, and Vassell were. His championship reign in Bellator was something else. Once Phil Davis came on the scene, everyone seemed to forget the guy.

I hope he comes back, he's had one of those nasty declines every other former Bellator champ seems to have (example: Galvao, Halsey, M'Pumbu, Lombard)

Back